Please help ! Not sure what i am doing wrong here.... I want

Options
Hello everyone -

I have been trying to be conscious about my eating habits for the last 6-9 years - you would think i would be on top of everything. I am getting married this year and i really want to get to my goal weight which is MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 125 Pounds and i am currently 139 pounds.

I know it is possible to do this until Sept 5th but i haven't had any change since Christmas when i hit 136 to 139 pounds. What is it that i am doing wrong here.

Here is what i know and learned so far.............

work out as much as you can within your limits but if you can't make it to the gym you can also
walk the dog or take a walk in the park .... take stairs instead of the elevators if you can

Avoid sugar
substitute white to brown or multi grain
Multi -Grain/brown bread
brown rice
brown sugar or no sugar at all (sweet and low)
milk instead of cream
8 cups of water a day
try to go caffeine free
if possible no alcohol or cigarettes
lean meat (turkey or chicken)
nothing fried - mostly grill
substitute red meat with fish dishes
olive oil instead of butter
leafy greens (spinach, broccoli, bok choy)
protein shakes
never miss breakfast
eat small meals
wait 20 min after you eat to see if you are still hungry

I can go on and on ---- All of this i follow as much as i can !

I am 27 F - 5'4 - 139

my heaviest i was 165pounds - 169pounds
My prime i was 119pounds - 125pounds
MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 125 Pounds

Currently i am 139pounds from 169 pounds - yes i lost a lot of weight already but i have been jumping between 136 - 139 for the last 8 months and i can't seem to go lower than 136 - last couple days I've gained again even tho i am keeping my journal and following all i learned and know.

I am not sure what to do - here is a sample of my day and my eating habits -

I adming i haven't been working out as much but i re-started again couple days in a row right now it hurts to walk and i am trying to take it easy - before i was in the gym for 4-5 days a week boxing and i understand i need to go back but it's soooooooooooooooooo hard with having knee high snow when the weather is like -36 here.

Anyhow here is my yesterday's journal.

MORNING - Breakfast

breakfast shake which has 1 grape fruit juice, 1scoop of fibre, 1 scoop of Greens + and water - blend it and take my morning vitamins

which are

- Fish oil
- Magnesium/ Calcium
- Green Tea Extract
- Chromium (suppressant for sweets - it levels your sugar )
- CLA (Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) ....Studies of CLA in human diets show that it tends to reduce body fat particularly abdominal fat, improves serum lipid profiles, and decreases whole-body glucose uptake
- Vitamin E
- B12 complex
- Vitamin C

Grapefruit - Raw, pink and red, all areas, 1 cup sections, with juice
Weight Watchers - 100% Whole Wheat Bread
the Laughing Cow - Light 8% Cheese, 1 portions (33g)

Have cheese on my bread and grapefruit is with my shake and i have 3 egg white boiled.

SNACK-
1 medium apple snack

AFTERNOON - Lunch

Broccoli - Cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
Baked Salmon, 1 oz
Brown Rice, 1/3 cup cooked

SNACK-
Hunt's/Snack Pack - Lemon Meringue Pie, 1 Pudding Cup (120 kalories)

NIGHT- DInner
Chicken Stir Fry - Homemade - Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry, 1/4 cup with noodles

SNACK-
1 Medium Orange

So what's wrong here - other than maybe i can cut the snacks like the lemmon meringue pie and get on my old routine to work out - still trying but i thought my eating habits were okk

Please help i really really don't know what else to do

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone -

I have been trying to be conscious about my eating habits for the last 6-9 years - you would think i would be on top of everything. I am getting married this year and i really want to get to my goal weight which is MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 125 Pounds and i am currently 139 pounds.

I know it is possible to do this until Sept 5th but i haven't had any change since Christmas when i hit 136 to 139 pounds. What is it that i am doing wrong here.

Here is what i know and learned so far.............

work out as much as you can within your limits but if you can't make it to the gym you can also
    walk the dog or take a walk in the park .... take stairs instead of the elevators if you can

Avoid sugar
    substitute white to brown or multi grain
    Multi -Grain/brown bread
    brown rice
    brown sugar or no sugar at all (sweet and low)
    milk instead of cream
    8 cups of water a day
    try to go caffeine free
    if possible no alcohol or cigarettes
    lean meat (turkey or chicken)
    nothing fried - mostly grill
    substitute red meat with fish dishes
    olive oil instead of butter
    leafy greens (spinach, broccoli, bok choy)
    protein shakes
    never miss breakfast
    eat small meals
    wait 20 min after you eat to see if you are still hungry

I can go on and on ---- All of this i follow as much as i can !

I am 27 F - 5'4 - 139

my heaviest i was 165pounds - 169pounds
    My prime i was 119pounds - 125pounds
    MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 125 Pounds

Currently i am 139pounds from 169 pounds - yes i lost a lot of weight already but i have been jumping between 136 - 139 for the last 8 months and i can't seem to go lower than 136 - last couple days I've gained again even tho i am keeping my journal and following all i learned and know.

I am not sure what to do - here is a sample of my day and my eating habits -

I adming i haven't been working out as much but i re-started again couple days in a row right now it hurts to walk and i am trying to take it easy - before i was in the gym for 4-5 days a week boxing and i understand i need to go back but it's soooooooooooooooooo hard with having knee high snow when the weather is like -36 here.

Anyhow here is my yesterday's journal.

MORNING - Breakfast

breakfast shake which has 1 grape fruit juice, 1scoop of fibre, 1 scoop of Greens + and water - blend it and take my morning vitamins

which are

- Fish oil
    - Magnesium/ Calcium
    - Green Tea Extract
    - Chromium (suppressant for sweets - it levels your sugar )
    - CLA (Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) ....Studies of CLA in human diets show that it tends to reduce body fat particularly abdominal fat, improves serum lipid profiles, and decreases whole-body glucose uptake
    - Vitamin E
    - B12 complex
    - Vitamin C

Grapefruit - Raw, pink and red, all areas, 1 cup sections, with juice
    Weight Watchers - 100% Whole Wheat Bread
    the Laughing Cow - Light 8% Cheese, 1 portions (33g)

Have cheese on my bread and grapefruit is with my shake and i have 3 egg white boiled.

SNACK-
    1 medium apple snack

AFTERNOON - Lunch

Broccoli - Cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 stalk, large (11"-12" long)
    Baked Salmon, 1 oz
    Brown Rice, 1/3 cup cooked

SNACK-
    Hunt's/Snack Pack - Lemon Meringue Pie, 1 Pudding Cup (120 kalories)

NIGHT- DInner
    Chicken Stir Fry - Homemade - Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry, 1/4 cup with noodles

SNACK-
    1 Medium Orange

So what's wrong here - other than maybe i can cut the snacks like the lemmon meringue pie and get on my old routine to work out - still trying but i thought my eating habits were okk

Please help i really really don't know what else to do

Thank you for your time.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without seeing your excercise routine..how often and how long and what type.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    This is just an opinion... but are you maybe being too strict?
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would say off the top of my head that you aren't eating enough. That doesn't appear to be enough calories to fuel your body. Some people use the term "starvation mode" but I am coming to prefer the term "conservation mode" your body may not be getting enough fuel, so it is holding on to everything it gets so it can function properly. Just my thoughts - not a lot of healthy fats there either - maybe up the fish at lunch from just 1 oz and add some nuts or avocado or EVOO. Maybe someone else will have more for you also - good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    Are you staying within your calorie limits everyday?

Are you eating your exercise calories?

When you have your snacks, try combining a carb and protein. My snacks are usually around 200 calories each.

But yeah, I bet you are not eating enough.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Ummmm... how many calories does that add up to? Are you getting enough? Are you eating the exercise calories? I know I lost quite a few pounds the first couple of months I was on 1200 and eating exercise calories, but then it tapered off, and I was stuck like you are. I bumped my calories up, and actually have only exercised 3 times since mid December (holidays, then sicker than a dog for over 3 weeks now). I suddenly lost 5.5 lbs in 3 weeks! I love being able to eat more food!
  • amycakes812
    Options
    You actually might not be eating enough. Try logging everythibg you eat here for a few days to make sure you are getting at least 1200 calories a day. (before workouts) Try upping your calories a bit to see if that gives you a jump start. Also, go through some of the posts here on the boards to get some ideas for food, info on eating your exercise calories, etc. Good luck, and great job on your weight loss before coming here!
  • ammarah
    Options
    hi my weight is 57kg my height is 53 is it ok
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would say off the top of my head that you aren't eating enough. That doesn't appear to be enough calories to fuel your body. Some people use the term "starvation mode" but I am coming to prefer the term "conservation mode" your body may not be getting enough fuel, so it is holding on to everything it gets so it can function properly. Just my thoughts - not a lot of healthy fats there either - maybe up the fish at lunch from just 1 oz and add some nuts or avocado or EVOO. Maybe someone else will have more for you also - good luck!! :flowerforyou:

Yes, I would say, more protein and you are probably not eating enough.
  • melisay
    Options
    OMG you guys are wonderful - This place is awesome with great support

i am not sure what this means "Are you eating the exercise calories?"

when i look at my food diary this is what i have

Calories Carbs Fat Protein SatFat Trn Fat
    Total 598 68 31 24 4 0
    Daily Goal: 1,200 165 40 45 13 0
    Remaining: 602 97 9 21 9 0

Because i don't work out i thought i can leave 600 Calories hanging.

I haven't been working out to be honest but i used to do boxing sessions 4 to 5 days a week 90 min each.

Which was hard core - now i jog 30 min a day morning -

I do feel full tho with all the food I've had - I am so very scared to be as heavy as i was before -

so i should eat more ?? What is my exercise calories?

Also how do you guys get your ticker show automatically i have no idea how to ? :bigsmile:
  • melisay
    Options
    Thank you very much
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Also....
    Not ALL red meat is bad, it just depends on getting lean cuts.
    I agree, you need more HEALTHY fats and probably aren't eating enough calories.
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yes, I would say, more protein and you are probably not eating enough.

Believe it or not what works best for me is 50% protein, 30% fat, and 20% carbs. Jillian Michaels, 6 week body makeover, and other programs out there have a very scientific way to determine what will work best for your body type. It has made a huge difference for me. I had to go back and recalculate and discovered I was not eating nearly enough in general and definitely not enough protein. I ate 2000 calories yesterday and dropped 2 pounds! I have been stuck since January! So...don't be afraid to eat! :drinker:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No you're not eating enough!! You need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories. Your exercise calories are the calories you earn doing exercise. See the FAQ for answers to some of these questions and some of the "Newbies, please read me" posts. They will help you a lot!! :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    On MFP you have a set range of calories... I am assuming your traditional 1200 (since you SHOULD NOT go below that number). That is without calculating in any exercise. If you work out and add that to MFP under the Exercise tab it will calculate the calories you NEED to eat to keep you above 1200, because for MOST people if they drop below that range for too long their bodies respond and think it's going to starve because it isn't getting enough to function.

Make sense?
  • melisay
    Options
    Also....

I will def try to eat more ! Can you tell me tho how you get your ticker show automatically when you post.

Thank you
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Also....

I will def try to eat more ! Can you tell me tho how you get your ticker show automatically when you post.

Thank you

You go into tools.... set up a ticker.... then copy paste it to your signature (I think that's how I did it... it's been a while). There should be a FAQ about it too.

Also, maybe while you are in Tools look at your BMR... that's the BASIC amount your body NEEDS to simply have your body function if all you did was lay in bed all day (still), breathe and have organ function... I PERSONALLY believe you should be below THAT number, but that is just me.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was a lot of info, kudos to you for doing your homework. And First off, Welcome to our little slice of (low cal) heaven.

Um, well I can see a few things right off the bat,
    first and formost,

1200 calories is too few. I can say with a LOT of confidence that it probably won't work for you.
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say you are leaving 600 calories on the table?
    if you mean your only eating 600 a day.......Oh mel, you have to eat those.

you are 5'4" and 139 lbs

your maintenance calories (What you would eat to stay the same weight normally) is around 1900 calories.

1200 calories is 1.3 lbs a week loss goal, which is really high for you. The thing is, the less weight we have to loose, the less our body wants to part with it. Eating less then what you should be won't help because your body can enter starvation mode and start hoarding calories and shutting down non-essential processes.
    So my suggestion (take it for what it's worth), is that you should be at between 1400 and 1500 calories a day, and your exercise routine should be a mix of cardio and weight training, because you are low enough where you can see the muscles, so toning them will help.

I hope you find all the answers you're looking for!

Best luck to you mel!

-Banks
  • melisay
    Options
    Thank you very much - According to my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator

this is me

Your estimated BMR is: 1,351 calories/day*

I will eat more but i honestly do feel full - is it because i mostly drink about almost 3 liter water a day -

i will give it couple weeks with eating more i hope something changes 'cause i have been the same weight last little while - and it's possibly what you all said my body thinks i am starving - lol

I am so happy to be here and thank you all for your support

cheers
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, and don't freak out....

Because you've been eating so low for a while now your body is kind of programmed to hang on to everything you're eating. That's why you're not seeing any loss. When you first up your calories, your body is still going to be programmed to hang onto food for as long as it can. You may see a weight gain for the first 2-3 weeks. Do not panic! Do not cut back on calories again! Your body will soon see that you're going to be giving it the food and nutrients that it needs to operate and it will start letting the pounds go again. You'll begin seeing losses when you step on the scale.