setting the V02 max for a Polar Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Can anyone help me as to what this number should be set at? Or a simple way to figure it out?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If its the FT40 or FT60, it should have the fitness test in it.

You lie still for 5 minutes with the watch and strap on, and it determines your Vo2Max.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I did this at the gym last night but, the trainer set up my programme! I work my HRM FT80 (I think, it's purple anyway) and that synced in with the treadmill! I'd be interested to see what the responses are on here!
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Funny your last post got deleted? Here is a site that can help http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You simply need to determine (2) things.

1) Whats your maximum heart rate.
    Your maximum heart rate = 220 - Age so 220-42 = 178

2) Whats your resting heart rate.
    Your resting heart rate you can measure with your FT6. To get your resting heart rate you should make sure you have not had any stimulants (cigarettes, caffeine, etc.) and its been at least 3 hours since you last exercised. Just put on your HRM, and lie down for 5 minuets. Use your average heart rate during this time as your resting heart rate

With these two things you can then use this equation to estimate your OwnIndex AKA V02 Max

V02 Max = 15 x Maximum Heart Rate / Resting Heart Rate
  • Pennysue2728
    Options
    Thank you for all the information. I have an older HRM. It's a Polar F6. The reason I posted this question is because the calorie burn on my HRM has something to do with this number. I seem to burn a lot of calories while working out. I like to workout with my heart rate between 145bpm -160bpm. I did some hill drills on the treadmill for about 90 minutes on Sunday and my HRM had a calorie burn of about 800 calories. Just seems kinda high.

Again, thank you. I will figure out what this number should be and hopefully have some better weight loss soon:)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the information. I have an older HRM. It's a Polar F6. The reason I posted this question is because the calorie burn on my HRM has something to do with this number. I seem to burn a lot of calories while working out. I like to workout with my heart rate between 145bpm -160bpm. I did some hill drills on the treadmill for about 90 minutes on Sunday and my HRM had a calorie burn of about 800 calories. Just seems kinda high.

Again, thank you. I will figure out what this number should be and hopefully have some better weight loss soon:)

145-160 heart rate for 90 minutes and 800 calories? Sounds about right for a woman I'd probably say. I usually burn 450-500 in just 30 minutes of steady state 150-160 heart rate but I am a large man. I use an FT60 which calculates V02max automatically so I'm fairly confident in the numbers.