GI DIET... WHO'S TRIED IT OR HEARD OF IT?

Options
A friend gave me a copy of the GI diet has anyone tried it? It does seem like a really sensible diet eating foods that keep you full for longer and stop your blood sugar from dropping and peaking. It actually sounds like it is a really good healthy diet and apparently your not hungry on it?? Do any of you know about it. A yummy breakfast for example is porridge with almonds, raisins and fresh orange segments stirred through with a little honey mmmmmm x

I am thinking of giving it a try. It sounds like you are only aiming to lose 1lb per week on it.

Any feed back would be great thankyou x

Replies

• emmag25
    Options
    Hi I have heard of the GI diet I suffer from PCOS and a GI Diet is recommended to combat the weight gain that comes with the hormonal imbalance, I have been following it for about 4 days so not an expert! but I am finding that I don't feel so tired mid afternoon and that I don't appear to be suffering from any hunger pangs so far! I bought the Living the GI diet but it seems a little outdated - it also says that Honey is in the Red zone for a high GI content so I've purchased Agave nectar syrup which has a low GI and its lovely and doesn't have that 'chemically' after taste that some sweetners have, It also says that raisins and bananas are on the red list but on some other websites I get conflicting info that they are on a amber list very confusing! What book do you have?

I've just ordered - How to suceed with the Glyceamic Index diet from amazon its a pocket book only 2.99 and the reviews were good so I'm hoping that adds a bit more clarification!

Emma
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.
  • emmag25
    Options
    Those reports are very old, they are also do not state who was the company testing the subjects as its an American report, there is no NHS in America and companies that produce trials do not tend to be unbiased and there is normally an underlying financial benefit to the results. Its been recommended by my doctor so I'll continue and see if it works for me, if I feel better and my weight drops at a controlled rate then I'm happy :-)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Those reports are very old, they are also do not state who was the company testing the subjects as its an American report, there is no NHS in America and companies that produce trials do not tend to be unbiased and there is normally an underlying financial benefit to the results. Its been recommended by my doctor so I'll continue and see if it works for me, if I feel better and my weight drops at a controlled rate then I'm happy :-)

i agree, you should follow the diet your doc outlined as you suffer from PCOS, the above studies were for the OP
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I follow a low GI way with my low-carb intake and its a GREAT way to rid yourself of the traditional carb-addictions for the bad carbs out there.

I feel a significant difference in how my body reacts - and where Im on restrictions as it is, I eat healthy every day, and by selecting the foods that sustain your insulin/sugar levels longer, you avoid the typical CRASH that pasta gives after consuming it.

A Dermatologist and Endocrinologist I am a patient for, both agreed a low-carb intake that targets low glycemic foods was the optimal choice for me... they were SPOT ON!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Err... A few points, I guess.

1) Yes, you should follow the recommendation of your doctor.

2) 2007 is not that old for a research study. But even if these studies were from the 1970s, they'd still have merit if they are well designed studies. A good scientist won't waste his/her time studying something that's already been thoroughly answered.

3) Most scientific articles clearly state who funded the study and whether there is any conflict of interest. The first study listed states on the first page "Supported by grant R03 TW005773-03 from the National Institutes of Health and grant 500404/2003-8 from the Brazilian National Research Council–CNPq" It wasn't funded by some random drug/supplement company that was trying to prove a point.

4) If you like a particular diet plan, then you like it. That's not something anyone can argue with. If it's working for you, then it's working for you and that's great. But dismissing the science because it doesn't fit your bias shows a lack of intellectual honesty. Just say "I like the GI diet and here's why..." Don't say the science is bunk :(
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know that the GI diet will give greater weight loss than other diets, but you are correct that it is a sensible healthy diet so if it sounds like something you can live with long term then give it a try.
  • 1hotbiscuit
    1hotbiscuit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me a copy of the GI diet has anyone tried it? It does seem like a really sensible diet eating foods that keep you full for longer and stop your blood sugar from dropping and peaking. It actually sounds like it is a really good healthy diet and apparently your not hungry on it?? Do any of you know about it. A yummy breakfast for example is porridge with almonds, raisins and fresh orange segments stirred through with a little honey mmmmmm x

I am thinking of giving it a try. It sounds like you are only aiming to lose 1lb per week on it.

Any feed back would be great thankyou x

I did the GI Diet a couple years ago when I gained a bunch of weight. I had 2 little ones at home and was doing in-home daycare so was eating what the kids were eating but also eating what they left on their plates...Anyway. I read about the GI Diet and ordered the book. Lost 30 pounds and never felt hungry or deprieved. PLUS the weight stayed off and that was 5 years ago. Two years ago I decided to start "boot camp" and started walking and lost a little more weight but it wasn't coming off the way I wanted. Started back on the GI D and started losing again then found this website and have lost 8 more pounds so far. I didn't follow the Stage 1 and Stage 2 and yes I still drink but in moderation (mostly). It worked for me b/c I like eating whole grain, "natural foods", lean proteins and vegatables. It really is common sense but having it spelled out in black and white err....green, yellow and red that I really like.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It worked for me b/c I like eating whole grain, "natural foods", lean proteins and vegatables. It really is common sense but having it spelled out in black and white err....green, yellow and red that I really like.

LOL!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the comments everyone very interesting thankyou x
  • emmag25
    Options

Err... A few points, I guess.

1) Yes, you should follow the recommendation of your doctor.

2) 2007 is not that old for a research study. But even if these studies were from the 1970s, they'd still have merit if they are well designed studies. A good scientist won't waste his/her time studying something that's already been thoroughly answered.

3) Most scientific articles clearly state who funded the study and whether there is any conflict of interest. The first study listed states on the first page "Supported by grant R03 TW005773-03 from the National Institutes of Health and grant 500404/2003-8 from the Brazilian National Research Council–CNPq" It wasn't funded by some random drug/supplement company that was trying to prove a point.

4) If you like a particular diet plan, then you like it. That's not something anyone can argue with. If it's working for you, then it's working for you and that's great. But dismissing the science because it doesn't fit your bias shows a lack of intellectual honesty. Just say "I like the GI diet and here's why..." Don't say the science is bunk :(

Please tell me where in my comment I stated the 'Science is bunk'? Everyone has an opinion but don't put words in my mouth.

It may have been "Supported by grant R03 TW005773-03 from the National Institutes of Health and grant 500404/2003-8 from the Brazilian National Research Council–CNPq" but doesn't state who funded it therefore cannot be 100% unbias.

2007 is old for a reasearch study, there are no details regarding each individual studied just that they were 'obese' no idea of any other medical problems. Its not the most through of reports, in fact as a test study report its very basic. "A good scientist won't waste his/her time studying something that's already been thoroughly answered." Unless independent a science like any other profession will produce what they are paid for.

"4) If you like a particular diet plan, then you like it. That's not something anyone can argue with. If it's working for you, then it's working for you and that's great. But dismissing the science because it doesn't fit your bias shows a lack of intellectual honesty. Just say "I like the GI diet and here's why..." Don't say the science is bunk :("

As I stated its only been 4 days I have no idea if I like it or hate it just that so far I don't feel tired and I don't feel hungry. I did not dismiss the science - which by the way is very naive of you if you think that this one basic study is the whole science in the world regarding the GI diet -just that one basic study with very few details may not be the best reference, and then for you to have the audacity to state that it shows my 'lack of intellectual honesty' why? because I believe that an old, basic, lacking in detail report may not provide the whole picture? I think that says more about your intellectual honesty and naiviety than mine,
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

2007 is old for a reasearch study, there are no details regarding each individual studied just that they were 'obese' no idea of any other medical problems. Its not the most through of reports, in fact as a test study report its very basic. "A good scientist won't waste his/her time studying something that's already been thoroughly answered." Unless independent a science like any other profession will produce what they are paid for.

er, no. I haven't looked at how it applies to these studies in particular, but a good measure of the rigor and lack of bias in a scientific study is where it is published. If it appears in a peer reviewed journal then the study will have met certain criteria.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I hope it's nothing like the trash they fed us in bootcamp! hahah.