Gym when sick?

Options
Ive been fighting a sinus infection for a couple days now and tried doing cardio the last couple days but i feel like even though i am not pushing myself to hard i am making my cold worst? Do you guys still do cardio and work out when sick? My calorie goal for the day is 1200 and it is really hard to not go over lately since all i want is food that tastes good. Also does anyone have any remedies for congestion? Any special hot tea to drink? I just want to get better so i can get back on the wagon! Thanks :)

Replies

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Rest and get well first. If I'm really sick, not simply "not feeling well", then there's no reason to work out and prolong whatever I've got.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym when you are sick. Not good for you or the others. In fact, you probably shouldn't exercise at all if you're not well. I suffer with sinus too and there are times I simply can't function with it. Hope you feel better soon.
  • mrmarch911
    mrmarch911 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    rest lots get well soon!!!
  • sryan8408
    Options
    If you are sick, you shouldn't go to the gym. You're going to get other people sick. Workout at home if you feel up to it.
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you probably are making it worst because our body cant handle being sick and being worked hard
    you may not fee like your burning any calories but your body is still working hard to fight the infection
    give our body a rest and let it get better
    if you go over for a few days its not the end of the world at least it was because you were sick and not that you gave up =]
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always heard that if it's above the neck, you're still ok to exercise. If it's below (i.e. chest cold, bronchitis), you should rest until it gets better.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I always heard that if it's above the neck, you're still ok to exercise. If it's below (i.e. chest cold, bronchitis), you should rest until it gets better.

This is what they say on p90x and it makes sense to me. Then again a sinus infection is going to affect your breathing which in turn will change how effective your workout is.
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get a bottle of L-Lysine. It is a supplement. A lot of folks tell you citrus for vitamin C, but if you are already infected, or have this secondarily to a cold, it is too late. Lysine helps build the immune system. I pop one a day with my multi vitamin and have not gotten sick at all this fall. I live by it.

For sinus discomfort, I use an Ayr Sinus flush kit. You can use it to shoot soothing salene solution into your sinus cavities, and help break up the infection. Others swear by a netti-pot. It basically is the same concept. I used to use antibiotics and it never effectively removed the sinus infection, but sinus flushes work wonders, and you aren't having to medicate. Sometimes, it is the simple things that make the most sense.

As far as working out and doing cardio, I see no reason to stop. Just concede to the fact that you are sick, you body is fighting the infection, and you aren't going to be able to go at it like an animal until you are better. It's okay to slow it down a little. Drink plenty of water. That is always good advice.

EDIT: I have seen a lot of folks say don't go to the gym. This is good advice if you are contageous. Otherwise, I see no reason not to go. It is easy to use your not feeling well as an excuse to stop going, and then before you know it, you haven't worked out in a month. Only you know if you are that kind of person. When you say "sinus infection" I am assuming clogged sinuses with relatively little else going on. If you have a cold or the flu, don't work out- rest and get better.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    As I sit here with my sinus infection answering your post, I have not worked out at the gym for a week. I start back today but I did go to the dr yesterday and get an antibiotic after spending 1 -1/2 weeks fighting it myself. You might want to try a sinus wash, it's really yucky and I dislike doing it but it really does help clear out alot of the junk that's in your head. Good luck and I know how you feel.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I, too, have heard that if it's above the neck (head cold), then you are okay to exercise. If it's in your lungs, take the time and rest. If you have a fever, then definitely stay home. Even if it's "only" a head cold and you decide to exercise, listen to your body. You're probably not going to be able to go all out.
  • gilliane1971
    Options
    I had congestion and the practice nurse suggested anti histamines to help relieve it and i'm feeling better again
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone :) i gave it a rest today which is probably a good thing because i got a fever tonight and started feeling worst :/ so it is probably good i took the day off. thanks for all the tips :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Hard exercise compromises the immune system temporarily. And if you are sick, then you will prolong your sickness. Rest and recoup.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Would you want to workout next to someone who was sick?