Burn more calories in less time

Options
Whenever I feel like I want to get a little lighter (usually because my jeans are feeling a little tighter), I work intervals into my routine.

Intervals are one of the fastest ways around to shed fat. Women who spent 20 minutes mixing sprints with jogging lost three times the fat off their legs and butt in 15 weeks than those jogging steadily for 40 minutes, a study from the University of New South Wales in Sydney finds. Burn triple the fat in half the time? Bring it on!

To try intervals, do this speedy slimming routine up to six days a week. Pair it with your toning session or do it solo, for results guaranteed to amaze you.

Hop on any cardio machine you like for the time allotted and the exertion level noted (1 is the easiest and 10 is next to impossible).

Warm up for 4 minutes at a level 3.
Sprint for 30 seconds at a level 7.
Recover for 90 seconds at a level 4.
Sprint for 30 seconds at a level 8.
Sprint for 30 seconds at a level 9.
Recover for 30 seconds at a level 4.
Cool down for 3 minutes, 30 seconds at level 3

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like I want to get a little lighter (usually because my jeans are feeling a little tighter), I work intervals into my routine.

Intervals are one of the fastest ways around to shed fat. Women who spent 20 minutes mixing sprints with jogging lost three times the fat off their legs and butt in 15 weeks than those jogging steadily for 40 minutes, a study from the University of New South Wales in Sydney finds. Burn triple the fat in half the time? Bring it on!

To try intervals, do this speedy slimming routine up to six days a week. Pair it with your toning session or do it solo, for results guaranteed to amaze you.

Hop on any cardio machine you like for the time allotted and the exertion level noted (1 is the easiest and 10 is next to impossible).

• candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I saw this in Self Magazine from Jillian Michael;s. It's hard. I do it on the treadmill and I feel like I am going to fly off when I get to 9. Plus the treadmill makes a really loud noise when I go that high. I think I land heavy. =(
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Ahh HIIT training.... kinda.

if you like that Anna, you should try mine:devil: (it's a little more evil then yours, but same idea).
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I did something similar to this about 8 years ago, when I was trying Body for Life. I think it is more effective. But any time you up the intensity you will burn more.

I live to interval between cardio and toning exercises. I find that pretty effective.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

if you like that Anna, you should try mine:devil: (it's a little more evil then yours, but same idea).

lol I don't need anything harder (I just saw this on the Yahoo home page and thought it was interesting). I think me doing anything is an accomplishment. I would like to run a 5K this summer, but I have to get up to 5 blocks first.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    here is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/39401-dreading-and-yet-dying-for-my-hiit-training

I do this type 2 to 3 times a week. I can't WAIT till its warm enough to go to the park to do my REAL routine. This one just doesn't feel the same. Being outside doing 30 yard wind sprints is SOOO much better then the tread mill IMHO.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

lol I don't need anything harder (I just saw this on the Yahoo home page and thought it was interesting). I think me doing anything is an accomplishment. I would like to run a 5K this summer, but I have to get up to 5 blocks first.

BAAAHH, you can do it! just think of how good you will feel when you show me up! :tongue: (just ask my wife, she lost 17 lbs this month :grumble: :love: )
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    You dont have to go 9 - thats more of a guide line. I am 5'1 my legs are not meant to move that fast lol. The point is to make it challanging. For me the most I can go at 100% is 7.8 and to me and my body that is like ninja speed. If you just want to try it out change the numbers see how you like it. Than next time you can adjust it again. To me I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee intervals. They are fun and after I feel like I am on top of the world...:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Urbinachick, you bring up a really good point!

For those of us that with ridiculously short legs, I feel like I am running full tilt at around 7mph. My body just doesn't MOVE faster than that.

So here is my question, when you enter your exercise on MFP, do you go by the actual number or by the type of activity? EX. 3mph = walking a dog

I normally do it by the type of activity and how fast I FEEL like I'm going. If I'm jogging, I put 4.5, which is only listed as very very brisk walking. :embarassed:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I know how you feel. 4.3 - 4.5 I am at a good jog. Than I look over at skinny long legs next to me and she is 6.0 and not breaking a sweat! So I check my heart rate which is a good 168 and remind myself that I am doing just fine. :mad:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Right guys the thing is to mix it up. I don't have a cardio machine. But when I go for a "run" I will walk a little, jog a little, walk a little, Jog a little faster, walk a little jog even a little faster, walk a little, run a little, then go back down.

when I list, I'm always walking a dog:bigsmile:, I know I'm burning a little more than that but I usually eat a snack at the end of the day that I don't get recorded, so I figure it balances. It's worked so far for me.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I thought there was something wrong with me that I can't get up to high speed w/o jogging!!
    You dont have to go 9 - thats more of a guide line. I am 5'1 my legs are not meant to move that fast lol. The point is to make it challanging. For me the most I can go at 100% is 7.8 and to me and my body that is like ninja speed. If you just want to try it out change the numbers see how you like it. Than next time you can adjust it again. To me I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee intervals. They are fun and after I feel like I am on top of the world...:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. 4.3 - 4.5 I am at a good jog. Than I look over at skinny long legs next to me and she is 6.0 and not breaking a sweat! So I check my heart rate which is a good 168 and remind myself that I am doing just fine. :mad:

I was jogging today at 4.6 - 4.8.
    The guy on the treadmill and I were pacing one another, moving in sync. It was a nice flow.
    I glanced over. Daddy Longlegs was cruising at 6.1.

Length of legs matters!!! (At least to us shorties) :wink:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    LOL I KNOW RIGHT!!!!! It's ok they want to be short too hehe:happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    here is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/39401-dreading-and-yet-dying-for-my-hiit-training

I do this type 2 to 3 times a week. I can't WAIT till its warm enough to go to the park to do my REAL routine. This one just doesn't feel the same. Being outside doing 30 yard wind sprints is SOOO much better then the tread mill IMHO.

lol, we live in a very small town, everybody knows me. If I was doing frog hops or crab walks in the park everybody would be " Hey Anna's been drinking":bigsmile: I do something similar to this in the gym at the school (my hubby teachs so I can get in)

I start out doing lay ups at the baskets on the ends of the courts for a little while (I'm really bad about keeping track of time), then I'll walk around the gym a few times. Then I do full court sprints till I can't run any more, then I'll walk around the gym, then I do shuffles across the gym, then sprints, walk, grape vines, sprints, walk, skip, then up and down the bleacher till I can't go any more.

I really do love to run, but I like to run really fast for a short distance. I hate to keep running and running. In high school I was a sprinter, and I just love the power I feel in running as hard as I can, I just can't run that hard very long. That's why running a 5k this summer is going to be a big challenge to me.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Yea people use to look at me crazy too but they have gotten use to me skipping to the side and running backwards (tredmil at the gym). Some still give me the "wth is she doing" look, from time to time.
  • nicolet04
    Options
    ok so i just got done ith this workout, and it was awesome!!!!! 9 was really pushin it, but i did it!!!!
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I think some of you may be confused. I thought the levels are levels of intensity not speed levels on the treadmill. So the speed will be different for everyone. Level intensity 9 may be a at 6 mph or 10 mph for others.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    couple of things:

first LOL, ninja speed. I like that.

second, yep, the speed of the tread mill is irrelivant, its all about pushing beyond your comfort zone.

third, aww cmon Anna, don't let what other people think stop you. Ok Ok, skip the frog jumps, run backwards in stead, and add more sprints into the middle (you work your upper with the crab crawls though...)

Hey worst case, the best part of small towns is, they're small. Just drive 5 minutes away and your good. :bigsmile:
  • beahurey
    beahurey Posts: 108
    Options
    I love intervals. Makes the time go by faster when working out to me! Love it! :wink: