Calories Burned from Weight Lifting

Why isn't there a way to measure the calories burned when doing weight lifting? I noticed that when you're recording your reps from weight lifting (particularly with dumbells) it doesn't measure the calories burned? Why? Is there a way to determine calories burned?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    enter "strength training" in the cardio section. If you don't rest between sets enter it as "circuit training". The strength training section is there so you can track your progress.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    bump
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Most people, myself included, just list it as a cardio workout. I track my reps on a piece of paper anyway, and I wear an HRM so I'm really only interested in recording calories burned here so the cardio log works just fine.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    You can enter it in under the "Cardiovascular" section. Click on "Cardiovascular" and search the database for "strength" (I just did both) and you can enter in the length of time and calories burned. Of course, you will need to get an HRM (heart rate monitor) if you want to know how many calories you burn during weight lifting. There might be someplace online that estimates it for you so you could just use that but I would question the accuracy since it would not be tailored just for you (just like MFP, for me at least, is WAY off estimating my calories during cardio exercises which is why I got a HRM.) Good luck.