Daily Sugar Limit on MFP

Options
Hey friends... so the default sugar limit on MFP seems really hard to meet - just a couple of pieces of fruit takes me over the limit! The carbs, fats, proteins seem a lot more generous. Is this right?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Take that limit as the limit for added sugar (don't include milk or fruit) I beleive the guideline MFP used when setting up was the limit for added sugar, unfortunately there is no way for the database to distinguish where the sugar came from. This is why I don't track sugar, and if you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic, I would recommend you track something more relevant instead.
  • lamartin72
    Options
    I agree this seems quite challenging to hit, though I've heard from nutrition experts that the trend upward in daily sugar intake and all of the "hidden" sugar in packaged foods sneaks up on you. I have tried to monitor this numbera nd pay particular attention when eating something packaged. For natural sugar, though, I try to be reasonable, but recognize that a healthy balance of fruits and vegetables and/or a tablespoon of honey now and then is probably not out of line here!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used to stress out so much over the Sugar but recently have given that up. I still track it (along with Sodium, Carbs, Fat and protein) but I don't freak out if I hit into the red as it's usually from an apple or banana I've eaten (or both!).
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have been frustrated by this, too. It's too bad that we can't deselect fruit and milk from the sugar count an an individual food basis. I would be interested in knowing my total sugar consumption from the white deadly stuff, but as it is constructed, I track fiber instead. Those fruits help push my fiber into a good range, which makes me feel like a winner, not a loser. Who wants to be eating healthfully, while seeing distressing numbers that say you aren't?
  • shefarrell
    Options
    Thanks for the posts! I'm new to MFP and was devastated when my sugar limits were consistantly through the roof. As a result, put myself on a two week challenge to stay in the green for my sugar limit in the hopes that I'll see positive effects on my moods, skin and energy levels. I've given up coffee, but slipped some artificial sugar packets into my tea.

Anybody know what the most recent verdict is on "natural" sugar substitutes such as stevia?
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh my...I just wrote on my profile about this!! I know that sugars from fruits and all shouldn't be a concern...but today my coconut milk, my yogurt just sent me way over! Usually I am not watching it too closely but I just read somewhere else to cut the fat...watch the sugars and processed food. I am having a hard time just getting all my net calories in...especially if I workout!
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So how much are you guys over by ? Cause I am over by A LOT
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I keep it on only to keep me mindful of bad hidden sugar. I used to freak over sugar number. I soon realized if I'm gonna keep stressing over one large apple that is going to put me at 22 and my daily allowance (with out working out) is 24...GG me. I might as well just put on more weight stressing over the sugar I'm trying to avoid to lose it.

Moral of the story - Do the math yourself and don't count the natural sugar in your diet.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I seemed to always be way over too, but it's because of my fruit intake. It hasn't affected my weight loss and I don't feel like I am more hungry or crash after I take in the sugar. I have started to ignore the sugar count. I still track it, because I don't like to consume added sugar, but I pay more attention to my protein and fiber intake.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Sometimes mine can be 40-70g over. However, someone else in this thread said to ignore milk or fruit products when counting your sugar. Looks like a lot of your sugar, like mine, is from milk and fruit. See if it works for you. If you weightloss has slowed or you are feeling crashes or sluggish, then back down the milk products or go down to 1 fruit a day and increase your veggies instead. See if that jump starts the weightloss. See what works for your body.

Althought, I was just listening to Dr. Radio, Sirius 81, and they were saying that studies have shown milk does not cause a significant weight gain. They also said that 2% may be a better choice than skim milk because of the fat in it. Also, they did not notice any more of a weight gain in 2% milk vs. skim milk. Milk is good, so they say :) It's still calories, so be conscious of your calorie intake.
    So how much are you guys over by ? Cause I am over by A LOT
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that I read this. :smile: My sugar is always in the red and I didn't think I had that much. One day I had an apple and a banana and it took me over my daily limit. Now I won't be counting the natural sugars, just the rest.
  • TvShowQueen
    Options
    So glad someone asked this! - I was having the same problem - and most of my sugar came from fruit and even some from vegtables - it put me WAY over. Good to see I'm not the only one.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I just figured out how to change the nutrition tracking in my diary, and I noticed I was consistently going way over the sugar limit. I'd expect it if I were eating a lot of sweets or processed foods. However, I realized something was amiss when a medium grapefruit and half a cup of plain nonfat yogurt was enough to put me over the limit.