Glucosamine for runners...

Options
2»

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I had knee pain (Runner's Knee) for 30 years. When I moved to Southern CA, my GP suggested that I try glucosamine. It worked for me.

Glucosamine has been clinically trialed for moderate RA and was found to be as effective as a placebo (meaning that it did help some folks). I do believe that it helped me with my chondromalacia. For 30 years, I had constant pain my left knee and stabbing pain in my right knee once or maybe twice a week. After taking gluc, that stopped.

Even though gluc gave me total relief of pain, I stopped taking it a few months after I started running because I wanted to see if my running had strengthened my leg muscles to the point where the pain was gone. Fortunately, that's how it turned out.

I started running in June 2010 and it appears that the increased in leg muscle strength allows my knee caps to track correctly and I have zero knee pain.

[long answer, I realize]

Gluc is gluc. Like any other supplement, you can buy it cheap or you can spend a fortune. For me, I bought it at CostCo because this product is about as exotic as a vitamin pill. Buy your cheap and send a donation to MFP. :-)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try seeing a PT and be sure you have a good stretching regimen. I do use GC but I would not count on it to solve an overuse issue-though it may certainly help esp with knee pain.

I have been struggling with ITBS and it can involve your hip flexor. I know how frustrating an injury can be good luck and keep trying different things including cross training and liberal use of stretching. Check out the Pigeon pose from yoga. good luck!
    I agree totally. I take GC daily and believe in it. However, it it will not solve her issue. I have a hip problem and i do strength exercises, streching and see a pt. It is a struggle, but i keep at it. To quote a well know saying..."There will be a day when I can no longer do this (run, workout, etc.)...but, that day is not today."