StairMaster is evil- Making it my new challenge!

Options
Ok so on good days I can run 8 - 9 miles, on bad days like today I can do 5 miles. Today after my usuall elliptical work out which I struggled through I did some weights. I had 20 extra minutes before having to shower and I say to myself, self let's try the stair master today. So for the first time ever I get on the stairmaster, and boy is that machine deceptive!! It looks easy and but it kicked my butt hard!!! In 20 minutes going medium pace i burned 300 calories and I had sweat dripping off my nose!!

I do not if it's just me, but that was one of the most challenging workouts i have had in a long long time!! My new goal for the rest of 2011 is to do 20 minutes on the stairmaster without having a heart attack, so who's with me??!!

What are some challenging workouts that has you guys gasping for air??

Replies

• doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i've always seen it and thought the same thing about trying it.
    My challenge workout is Spinning -- Specifically with 1 instructor. In a normal spin class i'll burn around 900 calories in an hour, with this one instructor, it's 1100+ and i can't keep up. My goal is to be able to do the entire class and keep up with her.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Have just got back on my stairmaster in the past 2 weeks... It is WICKED The toughest workout for me!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I was watching people on it yesterday! I am facinated! I stretch behind them and watch them drip sweat. I was thinking to myself, maybe I should do that, too! LOL
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to think thst too about the stair master and the ellipitcal, but I have mastered them both, my challenge is to run.. I can walk fast and jog, but then when I start to run I quit and think i cant do this..O' and to go into a bootcamp class, for some reason i guess fear of looking funny or whatever I havent made it into a class yet. So that is mine.. We can tackle this.. I can go this...I will do this..
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I was watching people on it yesterday! I am facinated! I stretch behind them and watch them drip sweat. I was thinking to myself, maybe I should do that, too! LOL

DO IT!!!! it makes you cry but the feeling of satisfaction u get afterwards is exhilarating!!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have avoided that monster for months, then I decided to give it a try..... I was right it was tough I could only do 5 min, but I have been trying and seeing improvements and it does give a great burn. I still hate it but I hated all the gym equip when I started so maybe there is a slight chance I can grow to like this evil wicked torture device
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Did 60 minutes on it yesterday....the last 10 minutes I was drooling and blowing snot from my nose!! But... What a Rush!
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I finally beat that demon a few weeks ago. I'm up to 30mins at a good pace. I see some people running up the stairs for over 30mins and think "How the hell is that possible". My next challenge to try a spinning class.
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Did 60 minutes on it yesterday....the last 10 minutes I was drooling and blowing snot from my nose!! But... What a Rush!

Lol - Impressive!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options

too funny!!!
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    really? I'm scared of that machine!! Maybe I should give it a try. Our gym recently got new machines and I like to call it the step-llipt-mill. Within two minutes I was dying. I'm like you, i do 8 miles for long runs (weekends) and stick to 3 miles for quick power lunch workouts (weekdays). Have recently added elleptical and weights to my workouts to break the pleateu I've been stuck at for months. But that new machine was KILLER and I've made it my new challenge to conquer..... However, will definitely give the step machine a try - It's intimidated me long enough.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i've always seen it and thought the same thing about trying it.
    My challenge workout is Spinning -- Specifically with 1 instructor. In a normal spin class i'll burn around 900 calories in an hour, with this one instructor, it's 1100+ and i can't keep up. My goal is to be able to do the entire class and keep up with her.
    I have tried spinning class yesterday for the first time, and I have burned only 411 kcal in an hour. I have no idea if I can come close to 600-700 kcal.
  • soniathekitty
    soniathekitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hate the stairmaster..but, inclines are a trigger for my asthma. But, usually, I do tend to tackle those things that whoop me the most, just to spite the damn machine and prove that I can rather than I can't, even if it takes me forever. It's like..it makes me mad. LOL. Being mad is a good motivator for me when working out, so I just run with it. I wish my gym had spinning classes, those things kicked my tailfeather something fierce when I've done them in the past.. I usually find the back spot in the room, and if next to a mirror, that junk fogs right up!! But, it's a gooood burn, and even though it made me feel like I just suck, I knew that it was a killer good workout and then I found myself wanting to go back.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love the stairmaster at my gym... nothing gets the heart racing and the sweat pumping like that evil device... A couple of weeks ago my calf muscle cramped up on it, I TRIED to hop on one leg and hit the stop button but tossed me off the back and across the room! LOL I was more embarrassed then anything. I did get back on and finished my 30 minutes but was practicing my quick draw to that stop button! :laugh: