Three Cheers for Extracurricular Activities in School

Options
2»

Replies

• skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    All throughout school I was always involved in sports and always had some job to attend to. I swam competitively, rowed crew and "played soccer." Like Krull said - athletics takes a huge chunk of your time but you make it work. I also used my "spare" time to teach swim lessons and do a number of odd jobs at our YMCA. I stayed out of trouble because I was busy. My mind was active. My body was active. I was in the honors classes - it was hard work but so worth it. Helped me get accepted to a number of colleges and offered me some merit scholarships. I am where I am today because of these activities and happy for it.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in Taekwon Do and I love the confidence and pride it's given her. :smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Double post. :ohwell:
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My best friend's husband is a scout leader, at their wedding, I was taking the guest book round for signing, and one of his scouts (though a little drunk admittedly!), was nearly in tears with gratitude about how he's steered him away from gangs and drugs because of scouting.

When I was at school, I got bullied quite a bit, pretty badly at times, but I played music. The wind band was across several schools, so almost everyone there had no idea, or couldn't care less whether I was "cool at school" or not. It was my escape and without it I would have been a mess I'm sure.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When I was in school extracurricular activities were a way for me to get out of working for my dad on the farm. Going on field trips is much more fun than actually working in fields, believe me. :happy:
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I somehow managed to participate in lots of extra-curricular activities yet still find time for trouble. Guess I was just an over-achiever that way. Not much has changed since. :bigsmile:
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I played clarinet in elementary, and volleyball in middle school with chorus throughout. In high school, I traveled with the wrestling team as a stat, which was fun for numerous reasons. *cough*teenage girl with scantily clad dudes, yeah*cough* Other than that brief stint in high school, I skipped a whole helluva lot of school and ran with the wrong crowd. As such, I do seriously regret not doing more extracurricular activities when I was in school, particularly in high school. I wish my parents had been more encouraging but I also could've shown more interest and initiative... c'est la vie.