Need holiday cooking/baking ideas... please.

Options
JoyceJoanne
JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
I seem to be the only one around that is watching what I eat. I still want to enjoy the season with family and friends but in a healthier/lower calorie kind of way. I'm looking for ideas/recipes that are good and don't taste "diet". We have several parties that are potluck and I am a part of 2 cookie exchanges. I don't want to be the girl they don't invite because she always brings the 'DIET' stuff. I know there are options out there- I just don't know what they are. I also don't want to gain 20 pounds at the end of the year!

I KNOW you guys have stellar recipes!! Help me out could ya??!!

My waistline thanks you!!

~Joyce

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/

a ton of holiday ideas there :D
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Check out CookingLight.com

I just got my holiday edition and there are tons of low cal pies, cookies, and a low cal green bean casserole... I've never had a "diet" tasting recipe from Cooking Light.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Checkout www.cookinglight.com this month and next month they have a TON of healthy holiday dishes. I haven't been disappointed yet.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I try to use as many whole grains as possible. I'd rather make my desserts than buy them in the store. I use fresh ground wheat in my cookies and cake mixes. I also grind up oats for an oat flour. Ground up almonds is good for a base layer in cheese cake. Almonds and butter. For apple pie instead of a top crust- make a crumble with oats, whole wheat flour, butter and cinnamon a a bit of sugar. There are some recipes you might have to use half and half flour- so if you buy white flour make sure it is unbleached.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific recipe, but I have heard of using pumkin in baking mixes instead of the oil and water. I think you could do a search. I have a couple of recipes I want to try that I found on the hungry girl website that have chocolate. I'd just try making a batch or half batch ahead of the potluck to "test". There are more people than just you looking to have healthier options!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Katie has so many good things!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

There are some others, but I can't remember what the address is right now...

Good luck!
  • fordtechron
    Options
    I heard you can substitute Applesause for oil and butter
    I don't bake much so I have never tried it but it sounds good

www.ehow.com/how_4535777_substitute-applesauce-oil.html
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I second skinnytaste.com. wonderful site!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com for sure!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    YAY! Thanks everybody. I appreciate all of your thoughts. I've got lots of homework to do.

I'm sure there are lots of people out there looking for healthier/low cal options, they just don't happen to be related to me!! It's an 'eat til you can't breathe' kind of family. :grumble: :grumble: ...and they aren't eatin veggies!!

(my trick is to wear my tight jeans so I don't overeat.)
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    please go to skinny taste - it will not disappoint!!

I have been cooking from this site for weeks and my husband can't believe how good her stuff is. It does not not taste like diet either. Actually I made a brocoli, potato, chedder soup and my husband thought it was better then any other time he has had this soup.
  • redheadc2
    redheadc2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Look for a yogurt pie recipe. I make one with a walnut crust, frozen no added sugar strawberries, 1 cool whip container and thing of yogurt.

You freeze it for a few hours and then thaw about 20 minutes prior to serving. Just don't ask me quantities of any of it because I never get it to the original recipes.

Also, fruit salad is great for pot locks no one ever thinks to bring fruit salad.
  • laumar3012
    Options
    bump for later