Fruit sizes. Medium vs. large?

Options
Hi all! So MFP sometimes classifies fruit as small, medium and large sizes when you go to input the portion size. I don't have a scale in the kitchen so I haven't been able to go by the ounces to measure. Have any of you found an easy way to eyeball it for different fruits and vegetables? Especially apples, grapefruits and tomatoes

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I used to serve lunch at school so I know what a small apple is, and in the grocery store you can find super-huge ones (Lord knows what they use to do that!) so you can find an in-between too. To me, mostly medium apples are common.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So MFP sometimes classifies fruit as small, medium and large sizes when you go to input the portion size. I don't have a scale in the kitchen so I haven't been able to go by the ounces to measure. Have any of you found an easy way to eyeball it for different fruits and vegetables? Especially apples, grapefruits and tomatoes

I believe you should weight the fruits and veggies for an accurate calculation.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap food scale at Target for about $5 so that I could avoid the confusion.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I always find this one tricky...

Especially when you think about it...you don't know what country the person who entered the nutritional values is from - and with fruit it matters soooo much! Like a "Large Papaya" in the UK is a piddly little thing, but when you go on holiday...wow! Their 'Small Papaya' is bigger than our large ones.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much - I just sympathise here!

Usually when entering fruit, I just 'over estimate' so I know I'll be okay. And I guess, if you do end up getting it wrong...there are plenty of other things that it would be worse to do so on - I know fruit is high in sugars but in every other way it is super for you so I wouldn't worry too much about it!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Got mine at the $1 store. Been working for years.
  • Stormer26
    Stormer26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A medium fruit is about the size of a tennis ball. If you want to estimate ounces a fist equals about 1 cup, your palm is about three ounces, and your thumb is about 2 tablespoons or one ounce. (Based on a small adult hand).
  • SugarSugah
    SugarSugah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this may help in the equation...
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2
    :wink:
    -SugarSugah