How am I going to be ready for a 5K next month??

Options
So I did W5D3 today and it was pretty tough. For the first time since I started the program I actually wanted to quit and was thinking "well at least I tried" but I did finish the 20 min run and felt pretty good afterward for not stopping.

It occured to me though that I am not sure how this 30 min program is going to have me ready to run a full 5K (or 3.whatever miles) next month. I guess b/c I run so slow (4.5 mph) it takes me the full 30 mins just to go 2 miles. I am not "training" to get to 3 miles so now I am worried that when I try to run the 5K after 30 mins I am going to be wiped out and I will still have a mile to go.

Should I be running longer than 30 mins to always reach 3 miles each day I do it? I have tried running faster and found that it really hurt my knee and hip. I still have the knee and hip pain but if I run pretty slow I can deal with it.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think that if you can run for 30 minutes straight by the end of C25K, you will be able to run a 5k. It may take you longer than 30 minutes to do it, but you'll be able to do it. I've actually never run a 5k in under 30 minutes - though I'm sure if that's what I really wanted to do I could get there... but I'm more focused on my distance and overall endurance than speed. I did C25K last year and it prepared me for my 1st 5k.

Finish out the C25K program then enjoy your 1st 5k - you WILL be able to do it! Don't stress about how long it takes. :flowerforyou:
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Just do what the program says, it works! Dont worry about your time.....who cares if it takes you 40 minutes to run 3 miles....atleast you ran 3 miles. Just do your best and forget the rest!
    Good luck you will do just fine!
  • merrick7871
    Options
    Run what you can and walk the rest. I have never seen a 5k that didnt have its fair share of walkers.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You need to run at a pace that's comfortable for you. 30 minutes is just a one size fits all goal. I have yet to run a 5K in under 35m.

Run your race, and if you have to stop and walk....you have to stop and walk. Trust me, you won't be the only one doing that.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is a great training tool:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm

I have ran two 10k's and I used his training schedule for both. I think it would help if you run for distance and not for time. Since the race is about distance and not how fast you can do it. Hope this helps some!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I was able to run the 5k, but it took me almost 45 min.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just do what the program says, it works! Dont worry about your time.....who cares if it takes you 40 minutes to run 3 miles....atleast you ran 3 miles. Just do your best and forget the rest!

Agreed. The main thing is.. don't give up. Don't be concerned about time; just be proud you ran the 5K!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Run the 5K at your own pace. You'll be fine. Worst case stop and walk or slow the pace a bit.
    My 1st one I was going OK but about mile 2 I had to slow... finished my 1st in 31 mins 12 seconds.
    My goal was 30 mins. That damn slowing down ruined it I'm sure but hey I finished! And got a really cool T-shirt :wink:
  • KindleBlossom
    Options
    When I first started a few months ago, I had really similar problems to the ones you're describing. What has worked for me- I've done 2 5 k races now, and I started with not being able to run a mile without having an asthma attack :)) is to do sprints to slowly build up your ability. Like, when you feel good and energized, say when you're first starting a run, take 15- 30 seconds or so to run at your absolute fastest pace, then slow down, even walk if you need to for a few minutes, then do it again. Slowly, you'll notice that your fastest is becoming faster and that your easier speeds or walks in between intervals don't need to be as long in order for you to recover. Sometimes giving yourself permission to go slow will help you speed up, weirdly enough- because you know there's a rest coming, you become more willing to push yourself if it's only for short intervals. Just remember, no matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! Good luck, and if you need a friendly face every now and then to cheer you on, feel free to add me!
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started running in late September. I was also training for a 5K on October 30. I just started running, slowly. I worked my way up from barely 1 mile to now being able to do a full 5 K. My fastest time has been 37 minutes. That's where I am now. When I started I couldn't even get a full 3 miles done, with walking. Take your time, listen to your body, walk when you need to, run when you feel recovered, and take it slow. Running faster is not necessarily better. You'll be fine. it takes a long time to get there, be patient, but consistent.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would definitely stick to the pace you're comfortable with, and if you can run 2 miles now I'm sure you can do a 5k in a month even if you're just doing 30 minutes each time you run--just take walk breaks if you get tired.

However, for your own peace of mind, I would recommend doing at least one 3 mile run before the 5k just so that you know you can do it. If it takes you 30 minutes to do 2 miles, I'd suggest doing one 37-38 minute easy run sometime in the next week or two and then an easy 45 minute run the week after just so that you have the confidence that you can finish.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I trained with the C25K program getting ready to do a 5k pushing a double jogging stroller. I didn't get how it would work either but when I ran the 5k I finished it in 29.13 minutes pushing over 100lbs so I guess it worked.
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    I have continually signed up and raced in 5k's for the past 2 years and have had times ranging from 37:16 - 42 minutes. It's easy to beat yourself up about the time. This past saturday i raced and finished in 38:40...I was so upset because i trained and convinced myself I'd beat my PR. I realized that although I ran slower, I felt stronger and wasn't winded for the first time...a victory nonetheless. And despite what you hear, It's completely OK to walk when you need to! Good luck, you'll be fine
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Don"t stress over it, you are doing great! You ran 20 mins without stoppoing, yea for you!

Concentrate on distance, not speed, speed will come later...so try and get 3 miles in with runing and walking to help prepare for the race.

One day a week do interval training...run and walk, or do hills...it will help build your endurance and speed.

Don't worry about the day of the race, there will be plenty of walkers....so do what you can and be proud of yourself that you are actually out there doing it!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same questions when I did my 20 minute run for C25K. It was easily the worst run of the whole program for me, mainly because of the psychological jolt: you stopped running intervals and suddenly you started running one long run. It messes with your head! But... I promise you that if you just keep following the program, you will be ready in plenty of time. I ran my first 5K race while I was still on Week 8 of C25K and it took me a little longer than 30 minutes, but I still made it without walking once. The adrenaline of race day will help, too, and you'll probably go faster than you've done before because of it. Trust me... you've got nothing to worry about. :)
  • lmkram1
    Options
    Slacker Mommy, First congrats on getting of the couch. Truly, that's the real challenge. Second, find your pace -- emphasis on "your". That's right -- if it's 15 minutes per mile/ it's 15 minutes per mile. Always remember, fifteen minutes-per-mile makes you faster than all those people who never got out of bed on race morning. Be patient with your body, push it intelligently and it will respond accordingly. It is a temple that has grown life; I have no doubt about its ability to finish a 5k -- don't let "stinkn-thinkn" get in its way. You'll have bad training runs -- without doubt. Another certainty: one good run instantly makes up for a multitude of bad runs. Last and most important ---- there is no shame in walking. Walk when you need to but run when you can and then walk again. Most importantly, enjoy the race, be proud of yourself and your accomplishment.

"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate."

Lisa
    5:00 marathoner
    2:20 half marathoner
    36min 5kr
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Agreed! I just did my first 5k last month and came in at 42:10. I was so focused on my time during training and wanted to be under 35 but once I got out there I didn't care just did my best and crossing that finish line was the best feeling I've ever had. I ended up coming in 3rd for my age group which just sweetened the pot a little :) Good luck and most important enjoy it, don't stress about it!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Week 5 run 3 a BIG jump! Don't beat yourself up. Mine was a treadmill run (I do treadmill/grass once a week to reduce the impact on my left shin) so it was an 'easier' run and I had to give myself a really good long talking to to finish it. I'm doing it with two friends who also thought they'd misheard when she said 'you'll be running for 20 minutes...'

You're doing great with it - just think of what it was like when you (and all of us started) - I'm on week 6 just about to do run 3 and my resting HR is doing great now - it's down to C25K. I lost well this week too. So if you (or I, or anyone else) has to re-take a week will it matter a year from now? No, let's do it as it suits us.

You'll get that 5k - you're getting really close to it now, congratulations!!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try not to think so much. You have run 20 minutes straight. Great accomplishment, especially since most people cannot run 5 minutes straight much less 20.

I did my first 5k about 5 weeks after I began the c25k program. I ran the 5k like a my usual c25k day. I walked about 30 seconds and made up my mind that I could finish running this thing. When I crossed the finish line my clothes were soaked, my body was hurting...but what an awesome feeling of crossing that line.

Basically don't worry and do the best that you can. And be proud that you did something that most cannot do.
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options