Something I never knew....

Options
I started my weight loss journey one week before thanksgiving at 319lbs. Life was difficult on me at this weight. I was constantly tired.....constantly frustrated and constantly eating. It has been a journey of self discovery. One that I could not have imagined four months ago. As is the case with many of you...it has been interesting. I have had my ups and downs along the way....but today I learned something....something I am convinced has changed my life forever. The only thing that has stood in the way of living a happy and healthy life is me. No excuse that I have ever used was a reason. And no lie I have told myself has been close to the truth. the ONLY thing standing in our way is ourselves. and today....I came face to face with the person I was in November....Today I put him away forever. Last week I deceided that I wanted to work toward running a 5k. While this may not seem particularly intense to some of you. Considering I was 319lbs 3 months ago this is definately something to work toward. I started a program that consisted of a little running with a whole bunch of walking in between. So I got on the treadmill today and walked .01 miles and then I started what was supposed to be .05 miles of running. Well something clicked in my head and I said to myself. "The only thing keeping you from running 5 kilometers right now is you and you fear of failure." So I ran....I kept putting one foot in front of the other and I ran. When I got to one and a half miles I every fiber of my being was ready to quit. But I refused to give up. I told myself "You have spent too much of your life quitting and you are not going to quit today." I don't know how I made it but I did. And for the first time in my life I truley feel that I am moving on. The quitter is in part of my past....and there is NOTHING that will stop me now.
:drinker: :bigsmile:

Replies

• Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey one week before thanksgiving at 319lbs. Life was difficult on me at this weight. I was constantly tired.....constantly frustrated and constantly eating. It has been a journey of self discovery. One that I could not have imagined four months ago. As is the case with many of you...it has been interesting. I have had my ups and downs along the way....but today I learned something....something I am convinced has changed my life forever. The only thing that has stood in the way of living a happy and healthy life is me. No excuse that I have ever used was a reason. And no lie I have told myself has been close to the truth. the ONLY thing standing in our way is ourselves. and today....I came face to face with the person I was in November....Today I put him away forever. Last week I deceided that I wanted to work toward running a 5k. While this may not seem particularly intense to some of you. Considering I was 319lbs 3 months ago this is definately something to work toward. I started a program that consisted of a little running with a whole bunch of walking in between. So I got on the treadmill today and walked .01 miles and then I started what was supposed to be .05 miles of running. Well something clicked in my head and I said to myself. "The only thing keeping you from running 5 kilometers right now is you and you fear of failure." So I ran....I kept putting one foot in front of the other and I ran. When I got to one and a half miles I every fiber of my being was ready to quit. But I refused to give up. I told myself "You have spent too much of your life quitting and you are not going to quit today." I don't know how I made it but I did. And for the first time in my life I truley feel that I am moving on. The quitter is in part of my past....and there is NOTHING that will stop me now.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! There is nothing quite like beginning to run and passing some of those huge mental barriers..looks like you've just left those barriers in your dust...Congratulations :)
  • MattySparky
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! That is truely a success story. You've discovered the key to unlocking your inner animal, that natural drive in us all that some people never find! Keep going!
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    When that switch in your head clicks there is NOTHING that can turn it off!!! What a great feeling. Don't kid yourself, a 5k race is an awesome accomplishement for ANYBODY! Go For It!
  • Julie837
    Options
    WOW! You are so right! Also, when I stop obsessing over my weight, and just concentrate on heart health, I always feel more positive and work much better, thanks for sharing, j
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    That is so true and congratulations on your progress! :drinker: I do believe I am getting there too. Every time I am on the treadmill, I kick it up a notch in some way and just keep talking to myself. Many times I tell myself that if those people on the BL can do this, then why can't i? So much is in our heads.
    WE CAN DO THIS!!!! BELIEVE IT!!!!:bigsmile:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    WOW. I am so inspired!! I've been fighting trying to run at the gym in the mornings and doing some incredible hills instead. Now I know I can do it, too!!

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Andrew, I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face. So many people go their entire lives never 'getting' it. I am so thankful you came to this point while you are young and healthy enough to thwart future illness.

Thank you for sharing your epiphany with all of us. If one person....only ONE 'gets it' because of your story it is worth typing.

As for me, I am now your biggest fan!

Run, Andrew, Run!!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations.

nearly 60 lbs in 3 months... WAY TO GO!! :flowerforyou:
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    :drinker: You are an inspiration. Keep on going and don't look back. Everything that seems hard could be accomplished and you did it. Keep up the great work!!!

One day I will also have a discussion thread about losing weight and working hard towards a goal.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    congratulations, so glad you are here to encourage others with your story!!! denise in OR

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Go Spyguy! I can't believe you were going to start running and ran 5k! That is totally amazing! Next time I get on my treadmill I might hear you in my head instead of Jillian!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Hey Andrew, that is wonderful. I am so proud of you, you did awesome. I feel been running a little and walking a lot and sort of wanted to run more but didn't know if I could. You have inspired me to try tomorrow to run more.

Have you lost 56 pounds in 4 months? That is incredible!!!!!
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    what a wonderful post!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    That's a wonderful thing spyguy - way to go!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    congrats, keep it up
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Don't ever forget that feeling, and you will be successful at anything!

WTG! :flowerforyou:

Run, spyguy, Run! :drinker:
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiring story! Congratulations!!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! One of the biggest differences between today and any other time that I have tried to lose weight is this site. While the food diary and other features are great....it is the support and guidance of all of you that makes all the difference. I am thankful to each and every one of you for joining me on my journey and letting me be a part of yours. Cheers....go drink some water! it's good for you! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!