Am I the only one??

Options
Ok so I have been here for 12 weeks now and so far lost 15lb ( 53lb before I came here ) and all I keep hearing / seeing is how people think that carbohydrates are bad for the diet if you want to lose that tummy.
NO food is bad ( apart from the obvious chocolate everyday, pastries every day etc etc ) and for me the carbohydrates is a HUGE success in my diet. Ok maybe not for all but I just want to put MY point across that I personally think that 8 pints of water a day, a good healthy amount of carbs, exercise, ( even if it is just for 30 minutes ) low salt / sodium works wonders! :happy:
I am very :happy: with my diet plan and I only have another 4lb until I am at my goal of 134lb at being 5ft 8 tall and wanting to maintain so if I do put on that 7lb over Christmas up to the new year, I have that choice to lose it again.
I started off being 206lb at a size 20 ( 18 US ) and now being a size 8 ( 6 US ) .. To me I must be doing something right?

I hope what ever YOUR diet plan you are ALL very successful and I hope you meet your goal very soon :flowerforyou:

Remember - Winners never quit and it maybe a pain in the *kitten* some-days but it will be worth it in the end :wink:

Sarah - 26.. UK x

Replies

• Figuringoutme
    Options
    Carbs are great! Your body needs them to survive. its just like anything you cant go over bored
  • carolkobe
    carolkobe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I happen to agree with you. Three years ago I lost 30lbs in just a couple of months on a low carb diet. There is absolutely no doubt that they work for getting the weight down.
    I have since put it back on and I know that counting calories has worked for me in the past and I just need to get a handle on that again. Figuring out how many calories will maintain the weight I wish to stay at after I get there is the one piece I never looked at so this time around I will have had lots and lots of experience knowing what the calories in all my meals look like and what those meals should continue to look like after I reach my weight.
    Gone is my mindset that I am dieting and instead I am looking at this as a trial for figuring out the rest of my lifes eating habits and that has been a missing piece for me. Carbs are included this time around as they will always be a part of my daily food intake and I need to manage them well.
    You did fantastic losing all that weight, good luck with the last few pounds!
    12334015.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    your right carol this has to be a life style change with a balanced diet. I could never stop eating carbs. Sarah you know i think your wicked and love ya loads!!! your such an inspiration to me x
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There are two sides to the carb story. One good, the other bad.

Two months ago, when I was diagnosed with prediabetes (Type 2), I started my research on carbs. I wanted to know the good, the bad and the ugly because my goal is to beat this with optimal nutrition and daily exercise. It can be done.

My nutritionist told me that for my height (5'3"), I should not exceed an inteake of 55 carbs per meal, making that a daily total of 165 carbs. With these figures, I have learned to read nutrition labels very carefully to choose my carbs carefully. I don't always stay within my numbers, but I don't have the high numbers I had in the past. These days, my carbs come from healthier eating; particularly, avoiding processd foods. I will treat myself to pasta, rice and potatoes every so often, but it has to be portion controlled.

Since joining MFP (July 22, 2011), I've lost 33 pounds. (Current weight: 203) The cold months will be a challenge in fighting my cravings for MINDLESS carb consumption, especially over the holidays. To keep me strong, I've set a goal to weigh less than 200 pounds by Thanksgiving. Note: I haven't weighed less than 200 pounds since 1995 -- sixteen years ago, when I was 41. By reaching this short-term goal, I will have the "fuel" I need to see me through December's challenges.

I'm still learning about carbs via library books and the internet. Information is, indeed, a powerul tool.

Wishing you all great success!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There's research out there that says whole grains help burn visceral fat.

I eat carbs (good ones, mostly, but sometimes "bad" ones) and lose weight. And I don't carry a particularly large amount of fat in my tummy. That has a lot more to do with body shape than what you eat.