Turduken (or 10 weird ways to cook a turkey)

Options
PlanetVelma
PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
I really would love to try a Turduken, or a bacon wrapped turkey....omg, YUM!!!! Is it time for lunch yet? ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/11/15/10-weird-ways-to-cook-turkey/

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Heart attack food, but bet it is awesome!!!!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I just watched a thing on Food Network where a guy showed the host how to make Turducken. Sounds interesting...my brother has always wanted to deep fry one, but no one wants to let him blow their house up trying! ;-)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, turkducken is pretty normal for us down here in South LA! But then again, we also came up with deep frying turkey too!
  • msjamartin
    Options
    My uncle has done the deep fryer for several years. It is good but I prefer the oven baked Turkey. For sure it is quicker and if you infuse it well with seasonings it is good. Just be careful and follow the instructions to the letter.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I tried to cook a turdukin last fall (pre-packaged frozen from the store). It took a lot longer (hours) than it said it would to cook and kind of messed up the whole dinner idea - but it tasted good and we had hot sandwiches later on!:laugh: . I will probably try it again but make sure I've got it timed right for the altitude!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    My mom makes one every year.....and she is REALLY excited about it....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some of those don't seem all that weird. I just had the fried turkey a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good. Normally I can't stand turkey no matter how it's prepared.
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I make the beer can turkey :) I cut the can in half that way i dont have to stand the turkey up. I bake it in the oven. Comes out awesome every year.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd try the bacon wrapped Turkey.
    We recieved a Turducken for a gift last year and it was discusting.:noway: Sorry to say. And they are very expensive. Don't waste your money.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The beer turkey sounds great! Normally I put the following in the cavity of the turkey: chopped apple, cinnamon stick, water, poultry seasoning and red onion. This helps keep it moist and gives it a great flavor! :)

I am really tempted by the bacon wrapped turkey but dang how much bacon would one need for a freakin 20 lb turkey? lol