Why?!?!

Options
Why is it so ingrained in my mind that I MUST HAVE something sweet after eating? Blahhh! Gotta stop that!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Habit! I used to feel the same way!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I read once that if you brush your teeth after eating it reduces this and it does help.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Why is it so ingrained in my mind that I MUST HAVE something sweet after eating? Blahhh! Gotta stop that!

It is not ingrained, it is called addiction. In order to break the addiction, you have to do like any alcoholic or smoker and stay away from it.

It really is just that simple.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself "No, just this once, I won't have it."

Then do it the next time, and again.

Every so often you will slip up and let yourself have something, but tell yourself no the next time.

They say it takes about 21 days of doing something different to break the habit. I'm sure the time will fly before you know it! :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try herbal tea? That helped me curb my desire for sweets after dinner...
  • Bbethel
    Options
    Are we related?!?!?
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I almost have to plan it or I go to the wrong stuff. Try fruit or yougurt. I like the yocrunch with oreo crumbles. it is just sweet enough that I don't feel deprived, but only 120 calories. (the 4 packs. The singles are 180) Hang in there. Whether you go cold turkey or you substitute, you will find a solution that works for you.:flowerforyou:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Have a hard candy, or berries or even a small slice of angel food cake, It's only about 70 calories per slice.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Every so often you will slip up and let yourself have something, but tell yourself no the next time.

They say it takes about 21 days of doing something different to break the habit. I'm sure the time will fly before you know it! :)

Nice suggestion!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you must have something sweet, have a fruit afterwards. I'm trying to do that and it usually helps! Or eat it WITH your lunch, then you won't "need" the sweet after 'cause you already had it. Speaking of which, I should go grab an orange. Yum!
  • kjslilangel
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having something sweet after supper or lunch just be SMART about what and how MUCH you have. I enjoy a fat free yogurt or a sugar free piece of candy. a SINGLE peice of candy or have a sugar free freezer pop. Frozen fruit ect. you have alot of choices. Just be smart and creative
  • celeste_xo
    Options
    Ughh welcome to my life! Everytime I have a meal I get really intense cravings for sweets. Right now I'm doing this 3-week challenge not to eat any junk food, including sweets and fast food, and so far I've noticed the cravings have decreased quite a bit, and I'm only on day 4. Maybe it's something you should think about doing! So far it's really the only thing that's helped me cut back on the cravings.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I tend to go for those individual dove dark chocolate bites. I think they're around 42cals? That's not bad and it's all I need.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Exactly. I just cut out sweets totally and after a long enough time period, I don't crave them at all. It's been probably 6-8 months and I never have any sweets. Even when people offer them to me. Not even interested. It's just a mental addiction thing, that's all.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I do this also! Drives me nuts!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I used to have an ice cream cone, bar, sandwich, bowl whatever after dinner all the time (look where that got me!) when someone else bought my groceries. I was in the same boat as you! Had to break the habit. Now I shop for my own food and keep anything I can't handle having around (ice cream) out of my place and broke my bad habit! It's tough when you get that craving but keep yourself without it and see how different you feel. :flowerforyou:

There's hope!! :smile: In the meantime, have some hot tea or brush your teeth or chew gum if you really need to! You can break the habit!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, still am sometimes. I do find that if I save my chewable calcium supplement for after dinner it's sweet enough that I feel like I'm having a sweet. I get mine from GNC and they are delish!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    What about a sweet-flavored gum? sugar free of course! There is that one line (cant remember the brand) with mint chocolate etc.
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i have a twister lolly only 45 calories.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's definitely habitual. If it's bothering or getting in the way of your goals you're going to have to quit or even cut down on the sizes. Advantage of quitting is that it cleanses the palate so to speak so that you are no longer craving those sweet foods. Changing portions will cut the calories down. This is easier said than done : )