Small changes make a big difference

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I love food. I always have and I always will.

A large part of it I owe to my mother being a fabulous cook! She would make such a variety of foods that I grew up with an open mind when it came to ethnic cuisine.

I can still enjoy these amazing foods. I have just learned to think differently about it all.

I love Mexican food. It might be one of my favorites. My mom would make homemade enchiladas, tostadas, chili rellenos, and of course all the taco fixins.

I would gorge myself on it. I literally couldn't get enough. I'm not sure WHY I would think if I didn't keep eating, something was wrong. Because the fact of the matter is, a small portion of something tastes just as good as a larger portion.

I made tacos tonight. I used ground turkey and cut up my lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, etc. I had refried beans (low fat) and used ff sour cream. I bought 2% cheese but chose to leave it off at the end just because I really love the taste of the meat.

I guess the point of this is that with a few modifications, the foods you have always loved can still be enjoyed. And even the "full fat" versions can be enjoyed out at a restaurant in moderation.

I no longer gorge myself. I eat and enjoy my meal and stop when I am satisfied. I feel so much better not feeling stuffed! I'm not sure why I ever liked that feeling!

I enjoy everything I used to, only in a different way. A much better way because my body is much happier and thanks me!! :wink:

Keep going everyone. Food is not in control of you anymore! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options

A large part of it I owe to my mother being a fabulous cook! She would make such a variety of foods that I grew up with an open mind when it came to ethnic cuisine.

I can still enjoy these amazing foods. I have just learned to think differently about it all.

I love Mexican food. It might be one of my favorites. My mom would make homemade enchiladas, tostadas, chili rellenos, and of course all the taco fixins.

I would gorge myself on it. I literally couldn't get enough. I'm not sure WHY I would think if I didn't keep eating, something was wrong. Because the fact of the matter is, a small portion of something tastes just as good as a larger portion.

I made tacos tonight. I used ground turkey and cut up my lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, etc. I had refried beans (low fat) and used ff sour cream. I bought 2% cheese but chose to leave it off at the end just because I really love the taste of the meat.

I guess the point of this is that with a few modifications, the foods you have always loved can still be enjoyed. And even the "full fat" versions can be enjoyed out at a restaurant in moderation.

I no longer gorge myself. I eat and enjoy my meal and stop when I am satisfied. I feel so much better not feeling stuffed! I'm not sure why I ever liked that feeling!

I enjoy everything I used to, only in a different way. A much better way because my body is much happier and thanks me!! :wink:

• Bunny001
    Options
    i really want to beable to eat foods that i like while i'm trying to loose weight. I don't want to eliminate foods for the rest of my life, that's just to hard and would make me want to eat them all the more. I'm glad you are able to do this, it encourages me!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all my favorites, just in moderation.

I love my spaghetti and meatballs. I use 7% fat ground beef, whole wheat bread crumbs, egg whites for the meatballs and the sauce is nothign but veggies!

Add whole wheat pasta and YUMMO!!

:flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just said this to my husband last Friday! We ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant but I only ate until I was satisfied. On the way home, I remarked that I felt really good, not really gorged. :smile: Plus I had lunch leftovers for the next day so I got to enjoy the meal twice!

Tam, how long did it take you to lose 135 pounds?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I just said this to my husband last Friday! We ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant but I only ate until I was satisfied. On the way home, I remarked that I felt really good, not really gorged. :smile: Plus I had lunch leftovers for the next day so I got to enjoy the meal twice!

I started on 9/6/2007 and reached my goal weight on 1/15/2009

So, a little over 16 months. :smile:
  • kimmaboo
    Options

I started on 9/6/2007 and reached my goal weight on 1/15/2009

that is amasing congratulations
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! I think this is something very important to remember...moderation is key! You (and others!) are proof that this works:smile:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options

That's so cool! And I saw in your profile that you're expecting again!

I had my fourth child after losing 100 pounds - I gained about 25 for the pregnancy and still worked out every day until the morning before Anna was born. My older daughter had a pumpkin patch field trip that day and I'd been really uncomfortable for about 5 days but figured I'd be 2 weeks late, like I had been with my first 3 children. Well, about 17 hours after that field trip, Anna was here! LOL! She came "early" (for me!)...5 hours past her due date...and weighed a full pound less than my other (8 and a half pound) children. Staying in shape is good for your baby, too! :happy:
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Thank you for your post. It 's what I need to remember each day. One bad meal can send me into a 2-3 day binge where I feel so guilty and down on myself. I loved your quote,"Food is not in control of ME anymore!" I've been trying really hard to apply this to my life. Your weight loss is such an inspiration! And congrats on the pregnancy! I've got 4 of my own. They are such a wonderful blessing!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great post! I try to keep this in mind every day. When I decided to begin my "weight management program" (NOT calling it a diet, that just sounds too scary!), I tried to focus more on what I CAN have, not what I CAN"T have. There are so many options out there, and it makes things so much easier. I love my sauces and condiments, so it's nice to know I don't have to give all of them up. Instead, I use lo-fat or lo-sugar versions, or just plain reduce my portion sizes. It seems to be working!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Great post Tam! Thanks for sharing that. You are such an inspiration. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    tam, when u have a lovely diner like the one u mentioned, do u weigh/measure/write down all the foods u consume? :noway: that would be difficult!:noway:

i've only been noting my food intake for about a month now. sometimes it's really hard.:mad:

robin:heart:
  • natashak
    Options
    I know this sounds really stupid, but we have large and small bowls at my house, like snack bowls and the large soup bowls. I now eat everything in the small bowls. NO use of stuffing your face, and your satisfied with the food that fits in 1 of those small snack bowls. Its great :) I also use smaller plates, and larger glasses(for water of course)
  • TamTastic
    Options
    tam, when u have a lovely diner like the one u mentioned, do u weigh/measure/write down all the foods u consume? :noway: that would be difficult!:noway:

i've only been noting my food intake for about a month now. sometimes it's really hard.:mad:

robin:heart:
    I do measure and weigh things. I guess I have been doing it long enough that it is second nature and barely takes me any time. I mean, when spooning my sour cream, I just use a tablespoon...I scoop it out and put it on my taco! No biggie. With things like lettuce and tomato, I don't worry about it!!

But, I am not always so specific anymore since I have taught myself about proper portions.

I know it seems so daunting to have to do this...I just make it as important a part of my day as any other annoying task, like brushing teeth, emptying the dishwasher, etc. To me, planning my food is an extremely important part of my day. Keeps me in control of it. (That isn't to say I never splurge!!)
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    tamtastic....you are fantastic...and an inspiration!!!...thank you for your post!!!
  • porckchops
    Options
    Thanks for the great post... It is so very true, I have just recently started my weight loss journey... although i have tried a number of times before to lose weight and havent had the success i wanted... this time one of the major things i am doing differently is the portion controll, measuring and recording what I eat and drinking water, I started at 211 and i joined this site a week into my journey and had already lost 2 pounds starting my journey on here at 209, and I have been very inspired by everyones story on here, it lets myself and everyone else know that it really can be done Thanks again for your post tamtastic.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! See, Tam, you surely can take things out of your head and put them in our heads :flowerforyou: . :love: :heart: