Question regarding Calculating Calories Burned

Options
Question for some of you who may be more experienced with the whole exercise thing. I have been doing the weightloss setting on my treadmill and after 40 minutes I have burned about 170 calories...but the other day I bought a HR monitor watch and it has a calorie setting and it said that I burned 333 calories. How do I know what to believe? My treadmill doesn't ask my age, weight sex or anything - so how does it calculate my calories burned? How are calories burned even calculated?

Help?

Replies

• harter97
    harter97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Question for some of you who may be more experienced with the whole exercise thing. I have been doing the weightloss setting on my treadmill and after 40 minutes I have burned about 170 calories...but the other day I bought a HR monitor watch and it has a calorie setting and it said that I burned 333 calories. How do I know what to believe? My treadmill doesn't ask my age, weight sex or anything - so how does it calculate my calories burned? How are calories burned even calculated?

Help?
  • scrappy11
    Options
    Honestly I would believe your HR monitor a lot more than the treadmill itself. Is it a polar? Those are so accurate and have your weight, age and sex on it. So, that is my advice..go with what the HR monitor says! :glasses: good luck!
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would go with your HRM. Your calories burned do have to do with weight and your treadmill isn't asking you this info because it probably is set at an average weight. (who knows whatthat actually is)
    keep up the good work:wink:
  • Julie837
    Options
    Hi, the machines are preset for a "generic" person, somewhere around 150 pounds, depending on the maker. Unless ypu input your age, etc..., they are one size fits all, so go by your personalized HRM.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    HRM are an accurate way to measure.

However, I don't have one and have been successful at losing still even though I eat some of my calories burned back.

I read in an article that stationary bikes and treadmills are fairly accurate but elliptical's are usually too high. So, the method I read about was when the machine asks for your weight, put in a weight lower than yours. I usually put in 5 lbs less. And then, from the final amount listed at the end of your workout, deduct about 10-15%.

That is what I have done and it has worked for me.