Too much fiber?

Options
When I add my food to my diary I have noticed something amusing... very quickly in the day MFP is telling me I am eating too much fiber (the number is over in red). I understand having that function for calories, fat, carbs, iron (although I tend to need quite a bit more iron than most), etc... and I understand wanting people to make sure they are getting *enough* fiber, but why would MFP try to alert me that I am eating too much fiber? Just wondering.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Too much can cause nutrients not to be absorbed. 30-50 grams should be fine.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either... I drink plenty of water and I don't want colon cancer, so I eat a lot of fiber :) I'll keep doing it too and ignoring the red!
  • fa8le
    fa8le Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found the same with eating Eggs, 2 in a day and I busted into Red. having read up on the + & - I changed the goal settings to allow for this. So the Tinterernet says eggs are good colesterol(shrug).
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I think it is the same case as protein. I always get too much in my diet, I don't think there is any harm in having a protein and fiber rich diet!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You do understand it's just a simple over/under, right? There's not someone sitting there analyzing your diary and sending you an alert. It simply shows you how much you have left to reach the goal amount. People get so freaked out by RED for some reason!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I usually go red on fiber by 11:00! I ignore it. I'm vegan, I eat lots of whole grains, beans, & veggies.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it is the same case as protein. I always get too much in my diet, I don't think there is any harm in having a protein and fiber rich diet!

Well, too much protein can a problem in time, at least for women. I haven't actually read the studies, but I've been told that too much protein can create an acidic condition ,causing the body to leach calcium from the bones to neutralize it. Countries when the women eat much less protein have far fewer cases of osteoporosis.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am not freaked out by red and realize nobody is sitting there analyzing my diet (were you seriously asking that?)... just not sure why on Earth the limit for fiber is so incredibly low. Before I joined MFP I would have assumed my diet was very low in fiber if I'd been asked, so if I am already going "over" some arbitrary number, I can't help but wonder why they have it set at such a low number (I assume it's grams of fiber? Doesn't tell me if it's insoluble or soluble either). As for nutrients being absorbed, have never had a problem there...
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Well, too much protein can a problem in time, at least for women. I haven't actually read the studies, but I've been told that too much protein can create an acidic condition ,causing the body to leach calcium from the bones to neutralize it. Countries when the women eat much less protein have far fewer cases of osteoporosis.
    Any chance of some good references for this? What constitutes too much? It is potentially pretty serious.