The Food Hospital - Crohn's Disease managed with diet

Options
Did anyone watch this?

On the whole I found it quite interesting, but I've just been on the food hospital website and they give a lot more information than was given in the programme about the condition and dietary considerations and implications.

I thought the comment at the end about the girl hopefully being able to manage her Crohn's with diet and put the condition into remission for life was a massive generalisation. But I thought raising awareness to the food replacement drinks as an alternative to the dreaded steroids was immensely useful.

Just wondered if anyone else with IBD had seen this tonight.

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know the show you're referring to, but I'd like to check out the website if you have a link. I have Crohn's and I have found that paying attention to my diet is important. So is exercise (for me it's about stress relief - as it seems stress triggers the body's digestive process to slow / shut down, which is BAD for someone with Crohns.)

I have also learned to be attuned to the way my body feels after eating. It's amazing how subtle (yet huge) these cues are.

Thanks for posting. Do you have a link to the food hospital and the information you're referencing?
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it I have ulcerative colitis. If this could be controlled with diet that would be awesome, I haven't found that secret diet as of yet, but I am doing a lot of research and interested in all opinions on it. I will have to see if I can find it and watch it.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    BUM!! Forgot it's Tuesday. Better crack on then and then I'll watch it on catchup - thanks for the reminder, best think on the TV for ages, I won't read the thread :-)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    http://foodhospital.channel4.com/conditions/crohns-disease

Link to the specific article. On the homepage there is an option to watch the programme, I'm not sure if it's available stateside!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am currently in remission from Crohn's. I have been symptom free for about 4 months after a really bad flare up. I no longer take any medications. I have tried food replacement drinks in the past and it help a little but not enough. I went to a naturopathic doc and she placed me on herbal supplements and plant enzymes. These have help tremendously and I don't get the side effects meds have. In addition, I am able to eat without the pain or discomfort. Also was tested for food allergies and it was a real eye opener.

I also followed the Specifi Carbohydrate Diet. This really helped alot.
    http://www.crohns.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GOT1000&qts=google&qtk=gottschall&gclid=CP_VmITJuawCFYUbQgodFHZfoA

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this show before but I think it is an awesome concept. I believe that we can heal a surprising amount of diseases with nutrition. I don't have Crohn's myself, but I know people with it. I also know many people with Crohn's and other similar issues who have been helped tremendously by following a "paleo" diets and others who have been helped with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet or the GAPS diet.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I checked it out. From what I've learned about Crohn's, it is really such an individual experience and what works with one person isn't guaranteed to work for another. My doctor recommended eating a high fiber diet when I am well, and switching to a "low residue" diet when flaring. This has worked. I have also been on a liquid diet (referenced in the article) to interrupt the flare and put the disease in remission.

I always find it odd when I read that dairy, nuts, and seeds are likely trigger foods - because they don't bother me. I tend to eat nuts and seeds pretty regularly with no problems whatsoever, and I'm increasing my dairy intake and feeling just fine. That said, those things are on the banned list if I'm having a flare.

It's always interesting to see what info is floating about. Thanks for posting. Best wishes to all the IBS ers in the house. :)
  • JohnO93
    Options
    I saw it and feel that it portrayed Crohn's Disease quite poorly. I know that most of the members at crohnsforum.com who saw it and commented are quite upset. Their thread is here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28647

They're mostly upset that it downplayed the severity of Crohn's Disease and misrepresented the most common of symptoms.