Grocery Store Sushi?

Options
2»

Replies

• michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i was soooo iffy about grocery store sushi until i final had some. now i appreciate the price and convenience. of course you must have a fresh clean store. once that is established, sushi at a moment's notice is one of life's simple pleasures. *sheds a single tear* hahaha
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The ones I had (Wegmans & Price Chopper) were a step above the Tasty Super Terrific Happy Family All U Can Eat And Then Some China King or Queen Buffet* places.

And this is now the second sushi thread I've read tonight and now I'm jonesin'!!!

*Name only slightly exaggerated.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    Grocery sushi gets thumbs up...except it actually is most often priced higher than in a shop.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    Our gorcery store has this phenomenal sushi guy that will do it right up there for you (it is a higher end grocery store. Only place around that seems to sell any organics)- Holy cow, is it good! :D
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've had Publix sushi and it did the job.

Glad to hear this, we're about to get a Publix here and I'm excited.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Safeway here gets it made by a sushi place nearby, its not bad, but not in the same playing field as going to a sushi restaurant. I find the rice is too firm and crumbly, not moist and chewy like it should be. But if I can get my pickled ginger and wasabi fix, I'm satisfied with the delivery system, knowing that it's sub par, and just a quick lunch option. I used to get it all the time when i worked across the street.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can get pretty good sushi at grocery stores. I've had good sushi from Costco, believe it or not. I know everyone is worried about the fish. Assuming the fish is fresh, the problem is the rice. Once you refrigerate the rice, it gets hard and crumbly. That's why grocery store sushi will never be as good to me - unless you catch them preparing it.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I've hit it.
    Not bad.
    Not the best.
    But I like sashimi, and they don't sell that.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    They sell sashimi.... it's called RAW FISH!!!!

Costco sells the rolls, and they are not bad.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

If it's not sashimi grade fish, it is in fact just....raw fish.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I've hit it.
    Not bad.
    Not the best.
    But I like sashimi, and they don't sell that.
    The asian food market nearby was recently moved to the new location. Now they have a sashimi stand and a sashimi chef. I was told they have had special training on how to cut the raw fish. Go figure...
  • albayin
    Options

If it's not sashimi grade fish, it is in fact just....raw fish.

I heard that too.
  • albayin
    Options
    I have tried the sushi from costco once. They tasted like...a roll of half cooked rice with some fish in it. LOL the rice really bothered me. It's not soft nor tastes fresh.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Don't try and get slick with me, BOY! mischievous.gif
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The sushi at my Dominick's isn't bad, but sadly at Mariano's (Roundy's) it's HORRIBLE! And they have a sushi chef!! I'd rather pay the same price and go to a restaurant :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can get pretty good sushi at grocery stores. I've had good sushi from Costco, believe it or not. I know everyone is worried about the fish. Assuming the fish is fresh, the problem is the rice. Once you refrigerate the rice, it gets hard and crumbly. That's why grocery store sushi will never be as good to me - unless you catch them preparing it.
    Yeah, this. If getting grocery store sushi, I usually go for cooked fish like shrimp or crab. That part's not so bad. It's the rice that I just can't stomach sometimes. It just tastes old and wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The Safeway near my work has a sushi chef. It is actually decent sushi if you need a quick fix.
    Safeway makes some good sushi.