Very spaced out? Quitting drinking and smoking...

Options
bexominglex
bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
Ok, this a bit off topic but I guess it constitutes chit chat. I am trying to stop drinking and smoking (I have to stop drinking and smoking is making my asthma worse). My last smoke and drink was yesterday (which feels about 2 years ago) but I am really spacey and have a headache today. Did anyone else suffer from brain fog when they were drinking and/or smoking and did it get worse when they tried to quit one or both? I've had this to varying degrees (feeling spacy and high) for about 4 years, and it's somewhat diet related, but also seems to be chemical related. Just got glasses about a week ago and that is making things look a bit weird too (I am legally blind, apparently, without glasses and went a year without a pair).

Also, sweating up a storm. Did anyone gain more weight when they quit smoking?

Replies

• SheriG9
    Options
    YOu, my friend, are detoxing. Your body is wondering what the heck is going on, and you will likely feel worse before you feel better. Hang in there, drink TONS of water, eat healthy whole grains, fruits, and veggies, and rest. In a few days, your body will have cleansed out some of the bad chemicals, and will start to balance itself for a new normal.
    Praying for you!
    Sheri
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and drinking like that as well, but none of that happened to me.

I highly suggest seeing your doctor, especially with such a drastic change.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    your body is definately detoxing, I gave up drinking 7 years ago and I went through that, I am still smoking though, that's my next thing to give up. Just hang in there and it gets a whole lot better.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yes detoxing SUCKS! Exercise helped me.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was guessing it was something along those lines (detoxing and a sudden withdrawal of nicotine, but every time I withdraw my anxiety spikes). The spaciness I have had before but it seems more profound this time. It's just nice to hear from other people what's going on. Also have nausea and have been sleeping pretty much constantly since I got let out of the drunk tank a (was that only yesterday? Sheesh...)

For those that had a drinking problem, were there any techniques you employed to help you quit. I am trying to stay away from my best friend because he is a heavy drinker and tells me to "just stop... it's not a problem, just stop" (yeah, right, like I have had so much success with just stopping up until now) and am also signed up to spend 10 hours or more in a day treatment place to learn skills. I figured I should quit smoking at the same time- if I am going to feel crummy, I might as well kill 2 or more birds with one stone.

Also, I have been drinking most of my life. How many pounds can I expect to lose in a week or two if I just dump the booze all at once? I realize people lose at different rates.

Last time I drank a friend found me down by the ocean talking to some weird drifter and invited me back to her place. I was blacked-out and chucked the telephone at her adult daughter for "bugging" me. So yeah. Need to quit. :) Not in trouble with anyone, but that's not a nice feeling...

When I haven't been sleeping I have been watching movies today and drinking diet cola.