VO2 max??? Any fitness trainers out there

Options
From what i gather this is an indicator of fitness and endurance and has something to do with the maximum capacity my body can use oxygen (though this doesn't mean much to me). My question has to do with my HRM and this setting. With the Polar f6 there is a default VO2 max setting which i think is calculate based on weight, height, sex etc. but you can also enter it manually. Now I know there are some fitness test to estimate VO2 max which i haven't done but regardless i decided to enter my own value because the one it had was like 32 which is really low for someone my age (32). THough i'm overweight, I consider myself quite "fit" so i thought this should be higher so i changed it to 38 which is right on the border of a "good" VO2 max.

So, now that i've said all that HERE'S THE QUESTION: Does the VO2 max setting change the amount of calories I burn according to my HRM and if so how. Biologically does your VO2 max influence the rate at which we burn calories or is it just a measure of endurnace? Confused, please help. Also, does interval training improve this because it strengthens the heart or is long periods of cardio better at increasing the VO2 max?
Thanks!

Replies

• miasuperstar
    Options
    From what i gather this is an indicator of fitness and endurance and has something to do with the maximum capacity my body can use oxygen (though this doesn't mean much to me). My question has to do with my HRM and this setting. With the Polar f6 there is a default VO2 max setting which i think is calculate based on weight, height, sex etc. but you can also enter it manually. Now I know there are some fitness test to estimate VO2 max which i haven't done but regardless i decided to enter my own value because the one it had was like 32 which is really low for someone my age (32). THough i'm overweight, I consider myself quite "fit" so i thought this should be higher so i changed it to 38 which is right on the border of a "good" VO2 max.

So, now that i've said all that HERE'S THE QUESTION: Does the VO2 max setting change the amount of calories I burn according to my HRM and if so how. Biologically does your VO2 max influence the rate at which we burn calories or is it just a measure of endurnace? Confused, please help. Also, does interval training improve this because it strengthens the heart or is long periods of cardio better at increasing the VO2 max?
    Thanks!
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    AFAIK VO2 max does not influence how you burn calories, though I suppose it is an indication of metabolism in some way.

Interval training will help, as will speed work. You need to train just above your Vo2 max in order to improve it. Long slow miles build a base, but they won't tune the high end.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I am no fitness Guru either, but I believe it is a way to follow your cardio fitness level and improvements. I did mine as the HRM said to do, and found out that I am at 57- "Elite"-yay me. Wouldn't think so as I ate a pack of cookies last night.:explode: Anyway, it is recorded and at anytime I can retest to see how I am improving in that sense. No, I don't believe it has anything to do with calories.:drinker:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    I am no fitness Guru either, but I believe it is a way to follow your cardio fitness level and improvements. I did mine as the HRM said to do, and found out that I am at 57- "Elite"-yay me. Wouldn't think so as I ate a pack of cookies last night.:explode: Anyway, it is recorded and at anytime I can retest to see how I am improving in that sense. No, I don't believe it has anything to do with calories.:drinker:

Thanks guys, just wondering did you do some sort of test with your HRM to get your VO2 max? 57 is AWESOME!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Yes on the F11 They have you do an initial test before starting to use it. Just by lying still in bed or wherever. I thought it would be lower bacause I kept thinking...calm, relax, etc and so I was a bit "anxious". I could feel my HR pounding...coo coo:tongue::laugh: