Spinning class

Options
2»

Replies

• allison_joan
    Options
    I started a month ago. You have to put as much of your weight closest to the handle bars, or in another words, as much weight as you can on your arms and not your butt. It will help the butt soreness.

Once you figure out how to sit, the soreness on the butt area will go away after 2 weeks. I only go once a week.

If you ask most spin instructors they will advise you to NOT put weight on your arms. I have almost all my weight in my legs.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm a spin class junkie. I go 2-4x per week. It's my primary weight loss exercise.

Go early to get set up properly on the bike. go at your own pace especially at first. spin classes can be overwhelming with the intensity level for new people. find a spot in the back and let the instructor and otherrs know you are new. they will help you.

try several instructors. the experience depends a lot on the instructor. If you don't like it, try another instructor. This seems weird, but it's absolutely true. the class depends so much on what the instructor decides to do and the environment they set up (music, attitude, encouragement, instruction, etc.)

padded bike shorts, water bottle, towels for the floor to catch your sweat and one on the handlebars to wipe off your face and arms.

if you like it, get cycling shoes with clips to clip in. nashbar.com and performance cycling are great and cheap online stores
  • can_tastic
    can_tastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I became an addict when a fractured ankle forced me to take time off from running. My first session was brutal. I have not been that close to throwing up since I was a fattie in Basic Training trying to run. But I'm an endorphin junkie... and now I am a Certified Instructor. I substitute teach at the gym now occasionally when my schedule permits.

If you don't like it the first time, give it a few more chances before you make up your mind. The right instructor, and bike alignment, can make all the difference.
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Bring water & a towel!

I used to spin a lot, I had a great instructor - I think the instructor and their music choice can really make the difference!

I totally agree...the instructor and music is everything! I love spin as well... but have taken different classes with different people and the energy in the class and the workout is totally different. Great workout and great calorie burn.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I started a month ago. You have to put as much of your weight closest to the handle bars, or in another words, as much weight as you can on your arms and not your butt. It will help the butt soreness.

Once you figure out how to sit, the soreness on the butt area will go away after 2 weeks. I only go once a week.

If you ask most spin instructors they will advise you to NOT put weight on your arms. I have almost all my weight in my legs.

OMG, please do not lean on the handlebars! That is setting yourself up for a repetitive stress injury in the wrists and lower back pain! Spin is a lower body workout, as is cycling on the road or on mountains. Take it all in the quads and hamstrings -- you will be fine within 2 weeks. (I am a spin instructor).
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    PADDED SHORTS. That is all.

Good idea. I don't have any so my sitting bones hurt for two days after a class.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    this is exciting. :D i can't wait to go. i'm getting to the point that weights and interval training isnt enough so im super excited to try somthing new and see if i can get some results.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    with my foot healing ... I think spinning might be my best option for weight lose since I CAN Ride a bike with no pain... HMM maybe I will give it a shot
    not worried about but pain lol since I ride often on my bike, being my main mode of transportation HMMM
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    This is what has worked for me to relieve the butt pain. I noticed that's what other riders do too, so I didn't think it would hurt anything. But I did start getting lower back pain but I didn't tie it to the spinning class. I would follow what she said below. I wonder if my lower back pain was coming from that.. I thought it was from my crappy chair at work.

OMG, please do not lean on the handlebars! That is setting yourself up for a repetitive stress injury in the wrists and lower back pain! Spin is a lower body workout, as is cycling on the road or on mountains. Take it all in the quads and hamstrings -- you will be fine within 2 weeks. (I am a spin instructor).
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    What happen?? Did you go? Did you like it? Doesn't your butt hurt? lol
    this is exciting. :D i can't wait to go. i'm getting to the point that weights and interval training isnt enough so im super excited to try somthing new and see if i can get some results.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    This is what has worked for me to relieve the butt pain. I noticed that's what other riders do too, so I didn't think it would hurt anything. But I did start getting lower back pain but I didn't tie it to the spinning class. I would follow what she said below. I wonder if my lower back pain was coming from that.. I thought it was from my crappy chair at work.

well do keep your weight back in the future; I'm sorry the instructor did not correct your posture. You might want to show up a bit early next time and ask the instructor to make sure the seat is at the right height, and the correct fore/aft position too. If you see others leaning; chances are they are relatively new to spin. You want to be close enough to the handlebars that you just have a gentle bend in your elbows --not so far you have to stretch, or so close you are riding in the fetal position. The handlebars are for resting the hands gently; providing balance only. Once you get used to it, your bootie will be ok and you won't even think about it anymore.

blessings.