Answers please RESTING CALORIES

Options
Why am I taking my workout calories (HRM) and subtracting my time worked out x1.4 to delete out my resting calories when I am not resting. For example todays work out:

59 minutes
642 calories

So I was told a long time ago by someone one here to take the 59 (mins) x 1.4 =82.6 (83)
642-83=559 and that is my calories burnt.

WHY AM I TAKING OUT THAT 83 when I am not resting. Is this making sense as I am so confused now

Valanne

Thanks to all that respond

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hrmmm... I never do that, lol. I mean, resting for 30 seconds between exercises is not resting. You're heart rate is still elevated, just not significantly. Unless you're back at true resting heart rate (like when you're sitting on the couch), you're not resting at all. If I take a 10 minute breather or whatever during a workout, I pause my HRM. I unpause it when I get back to work. Saves me the hassle of trying to figure out how much time I actually spent burning calories. Hope that helps!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The theory is that you would have burned those calories anyway just by being alive. I however do not waste my time with that sort of math. Losing weight is hard enough without making it more complicated. I only eat back a portion of my exercise calories and that makes up for any over calcualted burn or under estimated intake.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Buy a Ki fit or bodybugg..............it takes out all the guessing of how many calories you have burnt exercising !
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    you are taking out the calories your body would have burnt had you not exercised. as in, you could have been resting during those 60 minutes, and if you had, you would have burned 83 calories. but you worked out, and you burned 559 calories. if you just put in 642 calories burned, you're saying that you burned BOTH your resting calories and your exercise calories. and like you said, you were not resting, so you don't need to count those calories.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Why am I taking my workout calories (HRM) and subtracting my time worked out x1.4 to delete out my resting calories when I am not resting. For example todays work out:

59 minutes
    642 calories

So I was told a long time ago by someone one here to take the 59 (mins) x 1.4 =82.6 (83)
    642-83=559 and that is my calories burnt.

WHY AM I TAKING OUT THAT 83 when I am not resting. Is this making sense as I am so confused now

Valanne

Thanks to all that respond

Because MFP has already figured your resting metabolic rate for a 24 hour window. Your HRM also calculates your calories burnt but includes your RMR for that one hour so by adding what is on your HRM to what is already in MFP you're double counting the 83 cals for that hour. I don't bother doing this because I only eat about half of my exercise cals, but taking it out would be more accurate.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    What they are talking about (I believe) is the gross calories vs Net calories burned.

Basically you have a set number of calories burned through the day for just, well, living (your BMR). If you exercise and burn 700 cals in an hour that is your total (gross) energy expenditure for that time. If you were sitting still doing nothing you would technically have still burned about 80 cals during that time.

Therefore the NET burn for your exercise is around 620 cals.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Edit: I see two others posted basically the same response before I did... guess I should learn to type quicker :P
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    What they are talking about (I believe) is the gross calories vs Net calories burned.

Basically you have a set number of calories burned through the day for just, well, living (your BMR). If you exercise and burn 700 cals in an hour that is your total (gross) energy expenditure for that time. If you were sitting still doing nothing you would technically have still burned about 80 cals during that time.

Therefore the NET burn for your exercise is around 620 cals.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Edit: I see two others posted basically the same response before I did... guess I should learn to type quicker :P

This makes absolutely no sense to me...

I know my daily caloric expenditure... (BMR + your normal level of activity; mine is set at sedentary). I eat the calories necessary to live on days when I don't exercise. I eat most of the calories back that I burn in addition to my normal daily caloric expenditure calories on days when I work out (I eat back almost all of what my HRM says I burned). I've never had a problem losing weight that way.