German Chocolate Cake

Options
Wasn't sure where to post this question but here goes. I make a German Chocolate Cake every year at Christmas. I could eat the whole thing but I don't! My question is - how many servings do you think a 3 layer cake would make? I've computed the calories and it's a whopping 12,217 for the whole thing! I'm thinking 18 - any other input?

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    if it's a round, double layer 9 inch cake (like I usually make it) I would say a minimum of 16 servings!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    WOW!! well, if you are worried at all about calories (because even if you cut it into 18 equal slices it's going to be over 1,000 calories per slice!!) Why not try to make it slightly healthier? Get the low-fat, low-sodium, healthier ingredients! This way, you can maybe enjoy a slightly larger slice? But with that many calories, I can tell it must be delicious!!!!!!!!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure where to post this question but here goes. I make a German Chocolate Cake every year at Christmas. I could eat the whole thing but I don't! My question is - how many servings do you think a 3 layer cake would make? I've computed the calories and it's a whopping 12,217 for the whole thing! I'm thinking 18 - any other input?

I would look for alternatives also to maybe make it less calories... play around with some things lik egg whites and stevia...

Maybe you can make different recipes for it and put the batter in a cupcake tin and have a tasting and see which one your family finds closest to the original.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    garfield_eating-cake.gif
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking if I cut it into 100 pieces - that would work! Just kidding. This is my favorite cake and since I only make it once a year, I really don't want to mess with the recipe. I'll just have to cut a small slice and then walk away!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the pan you bake it in and judge from that how many slices you will cut it into.
    And then work out how many cals per slice - and decide if that is a reasonable portion for you and your friends/ family to be eating.
    I wouldn't try to make it lower in cals, it probably won't be the same - but serving smaller portions to everyone might be a good option.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It is hard to cut a round cake into any more than 12 slices because then they really start to just fall apart. How about making cupcakes out of it. No need to alter the recipe, just the cooking time. You could probably get 24 cupcakes out of it. Or you could bake it in a 9"x13" pan and get probably 18-21 small pieces. I think you said it was a triple layer, if that is the case you may get 36 cupcakes out of it. Much better deal for the calories.
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    Ohhhh yummm
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    And don't bring it to my house Mom...you know I will eat the whole thing.