Loose Skin?

Options
I'm planning on losing 70 pounds (hopefully). I'm worried because when my friend lost a bunch of weight very quickly (just from calorie reduction and without any exercise), she had a lot of extra skin on her stomach and arms and it was almost as bad as being overweight. If you exercise and lose weight steadily, does that still happen? Is there anyway to prevent it?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone.. usually rapid weight loss equals loose skin. If you lose weight at a normal pace and you exercise you may get away with very little loose skin if none at all. Some people have a lot of problems with it and some people are lucky and have none.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am afraid genetics plays a big part so i have been told............exercise making sure that you do plenty of weight taining and drink plenty of water to make sure you dont get hydrated.

This article might help you

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 with no issues...very slowly though
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    a lot of people claiming to have loose skin just have a lot more fat to lose.. your final weight most likely will be much lower than you planned but hey you gotta do what you gotta do..

moisturize as often as you can, exfoliate and get a good amount of water. your skin shouldn't be an issue as you lean out more.
    good luck!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I lost weight really fast, I started in January of 2011, and am down 170 lbs. I do have loose skin, but it's not near as terrible as being as obese as I was. I was told the younger you are the better chances that your skin will bounce back. An age they say is under 40 yrs old, which luckily I am. I am just working on it now that I am close to goal. Don't use the loose skin as a crutch or worry about it. If you exercise, drink lots of water it will limit the loose skin. Maybe consult with a personal trainer and find out what exercises will help most with the loose skin, that's what I am doing now and it has definately gone down some.
  • AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    I lost weight really fast, I started in January of 2011, and am down 170 lbs. I do have loose skin, but it's not near as terrible as being as obese as I was. I was told the younger you are the better chances that your skin will bounce back. An age they say is under 40 yrs old, which luckily I am. I am just working on it now that I am close to goal. Don't use the loose skin as a crutch or worry about it. If you exercise, drink lots of water it will limit the loose skin. Maybe consult with a personal trainer and find out what exercises will help most with the loose skin, that's what I am doing now and it has definately gone down some.

170lbs!! good **** man keep killing it thats nuts
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm at nearly 100 lbs lost (it's been 54 weeks - I still have 45 lbs to get to my goal) and have zero excess skin. It doesn't happen to everybody, but even if it does... would you rather be 70 lbs overweight or be fit but have a bit (or a lot) of loose skin? I know which I'd choose.
  • ForTheSmile
    ForTheSmile Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that article! It's been very helpful. Next time I'll remember to just Google my question before making a forum post lol. Thank you everyone for your replies! Congratulations to everyone who's lost weight. You guys are amazing!