Calorie Amount?

Options
Hi everyone! I need help with a calorie count for a serving size! Barilla tortellini says a serving size is 2/3 cup for dry pasta (doubles when it is cooked). There are 230 calories for 2/3 c. dry pasta. So if I had 2/3 cup of cooked pasta, what's the calorie count? It would be less than 230, right? My brain is not figuring this one out! Thanks!

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with that stuff too - question, did you cook the whole package? Can you figure out what fraction of the package you had by looking at what's left? Like here's an example: If there are 4 servings in the package and 230 calories per serving, that's a total of 920 calories for the whole package. If you can look at what you ate and how much is left and determine what fraction of the package you ate, you can figure the calories pretty well. You say you had 2/3 cups cooked pasta - if, for example, there is 1 and 1/3 cups of cooked pasta leftover, that would mean you ate 1/3 of the package, so you could divide the total calories for the entire package and get the amount that you ate.

Hope that wasn't total jibberish. LOL Don't use my numbers if they aren't accurate, it was just an example of how to work the math to figure it out. :-) Of course this all flies out the window if you were not the only one eating and aren't sure how much got eaten by another person. In that sort of scenario, I'd go with the best estimate you can figure and call it a wash.

If you have the info (how much you ate and how much you didn't eat) but aren't sure of how to work the fractions out, feel free to post up some numbers and I'll try to work it out for you. :-) I'd need to know how many servings are in the package and how much you did *not* eat, in addition to what you've already posted.

P.S. This exact issue is the reason I started figuring up calories for an entire recipe while cooking it, then dividing out portions evenly before serving. B/c calorie math gets crazy and hard to estimate if you don't know portion sizes of how many servings you dished out of something. Makes life complicated! LOL
  • kboivin
    Options
    Thats actually a question that my wife and I had some weeks back. I will look forward to an educated response!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    usually with stuff like that i cook the whole package and then just weigh it at the end, divide that by however many servings there are and call it good.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If it doubles in size as it cooks your 2/3 C cooked would be 1/3 dry.
    (2/3)/2 = 2/3 * 1/2 = 2/6 = 1/3

So if 230 calories are in 2/3 dry, and we've already deduced that you consumed 1/3 dry, you'd simply divide 230 by 2, which gives you 115.
  • bdmundt
    Options
    Hi everyone! I need help with a calorie count for a serving size! Barilla tortellini says a serving size is 2/3 cup for dry pasta (doubles when it is cooked). There are 230 calories for 2/3 c. dry pasta. So if I had 2/3 cup of cooked pasta, what's the calorie count? It would be less than 230, right? My brain is not figuring this one out! Thanks!

If 2/3 cups of dry pasta doubles when cooks and = 230 calories for 1 1/3 cups, then half of that you eat....2/3 cups cooks is = 115 calories.

Hope this helps!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    If it doubles in size as it cooks your 2/3 C cooked would be 1/3 dry.
    (2/3)/2 = 2/3 * 1/2 = 2/6 = 1/3

So if 230 calories are in 2/3 dry, and we've already deduced that you consumed 1/3 dry, you'd simply divide 230 by 2, which gives you 115.

That is so much easier than all the stuff I was going to do. LOL
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful response! Unfortunately, it does have to go out the window because it was eaten by others!!! : ) Thanks, though! I'll keep in mind for next time!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    When I cook its just for me, so I only cook one serving of pasta..so if that were 2/3cups of dry pasta, i put that amount into the boiling water, then when its cooked that's what I eat what's cooked.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful response! Unfortunately, it does have to go out the window because it was eaten by others!!! : ) Thanks, though! I'll keep in mind for next time!

Well my convoluted response doesn't do you any good, but other people provided a much easier response that works really well for you. :-)
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ha! @ CMmrsfloyd! I appreciate your help anyways. Thanks to the math brains out there! It definitely helps!