Running Question

Options
All runner friends have a question? I never thought I would run in my life..and I dont know what happened when I saw the marathon run advertisement comming up and without thinking I signed up. I wanted to run to lose weight and struggled to run full5 kms..am still struggling to run 5 kms as I still dont LOVE running yet...I am doing for exercise purpose. Want to know from you all if you started loving runnning or it took time for you to love it...I really want to continue running even after my 10th Dec marathon...please share your experince of the begining stage..I am yet to finish my 1st month anniversary of running.... my timing is 34.50mins...i have still 3 weeks to go for my 1st official run..thank you all.....

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I love it the same way I love hunting and fishing. Even if I don't catch anything, it's about getting outside, forgetting about work and enjoying the scenery!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it, but I almost died from heart failure, so it is now my favorite exercise. I like it best when I am outside.
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to love running, but now I LOVE running. I had a friend talk me in to doing a half marathon in 2009, and I hated her for it every minute...But, after a while, I couldn't get enough!

Wait till AFTER your first race - that was a big turning point for me - you may really like it then!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    For me the first mile always sucks no matter what my fitness level is. I tend to slack off in the summer because I hate treadmill running and hate the heat even more. Once I get into a rhythm I let my mind drift and really enjoy it. I listen to music I love and enjoy the scenery. I also found a running program with varied runs that make it more interesting. If I'm not in the mood I remind myself how great I'll feel when I'm done!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Been running for a little over a year; while I enjoy running I can't say I "love" running just yet...but I do love the rush after a great run and I love the sense of accomplishment and seeing that I have done something that I never thought possible.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Well, I was determined to love it. However in the beginning, it wasn't fun. It was horrible and I had injury after injury. I even had a doc tell me I wasn't made to run. Like I said, I was determined. I don't know when it actually happened, but I did start to love it. Really love it. I started from nothing on January 1st of this year and I just finished my first marathon on November 6th. I believe as you stick with it and it gets "easier" you will love it more. Marathon training is a beast because it's never REALLY easy, but when you love it you don't care.

Good luck!

as a side note: how long have you been at it? One month?
  • pMalak
    pMalak Posts: 41
    Options
    it took me couple months to get into it.

my knee got hurt and i couldn't run for whole week and it made me miserable - i do minimum of 6M a day.

whats your longest run? and guess what dec 10 its my birthday - part of my celebration is a race - 4M :)
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sp1nG... the first mile sucks. After that, I love it. I, too, hate the heat and treadmills. I love running in the winter. There is something so peaceful about running while it is snowing (nice gentle snow, not a blizzard).
  • susanmax
    Options
    I have to say I started it for the same reasons as you. Weight loss! It did take me awhile to really get into it. RIght up until I ran my first race it was still a struggle to get through the first 2 km but once I was through them I started to relax and enjoy the running (most of the time!) But after I crossed the finish line on my first race I had such a rush that I immediately wanted to sign up for another one!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I love running but I've been running for about 9 months and I did not love it for the first couple months because it was pretty difficult for me! I'm glad you've set a goal for yourself, and I would never want to rain on anyone's parade...but 3 weeks for a nonrunner or beginning runner to train for a marathon seems a bit dangerous to me. Even if you were to do a walk/run method, that's a LOT of training. I am also a fairly new runner and recently ran my first half marathon, but I trained for nearly 6 months first. Any reputable marathon training plan that I've seen seems to require at least 10 weeks for even a short program, and that's more for people who are experienced runners already...be really careful if you are seriously planning to run a marathon in 3 weeks!
  • timinaus
    Options
    It can take a while but one day you will be out running and it will hit you. You will realize that your not running for the exercise anymore, but because you enjoy it. Its like your body decides that running is a normal activity and doesn't scream at you to stop as soon as your watch says you have been going 30 minutes.

That's how it was for me anyway, I was running 3 or 4 times a week and had to push myself out the door every time. Then on a run one day I just kept on going without realizing that I wasn't constantly checking my watch to see how much longer I had left. I just kept going til I wanted to stop, which ended up being 20 minutes longer then my usual runs lasted. Now running is just something I have to do, like brushing my teeth. If I don't do it, I just don't feel right.

Hard to explain but when it happens, you will know it, and you will smile.
  • can_tastic
    can_tastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Army made me do it against my will... and then I couldn't get enough. There was a time when I thought anything more than the 2-mile PT test was a waste of time, but now anything under 6 miles just pisses me off. There's no feeling like it in the world, and the endorphins afterwards are oh-so-sweet.
  • can_tastic
    can_tastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love it the same way I love hunting and fishing. Even if I don't catch anything, it's about getting outside, forgetting about work and enjoying the scenery!

Very well said!
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started walking 5 kms a month back and I guess ran full 5 kms 2 weeks back...still must have fully run 5 kms only 5-6 times..rest would run 75% and walk 25%...
  • Sanvita58
    Options
    longest...hahahahahha 5 kms is around 3.5 miles..thats longest...
  • Sanvita58
    Options
    Sorry if i gave wrong impression of marathon..I will participate in 5kms run ONLY in the marathon competition...thay have 5kms..10kms...22kms and 44kms.....thinking of marathon made me collapse on my chair...lol...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Sorry if i gave wrong impression of marathon..I will participate in 5kms run ONLY in the marathon competition...thay have 5kms..10kms...22kms and 44kms.....thinking of marathon made me collapse on my chair...lol...

Oh, thank goodness! I was very worried and was trying to figure out a way to politely tell you you were out of your mind! You are going to do great on your 5k. I feel confident that after you finish your race you will want more and will love running!

Good luck!
  • Sanvita58
    Options
    Thank you so much...
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I genuinely like running now. I start Couch to 5k 7 weeks ago, and I really like it. I look forward to my runs (especially outside) and have fun tracking my speed and distance. I don't run very fast, but that's OK with me. I hope that by the end of the nine weeks I will love it.
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Started running about ten years ago and hated it, but wanted the exercise. At the time I would run two or three miles. Trained for a mini-marathon in 2003 and got hooked. Since then my runs are in the 5-10 mile range. It is a quite solitary time away from phone, tv, computer, work, etc. Google search ‘Hal Higdon’ for some great training guides, any fitness level or distance.