Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    BatmanandJokerDietDiscussion.jpg
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    When you wait long perioeds between meals your body will store more fat. This is a survival mechanism.

Define "long periods"
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Holy crap there are a lot of posts on here! Look, I developed a habit of eating late at night and I soon developed digestive problems, morning sickness (only on days I ate to late at night), and weight gain. THIS IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE! Which is the only knowledge I can rightfully share. On the off chance that whoever posted the initial question, has a similar body to me, that would be awesome if this was helpful to them. If not, oh well, maybe someone else's answers were.

And as of right now, I actually REALLY hope that everyone who was so negatively against me, is right. Because I just had a bunch of movie theater popcorn before bed. haha
    I didn't get the impression from your comments that you were talking about the effects of eating late on some folks' digestive tracts versus the effect on weight loss.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE problem with eating later at night, which is really bad. Typically, its best not to eat after 7pm. Maybe even 6pm. And small meals are much better for you. They will help you get used to smaller portion meals and after your body adjusts, you won't be feeling hungry. Find some tricks in the meantime, but your body will get used to it and your stomach will need much less food to feel full.

Eating later at night is NOT bad. It's only bad if you have already eaten your calories throughout the day and then eat more at night. As long as you create your calorie deficit, it doesn't matter if you have all your calories in one big meal right before bed.

YES, it actually is bad to eat later at night. Unless you work out before you go to bed. Eating carbs at night is even worse for you. Carbs give your body energy. And unless you burn the calories before bed, all that fat is stored and the nutrients is not absorbed because your digestive system is not as active as it is during the day. It also causes difficulty sleeping and things like GERD.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this. I ALWAYS eat before I go to bed - every single night. I've lost 60lbs and I've kept it off. It is more about WHAT you are eating than WHEN you are eating it.

Like I said, I ALWAYS eat before bed - usually 20 mins or so before I go and I'm doing just fine with it. Everyone's body is different. If YOU can't do it, then state "I can not eat before bed" but do NOT post and make it sound like it is set in stone for everyone.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    When you wait long perioeds between meals your body will store more fat. This is a survival mechanism.

Define "long periods"
    37 minutes or longer chief
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    I have a HUGE problem with eating later at night, which is really bad. Typically, its best not to eat after 7pm. Maybe even 6pm. And small meals are much better for you. They will help you get used to smaller portion meals and after your body adjusts, you won't be feeling hungry. Find some tricks in the meantime, but your body will get used to it and your stomach will need much less food to feel full.

Eating later at night is NOT bad. It's only bad if you have already eaten your calories throughout the day and then eat more at night. As long as you create your calorie deficit, it doesn't matter if you have all your calories in one big meal right before bed.

YES, it actually is bad to eat later at night. Unless you work out before you go to bed. Eating carbs at night is even worse for you. Carbs give your body energy. And unless you burn the calories before bed, all that fat is stored and the nutrients is not absorbed because your digestive system is not as active as it is during the day. It also causes difficulty sleeping and things like GERD.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this. I ALWAYS eat before I go to bed - every single night. I've lost 60lbs and I've kept it off. It is more about WHAT you are eating than WHEN you are eating it.

Like I said, I ALWAYS eat before bed - usually 20 mins or so before I go and I'm doing just fine with it.

Good for you! Like I said, that is only my personal experience. I soooo wish I could eat late at night. But you are lucky that you can! Congrats on the 60lbs!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Define "long periods"

Gottcha, and I gotta eat within 1 hour post workout or my muscles will grow teeth and eat themselves right?
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Man I love MFP!
    - it so entertaining, better than prime time tv!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

Define "long periods"

Gottcha, and I gotta eat within 1 hour post workout or my muscles will grow teeth and eat themselves right?

No sir the new made up time is 37 minutes! An hour is just too long. You'll go catabolic chief, it's Broscience
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Thanks.

Your posts came across as very know it all, I know best, etc. Please keep in mind that we are ALL different (hence why people got snarky with you) and that different things work for different people. Trying to make a general statement for what works for YOU as "Fact" isn't how to go about being helpful.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you were very in everyone's face about the whole subject.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I do eat every 2-3 hours. I do it because when I go too long without eating, my blood sugar drops too low. When it is too low, I get headachy, witchy, light headed AND I have a desperate desire to binge eat. For me, eating every couple hours keep all of that (especially the binge eating!) under control. So, while it may not do a damn thing for my metabolism or it may not do a damn thing for my weight loss maintenance, it makes ME feel better. And really? All I care about is what is working for ME.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Your body continually burns energy even at rest. If you haven't reached your total calories for the day and finish them off at night, you're fine.
    This whole "no eating late at night" has been debunked for awhile now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options

Thanks.

Your posts came across as very know it all, I know best, etc. Please keep in mind that we are ALL different (hence why people got snarky with you) and that different things work for different people. Trying to make a general statement for what works for YOU as "Fact" isn't how to go about being helpful.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you were very in everyone's face about the whole subject.

Like I said, I ALWAYS eat before bed - usually 20 mins or so before I go and I'm doing just fine with it.

Good for you! Like I said, that is only my personal experience. I soooo wish I could eat late at night. But you are lucky that you can! Congrats on the 60lbs!

I have stated several times now that I was speaking about personal experience. I am sorry if I went about being helpful in the wrong way. I never would have thought that it would blow up like this. You're right, everyone is different. I really was just trying to be helpful. I do not "know it all." If I did, I would not be on MFP. And I don't feel like I was getting in anyone's face. I was insulted several times and only defended myself.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

No sir the new made up time is 37 minutes! An hour is just too long. You'll go catabolic chief, it's Broscience

37 mins, I don't have enough time. It takes me 38 mins to get home from gym and heat up my DiGiorno! Not wonder I can't bulk, I'm in the catabolic window already :(
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Well firstly, you are kind of rude. And secondly, I get all my fitness and diet information from my personal trainer. So wether you agree with my advice or not, it is educated advice.
    Personal trainer is wrong then. I'd bet my certificate against theirs because science shows it makes no difference when in the day you consume your calorie allowance.
    It's like the myth that states eating breakfast "revs up" your metabolism.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Educated? How does one become a personal trainer? Just curious...
    Not all Personal Trainers are uninformed. I know I'm well educated and even have a thread on BS myths on fitness and nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options

Well firstly, you are kind of rude. And secondly, I get all my fitness and diet information from my personal trainer. So wether you agree with my advice or not, it is educated advice.
    Personal trainer is wrong then. I'd bet my certificate against theirs because science shows it makes no difference when in the day you consume your calorie allowance.
    It's like the myth that states eating breakfast "revs up" your metabolism.

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for your professional opinion. It has been established that these are my issues and not to be taken as general fact like I seemed to be saying it was. As far as general health FOR ME, it is very bad for me to eat late at night. My personal trainer was probably speaking about my specific circumstances. Obviously I am no professional.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I have stated several times now that I was speaking about personal experience. I am sorry if I went about being helpful in the wrong way. I never would have thought that it would blow up like this. You're right, everyone is different. I really was just trying to be helpful. I do not "know it all." If I did, I would not be on MFP. And I don't feel like I was getting in anyone's face. I was insulted several times and only defended myself.

I wouldn't say you were only defending yourself. I do recall some name calling. And also not so much speaking from experience, looks like you took a lot of what your trainer said as fact and spreading myths. I just hope you take the time and read over the studies that have been posted. Very good reads! If you would like more I can link you some if you would like. That way you have some science behind what you say, not just what your trainer says.

Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • JanisCat11
    Options
    Something that my friend taught me (he is a personal trainer and lost about 200 lbs before he started training) was to either eat fat free cottage cheese and low cal veggies (celery, peppers, green beans...not peas, corn, carrots, potatoes. etc. ). If you are like me and hate cottage cheese, he said getting a casein protein powder and drinking it along with a few low cal crunchy veggies is good. I will tell you it works wonders. I was always so hungry when I went to bed and got up starving....which led to late night kitchen raids. I feel much better now, I would say that the shake actually makes me feel very full and in the morning I am not hungry either. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Also i think posts like this is what we are talking about:

The way you worded it then makes it seem like no one should be eating before bed unless they workout or they will get fat. And that carbs for everyone are bad before bed, which as shown in many responses are not true. It helps when you say "this is what works for me" instead of stating it like it is a fact for everyone. Just advice so threads don't blow up on ya lol