any ideas

Options
Okay I am entering in baby spinach to my food diary and it only has 3 0z or 1 0z. How much is that in cups. I don't have a scale so I have no idea!!!

Help Please!!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Okay I am entering in baby spinach to my food diary and it only has 3 0z or 1 0z. How much is that in cups. I don't have a scale so I have no idea!!!

Help Please!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, like lettuce, spinach is extremely low cal. Consider how large your salad is. A peice of meat the size of your palm is 3 ounces... If you're have 3 oz, you better be having one massive salad. :bigsmile:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    There are 8 oz in a cup...........
  • MattySparky
    Options
    agreed... 3 oz of salad is huge! take one cereal bowl (average) for example... if you had a heaping salad that was over the top of the bowl then that would be about 3 oz... maybe a bit more.
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well, you could measure it but spinach is awfully low in cals... I wouldn't bother unless it really gets you.
  • MattySparky
    Options

those are fluid ounces.... fluid ounces and the weight ounces are two totally different things (which Im sure you know)... I think she was asking about the weight.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

those are fluid ounces.... fluid ounces and the weight ounces are two totally different things (which Im sure you know)... I think she was asking about the weight.

You are right, but for the purpose of measuring, the weights for metric oz and fluid oz are pretty comparable. You could use 8oz ( 3oz x 2.7 or so) and come up with a fairly accurate number.
  • kerrilucko
    Options

You are right, but for the purpose of measuring, the weights for metric oz and fluid oz are pretty comparable. You could use 8oz ( 3oz x 2.7 or so) and come up with a fairly accurate number.

You actually couldn't. Think about it, water weighs a lot more than a feather right? So 8 oz of water is going to take up a LOT less space than 8 oz of feathers. An OZ is a measurement of weight, a cup is a measurement of volume. The 2 are not interchangeable because they will differ depending on how heavy the food is that you are measuring.
  • GIBride01
    Options

You actually couldn't. Think about it, water weighs a lot more than a feather right? So 8 oz of water is going to take up a LOT less space than 8 oz of feathers. An OZ is a measurement of weight, a cup is a measurement of volume. The 2 are not interchangeable because they will differ depending on how heavy the food is that you are measuring.

You are right about volume and weight being different, but 8 oz of water and 8 oz of feathers both weight 8 oz,,they do take up different volumes. If we were being really precise, it would matter. But one fluid ounce of water weighs 29.574 grams, or 1.043 dry ounces . So not a huge difference in the overall big picture. A scale would be the most accurate way to go. You would have to pack the spinach leaves in tightly in a measuring cup, if you just set them in lightly the weight probably would be pretty off. But for the purpose of guesstimating the calories in a cup of baby spinach, I think it would work. I am tempted to buy a kitchen scale for stuff like this, but I feel way anal about numbers as it is,,,,,,I'm afraid this would put me over the edge. I used to teach families at home about how to correctly weigh volumes and grams with household items, so I have gotten pretty good at cheating! Ok, I'm starting to sound WAY anal...sorry..can't help myself..:ohwell:
  • kerrilucko
    Options

You are right about volume and weight being different, but 8 oz of water and 8 oz of feathers both weight 8 oz,,they do take up different volumes. If we were being really precise, it would matter. But one fluid ounce of water weighs 29.574 grams, or 1.043 dry ounces . So not a huge difference in the overall big picture. A scale would be the most accurate way to go. You would have to pack the spinach leaves in tightly in a measuring cup, if you just set them in lightly the weight probably would be pretty off. But for the purpose of guesstimating the calories in a cup of baby spinach, I think it would work. I am tempted to buy a kitchen scale for stuff like this, but I feel way anal about numbers as it is,,,,,,I'm afraid this would put me over the edge. I used to teach families at home about how to correctly weigh volumes and grams with household items, so I have gotten pretty good at cheating! Ok, I'm starting to sound WAY anal...sorry..can't help myself..:ohwell:

:huh: if you packed them really tightly wouldn't they get kind off mashed up and yucky? my kitchen scale is my best friend, lol.
  • GIBride01
    Options

:huh: if you packed them really tightly wouldn't they get kind off mashed up and yucky? my kitchen scale is my best friend, lol.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok,,,that cracked me up...I am picturing someone stomping up and down on a cup of spinach...I really do need to get a kitchen scale, my husband will kill me if I get one more kitchen gadget....we are moved by the army frequently and only allowed up to a specific amount of weight. We went over last time, which my husband swears is due to my kitchen stuff and my shoes...I could probably stash a scale in the closet with the vacumn...he never goes in there.:devil: