need advice...

Options
bexominglex
bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
A while ago I posted that I would be able to walk dogs for 5 dollars hour if I got a call in advance, that I liked animals and that it would be a hobby and not a full time job. I wrote that I didn't want or need this as a job and set the price that low because some people might only want a 20 or 30 minute walk and that is the lowest I will go for getting ready and going to someone else's house. However, a lady phoned me. Apparently she thinks I will walk her puppy every day throughout the day for a total of 5 bucks (which is pretty ridiculous). I also wrote out that I won't be walking any animal every day and it's a back up (like having a babysitter- you don't expect a babysitter to be available 24-7). She seems nice enough, and I am meeting her tomorrow. I could afford to make a few extra bucks simply by walking (I am low on money and I like walking and dogs), but I never stated nor do I want to be completely responsible for someone else's pet for 5 bucks a day. At first she seemed reasonable and I have noticed that what I initially wrote seems to have been "forgotten" in the 3-4 phone calls I have gotten from her.

When I was a kid I met up with someone like this. I wrote a note that said I would mow lawns for a reasonable price, buyer decides how much (the going rate for most kids in the neighborhood was 5 bucks to mow a lawn with a lawnmower, about 30 minutes worth of work). I was given a weed whacker and a pair of shears to cut some HUGE overgrowth from the backyard (I spent about 2 or 3 hours at this task). I was paid 75 cents. Apparently being cheap knows no bounds.

I did state 5/hour but I am not coming over for 30 minutes (or worse, 20 minutes) several times a day because obviously the time it will take to get there adds up, and the rest of my day then means I have to be in that area and can't go anywhere else. That's getting a bit ridiculous. How should I state my boundaries a bit more clearer (technically she is correct, but I should have put 1 hour minimum per walk- at this rate I could take this puppy for 6 10 minute walks a day). I am on disability but I actually live in a very expensive part of Vancouver, so I know this person probably does have money anyway, and it was already a REALLY good deal.

Replies

• Abelrose
    Options
    my dog nanny charges $15 per walk if she comes to your house. $20/day if the dog stays at her house all day. That's in Alabama. I would imagine Vancouver is more expensive. Good luck!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You're not a business who has to stick to their contract or advertisement....you're an individual offering a service. Let her know that you will take the dog on a one hour walk for this price, or a half an hour walk for this price. If they want less that's fine, but they'd still be charged for the full half hour or hour. If they want more, they would have to pay the additional hour or what have you.

If she is not ok with that, she can find another dog walker. And make sure they pay first! No pay, no service!
  • bexominglex
    Options
    Vancouver is very expensive. A can of chunky soup is something like 4 bucks (or more, after taxes). I am not a professional dog walker and I probably was under-charging to begin with, but I still feel like I am being taken for a ride. Let's put it this way. A semi-decent bachelor apartment in a decent part of this city is at LEAST 800 a month, unless you live in a special subsidized building. 5 bucks is nothing. It's not the money that bugs me, it's the idea of having to walk some puppy several times a day every day. Going to state very firmly tomorrow that I can't be doing this every day and that I won't be walking any animal before noon.
  • bexominglex
    Options
    Now I have to ante up and grow a back bone. I have a LOT of trouble disappointing people and stating reasonable boundaries for myself. I didn't want to simply write 5 dollars/walk on the sign because I was afraid if I did that I would get some smart *kitten* asking me to take their dog for an 8 hour walk.

I should have written 5 dollars a walk/or an hour. Plus all the other reasonable conditions (such as, I will not be getting up at 5:30 am to walk dogs). But I didn't want the ad to read like one huge disclaimer.

Learning how to say no and not feel like a jerk will be a good lesson for me.