I CANT STAND THIS PLATEAU

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You REALLY seem to be starving yourself. Not completely, but you're clearly not eating enough. I know this doesn't help you, but I'd jump through the roof if I was allowed or even advised to eat more... Never had trouble to reach or go over my calories :(
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The Weight Loss Plateau

Over time our bodies adapt to the lowered calorie level. Our body becomes more efficient at using energy (lowered metabolism), and therefore burns less fat.
    This is why most of us reach a weight loss plateau. At this point, the only option is to boost metabolism; increased cardio, weight training, 'cheat' meals (i.e. occasional high-calorie meals), cycling (or zig-zagging) calories, and even manipulating macro-nutrient ratios can all help to do this (don't forget adequate sleep and hydration). You often find that the nearer you get to your goal weight (or body fat percentage) - the harder things get!

Continually dropping calories only serves to lower metabolism even further - the moment you return to 'normal' eating - the weight comes back on.

Ain't that the truth. I've been losing this last 5 pounds for months...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'ev been at this plateau for months now I do almost 7 hour of cardio and still nothing. Ive tried cheating a bit as well yet nothing I ve lost 37 pounds and now i'm stuck how do i stay motivated in this negative spot

Eat more and lift weights. Cardio is only good for short term burn but not increasing your metabolism. That is where muscle comes into play. Also, if you do more cardio, you need to significantly eat more calories. you still only want to maintain a 500 calorie defiicit or less (depending on where you are in your goal).
  • sandincocco
    Options
    :smile:
  • krystonite
    Options
    Your protein is really low. If you're exercising that much and not eating enough protein then you are not maintaining lean muscle mass. Muscle will burn more calories, you want to preserve that muscle. I'd say to stop skipping meals, lower the carbs a bit, and up up up the protein.
  • sandincocco
    Options
    thanks for the info I do lifts some weights 3 days a week. should i cut back on cardio some
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    11 weeks and counting!!! Good Luck and DON'T GIVE UP.

Almost 2 months and I can't seem to lose. My mini goal to lose 15 more pounds is slowly approaching( Thanksgiving day)! I do know I will get there soon so I just keep kicking *kitten* everyday! Keep up the great work, you will get there soon! :D
  • getfit618
    getfit618 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not skipping meals- I just change my diary to 5 meals a day instead of 3 and so they got shifted and it seems that way!
  • getfit618
    Options
    eating more is SO HARD. i feel satisfied with how much i eat now so it seems silly to force foods- guess ill just eat more PB. THANKS EVERYONE for your help though its nice just hearing ideas and suggestions!

It's more of a mental thing than a physical. We know this because we all got in the problem with weight by eating a lot more than 1200 calories (or my case 3000, lol). If you have trouble eating more quantity, then you need to eat more quality (higher calorie foods) that will provide more benefit; avocado, nuts, peanut butter, no low fat substitutes, cheese, and cook with olive oil. Also, 1200 calories is not nearly going to be enough. If you give me your height, I can figure out what your caloric needs are.
    [/quo

I am only 5 feet tall!
  • big_dog8
    big_dog8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    add some protein shakes or protein bars (no less than 16 g. protein) Pure Protein are very good.. more protein and less carbs should work for you..
  • getfit618
    Options
    I'm definitely going to increase my protein- I guess I never really thought I wasn't eating enough of it! Also I don't skip meals ever! I eat 3 meals a day I just added snacks to my diary yesterday so it seems like I don't eat lunch cause all my past lunches change to am snack!
  • getfit618
    Options
    So how much protein should my goal be? I scanned through and I wasn't grossl under any days and most days I seemed I was over! I guess I don't know what the best recommendation would be! Thanks
  • krystonite
    Options
    So how much protein should my goal be? I scanned through and I wasn't grossl under any days and most days I seemed I was over! I guess I don't know what the best recommendation would be! Thanks

General rule of thumb is a gram of protein per gram of weight. So if you weigh 130lbs you'd eat 130grams of protein. You really can't eat too much of protein, though, so don't worry about every "going over" on it. But try eating at least 100grams.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    11 weeks and counting!!! Good Luck and DON'T GIVE UP.

Since June for me. I've tried all of the above at one point or another. I'm just goin to keep on plugging
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am only 5 feet tall!

Well your height doesn't really have anything to do with how much you can eat and it doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat more calories. In reality, your metabolism has more to do with your lean muscle mass than your height, age or sex. Those are just genetic factors that can reduce the amount of lean muscle mass. Besides, I know several 5" girls that can pack down over 2000 calories and not gain weight and in fact gain muscle.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also, for all those who are at plateaus, feel free to PM me and I can work with you. I have been able to break one 3 different times and have helped a bunch of people do the same. I use the Katch McArdle formula which bases your caloric needs based on BMR, TDEE and a deficit from there. Also, it takes an average of calories over a week so you aren't fighting to get calories at the end of the day.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I hit a big plateau that lasted for WEEKS, I completely stopped my exercise and diet for one week. I ate whatever I wanted and didn't work out. When I started my regularly routine back up a week later, the steady weight loss started again. I do this about once every 2-3 months to re-jump start my weight loss.