Spanx!~

Options
2»

Replies

• killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    If you go out and wear spanx don't even think about eating or drinking

I don't agree, but I have only worn the bottoms, never the ones for dresses or just the tops, so I don't know how constricting those are. I would never wear a suit without Spanx and I don't feel uncomfortable in them at all. But maybe the dress ones are more constricting.

I've worn the high waisted ones-- basically underwear that goes up to your bra-- and they never kept me from eating or drinking! It's tight, but secure feeling, like a sports bra... It just feels like everything is being held in place... Lol
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    it tends to give you the "barrel effect"...sure, you arent lumpy and bumpy, but you are ROUNDED, not flat tummy or anything, it just smooths what you have, doesnt make anything go away lol. so really, if you arent already somewhat in shape, its going to make you look like a barrel lol

That's exactly what happens to me. I can't wear them -- even after losing the weight -- because they make my stomach look rounder and because my waist & hips are smaller, I look pregnant. I've convinced all those "baby bumps" the stars are shown with are the result of Spanx.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I wear a 6/8 but my weight is all in the front. I bought Spanx to wear under a clingy party dress and wanted to flatten out my tummy a little. It worked, but it was the most uncomfortable thing to put on! I even tried it on in the store and bought a larger size. They are okay for special occasions, but I wouldn't want to wear one regularly
  • CaraBeara1
    Options
    I like spanx too for smoothing stuff out. Just never figured out how to wear it under a swimsuit. :smile:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I had a slip that was similar to spanx, and it had a built in bra, which I really liked and wore it under dresses to smooth things out. Not to suck it all in and lose a couple of sizes. That's when you run into painful gouging and not being able to eat anything for fear of your clothes exploding off of you.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Spanx - I call it steel belted radial underwear. totally uncomfy, but darn right I will wear it, especially if the fabric of the top or dress is thin...darn people and their flimsy brides maids dresses!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i think they are great, slightly cheaper and less daunting than having a tummy tuck thats for sure... why is it so bad to wear something smooth out your curves. if you are overweight, you can't spanx out being overweight, it just smooths the lines a bit... it's not like you are a size 16 and stick a spanks on and look like a size 10, you'll just look a little less wobbly 16.

if you want to get down to a size 12 or 10 or 8 or 6, you'll have to lose the bodyfat, but the spanks might make you feel good in the mean time.

i use those kind of underwear when i wear a dress, because after having 2 c-sections, my stomach still sticks out and makes me look pregnant, and wobbles, so i put the underwear on, feel a little less bulgy, wobbly and a bit smoother. i'm not at my goal, and still have a way to go, but i'm pretty sure, when i get to my pre-pregnancy weight, my stomach will stick out alot further than it did pre-children.

nobody seems to care if people have a tummy tuck or a boob job (the cheats way out), but it's not ok to stick on some spanks to make you feel a bit more glamourous. just like a bra, how is wearing a bra cheating. if i didn't wear one, my boobs would be down to my belly button, it's genetics and age. unless you are super super psycho fit and obsessed, gravity will take it's toll, age will take it's toll, child rearing will take it's toll. none of us are perfect, we need a bit of help at times to counteract the perils of the ageing body.

people who are delusional (a size 16+ thinking that a spanks will make them look like they've lose 10kg) will always be dilusional. too bad for them. You, on the other hand, are committed to making the changes, will reap the real rewards.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I wore some spanx (well some other brand, but same thing) for my sisters wedding, but just to smooth things out a bit. I would not wear spanx, for something like a halter top. Personally, I can't stand when overweight people wear form fitting clothes like that. My sister is overweight and she is always wearing clothes that are clinging to her body, which I do not want people to see my rolls. But maybe this is just me. Because even when I get to my goal, I can't picture myself in a halter top, or short shorts.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Why would you hate Spanx?

It gives women confidence that they look good in their clothes. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    It can tighten up the wiggle, and smooth out the lumps and bumps. It doesn't reduce your size.

When I was 149 I still wore them because I was still wiggly from my excess skin... It helped me feel good in my clothes... I just don't understand the big issue, why be upset that someone else is trying to feel good about themselves even if they are bigger than you?
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I really don't see anything wrong with Spanx. They are not like those body magic contraptions that you can barely breathe or go to the bathroom in and you need assistance in putting them on. Spanx falls into the category of proper foundational undergarments. A lot of people may be too young to know about proper foundation undergarments (ask your grandmothers). The purpose of foundation undergarments is to keep you from jiggling inappropriately and to smooth out lumps, bumps and rolls. A real lady would never be caught dead without her longline bra, panty girdle and slip (a slip is especially useful for dresses that are see-through, and it also reduces/eliminates panty lines). Think back to Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Judy Garland, the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (if you don't know any of these names, you're too young and should probably talk to your grandmother or great grandmother). They all wore these types of undergarments. Even stars today wear them.

While I am not a fan of the body magic type products, I personally feel that wearing the appropriate types of undergarments shows that you really care about and take pride in yourself, your appearance, and the message your appearance sends to others. I could never hide my size, but I do want to look my best at all times. And I want to look respectable, not sloppy or sleazy. That's why I paid attention to my mother and grandmothers when they taught the importance of the right foundational undergarments.

And Spanx are not uncomfortable at all. They're spandex, the same material that lots of leggings and other workout gear are made of.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think calling it fake is a bit much. I mean we wear bras that lift and change the shape of our breasts. I don't find that nor wearing spanx to be fake in any way. I don't think women who wear spanx or the like are using it as an excuse to be overweight, although I would not wear spanx for every day clothing (I've yet to wear spanx though), I would definitely wear one if I have to be in a flimsy bridesmaids dress, or clothing that emphasizes lumps.There are some materials, although pretty, they can magnify the lumps, rolls etc. more. Some women who have been through pregnancy or weight loss have extra skin that is there whether they work hard to lose the weight on their own or not, that skin is still there, and things like spanx can smooth it out for them. Plus since spanx is a compression garment, I've heard it can actually help shape/slim your body if you wear them regularly.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The teenage girls at my school all wear them...under dresses to act as slips....under the short shorts to give them more decent lenghts.....I really had no idea until I just read this that they were supposed to keep the fat under control. The girls wear them more like leggings.....well, shorter leggings.....
  • mlisa1802
    mlisa1802 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my Spanx! I have a pooch belly so it holds my stomach in nicely when I sit down instead of having it fold over the top of my pants. It just smoothes away the back and belly fat and makes my clothes fit better. I don't see a problem with it, serves the same purpose as bras and makeup.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you go out and wear spanx don't even think about eating or drinking

I don't agree, but I have only worn the bottoms, never the ones for dresses or just the tops, so I don't know how constricting those are. I would never wear a suit without Spanx and I don't feel uncomfortable in them at all. But maybe the dress ones are more constricting.

I've worn the high waisted ones-- basically underwear that goes up to your bra-- and they never kept me from eating or drinking! It's tight, but secure feeling, like a sports bra... It just feels like everything is being held in place... Lol

I also wear them, I'm pretty much at my goal, but I still have a bit of a pooch (workin on it!), I am actually wearing the same ones I wore 41 pounds ago! I find them incredibly comfortable, mostly because I don't have to suck anything in, I can just relax and be myself. See my profile pic? I'm wearin' Spanx!! Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

i :heart: spanx. SO MUCH!!!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I really don't see anything wrong with Spanx. They are not like those body magic contraptions that you can barely breathe or go to the bathroom in and you need assistance in putting them on. Spanx falls into the category of proper foundational undergarments. A lot of people may be too young to know about proper foundation undergarments (ask your grandmothers). The purpose of foundation undergarments is to keep you from jiggling inappropriately and to smooth out lumps, bumps and rolls. A real lady would never be caught dead without her longline bra, panty girdle and slip (a slip is especially useful for dresses that are see-through, and it also reduces/eliminates panty lines). Think back to Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Judy Garland, the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (if you don't know any of these names, you're too young and should probably talk to your grandmother or great grandmother). They all wore these types of undergarments. Even stars today wear them.

While I am not a fan of the body magic type products, I personally feel that wearing the appropriate types of undergarments shows that you really care about and take pride in yourself, your appearance, and the message your appearance sends to others. I could never hide my size, but I do want to look my best at all times. And I want to look respectable, not sloppy or sleazy. That's why I paid attention to my mother and grandmothers when they taught the importance of the right foundational undergarments.

And Spanx are not uncomfortable at all. They're spandex, the same material that lots of leggings and other workout gear are made of.

Wow! Great points and very well said. Respect for the undergarment... Just watch Madmen!
  • sadams977
    sadams977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Okay, more of what I was getting at with this post is 300-400 lb women in lanebryant that are sucking themselves into things like spanx to make it look like they have some kind of figure.To get into smaller clothing sizes. I completely understand all of your points, and really respect them. I wasn't at all trying to hurt anyone feelings. Kind of like that "Insta-slim" thing I've seen on tv that sucks you in in the middle, pretty silly.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    There is an add for shapewear on the side LOL. A very heavy lady should not wear a halter top. Sorry
    I do wear shape wear. I have lost over 100lbs and have saggy skin. It helps it not look so gross under clothes.

Working out and eating right is always the best answer