For those of you that really know your strength training

Options
Having reached my original goal, I've decided it's time to REALLY start toning up. The problem with this is the only facility I have access to is extremely limited in It's equipement. All it has for free weights are 10, 40 and 50 lb weights. It also had a lat pull down machine and a bench with one of those big bars... like for skull crushers. Sorry, the names escape me. Anyway, obviously there's not a lot I can do with that equipement. I am just going to write out the routine I started yesterday. I would really appreciate it if you can let me know what you think, and give me ideas for other things I might be able to try with our limited facility:

I'm keeping up with my cardio, running about 20mins 4-5 times each week.

2 sets of 10 lat pull downs with 25lbs weight (I plan to increase number of sets and the weight slowly)
3 sets of 4 (on each side) bicep curls with 10lbs weight. (I plan to increase the number of reps in each set slowly, but I can't really increase the weight, 40 is too big of a jump)
2 sets of 5 tricep dips
2 sets of 15 ab crunches
2 sets of 10 lunges
2 sets of 10 push ups

I am going to try to do this routine 3-4 times a week.

Is there anything else I can try? I really want to work on my quads, hence the lunges, and my fiance says running will help too but is there anything else I can do for them? Thanks to anyone who can help me out! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Having reached my original goal, I've decided it's time to REALLY start toning up. The problem with this is the only facility I have access to is extremely limited in It's equipement. All it has for free weights are 10, 40 and 50 lb weights. It also had a lat pull down machine and a bench with one of those big bars... like for skull crushers. Sorry, the names escape me. Anyway, obviously there's not a lot I can do with that equipement. I am just going to write out the routine I started yesterday. I would really appreciate it if you can let me know what you think, and give me ideas for other things I might be able to try with our limited facility:

I'm keeping up with my cardio, running about 20mins 4-5 times each week.

2 sets of 10 lat pull downs with 25lbs weight (I plan to increase number of sets and the weight slowly)
    3 sets of 4 (on each side) bicep curls with 10lbs weight. (I plan to increase the number of reps in each set slowly, but I can't really increase the weight, 40 is too big of a jump)
    2 sets of 5 tricep dips
    2 sets of 15 ab crunches
    2 sets of 10 lunges
    2 sets of 10 push ups

I am going to try to do this routine 3-4 times a week.

Is there anything else I can try? I really want to work on my quads, hence the lunges, and my fiance says running will help too but is there anything else I can do for them? Thanks to anyone who can help me out! :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    you should be doing squats too... :)
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    you should be doing squats too... :)

ok... how exactly do I do a squat? Like do you mean with weights or what?
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Your own body is your best form of exercise...squats, push-ups, etc. There are many examples on the internet. These are the most serious workouts.

Also, I would highly recommend you ramp up your cardio to at least 30 minutes three or four times a week.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Your own body is your best form of exercise...squats, push-ups, etc. There are many examples on the internet. These are the most serious workouts.

Also, I would highly recommend you ramp up your cardio to at least 30 minutes three or four times a week.

Thanks. I am trying to run longer and longer. I'd go for an hour is I could, I think that is my goal. But 20 minutes has me falling down half dead after :laugh: I do warm up and cool down with some walking though so I am actually doing about a 1/2 hour of cardio, but only 20 minutes of intense cardio.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I usually do 3 sets of 15 and then sometimes add a set of 6 of a heavier weight, when I'm weight training. I put some links for different videos to show you some of the ones I do. Max might want to watch these. there are some pretty hot girls

You could also add in one arm rows, here's a video, I do these with a 15 pound free weight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3zfFc1UfHo

Also millitary press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUpokhqTKY You can do them sitting or standing

Squats

Arm raises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDFi0DhYHw I do these with hand weights

and for my abs I do plank and bicycles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2iRusnnc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqzrb67Dwf8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKXFarXbys
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Kerri, what about free weights - and you would probably only need to buy 8, 10, 15, 20 lbs, and that would do your whole body. If you go to Chapters (or look online) you can pick up a great book (lots of inexpensive options) on working out with free weights, and many come with a comprehensive journal inside.

My friend who is a personal trainer told me I should be doing free weights now, as I've been using the machines at the gym (Good Life) for a while.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't put a link on for a squat, I figured you knew how to do those. You can also do these using hand weights, or with a big dumpbell across your shoulders, but I recommend you have some one show you correct form, before trying this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvJ14cwwKU
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    You could try resistance bands to. You can usually pick some up at your local sports store for 10 or 15 bucks and some will come with a 30min dvd. Great for strength and toning. :flowerforyou:
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Incorporate interval training into your strength sessions and your running. Throw in some plyometrics inbetween your weight sets, like jumping jacks, jumping rope or do step ups on a bench that is at least 24 inches. Great for the legs and really gets the heart rate up! Try King Squats for your legs (one leg elevated behind you on a bench and squat with the front leg)
    Also do 60-90 seconds of speed work when you are running, followed by 30-60 sec of regular pace running. This will really ramp up your metabolism!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Step ups and jumping rope are awesome ideas, I hadvn't thought of those. I will try some squats too. A lot of you have great ideas, but if they include buying equipement, it just doesn't work for me. It's a 2 hour ride to the nearest store where we are... and even there they don't have exercise equipement. I know, it really sucks, but until JUNE we are stuck with it. lol. I do have access to all kinds of sports equipement at the school though (fiance teaches phys ed) so I can use jump ropes, and they also have a couple of those big exercise balls. hmmmmmm not much else I could really use I don't think. Thanks for helping me brainstorm :flowerforyou:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I have a question... are bands equivalent to weights?
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Supposed to be better for women anyway, in that it's resistance as you pull up and down. You can adjust the level of resistance by band thickness and with shortening and lengthening it. Anything though is gonna be great, I use both. Pick up some fitness mags, they have great articles, education and exercises-different types. You need to vary your exercise every 4-6 weeks. It confuses your muscles to allow more change.:wink:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    There's a strength training book that I love that is just for women called "Sculpting Her Body Perfect" by Brad Schoenfeld. It is full of strength training exercises and details on how to do them, along with photos. Many of the exercises show a variation that you can do at home.

You can make your own "dumbbells" by filling empty milk jugs with sand or gravel.

You can be really creative in making a barbell at home by using an old broom stick and firmly attaching some heavy objects to the ends, like socks full of gravel or rice... A barbell is great for the military press, nosebreakers (a triceps exercise), 21's (a biceps exercise), upright rows (a shoulder exercise) and dead lifting. Get creative and find things at home to use!

You can order resistance bands to be delivered to your house or post office box from some online sporting goods stores or Amazon. You'll be able to do a lot more upper body sculpting if you have these at your disposal. They don't weigh much and don't take up a lot of space, so it won't cost much for shipping.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You can also buy them at Walmart, Superstore, etc.