weight loss progress slow? fitness progress going good?

Options
So... I've been seriously working out for about 3 weeks. I always work out at least 4 days a week, sometimes more. I try to run at least 2-3 miles or do the elliptical for 40 minutes. On my off days I do yoga...

I haven't lost barely any weight! I know it says I've lost 3 pounds but that keeps going back up! I'm wondering if it's because I only have about 15 pounds I want to lose or what? Do you think I could be gaining muscle and that's why?

I'm always under my calorie goal except I know there have been a few days where I have been over. But, I never go over the 500 deficit.

It's frustrating that I don't see the number on the scale going down! I definitely have seen an improvement in my fitness. I can run 3 miles no problem in pretty decent time... something I had trouble doing before. I am more flexible and I feel great. My jeans fit a lot looser too... but... how long is it going to take before I see numbers on a scale?

Thanks

Replies

• miniford
    Options
    I had this problem too! I went for three weeks working out 6 times a week and eating well and when I finally weighed myself I had GAINED four pounds and it was such a bummer. I only want to lose about 15 pounds, so I feel ya. :/
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can run 3 miles no problem in pretty decent time... I am more flexible and I feel great. My jeans fit a lot looser too...
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I meant to say to the above: that's what it's all about. Hang in there and the scale WILL move, and it will mean that much more because you are changing your body composition. This is life in the lower numbers; embrace it, as you are lucky to not have that much to lose. And when it does come off, at a half a pound a week, that pace is a GOOD thing.

Believe!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'd say stop weighing yourself and start measuring other ways

-distance you can run
    -measurements of your waist, thighs, arms etc

The fact that you can run longer without getting tired means that your heart has gotten stronger. That is the only muscle that really matters =]

To keep yourself motivated maybe keep a journal (or a text document) of one thing every day that you see that has improved since you started working out. It could be that you don't crave unhealthy foods anymore, you are more refreshed in the morning, you fall asleep easier at night, that adrenaline high you get when you're done working out, you can stretch enough to touch the ground with your hands (or flat palms if you're super awesome). There are many many benefits of exercise that are not all losing numbers on the scale.

Right now your body is building muscle, which means that your metabolism is increasing, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting on the couch. Eventually you will start to lose weight, but until then, don't sweat it
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If your jeans are looser and your fitness has improved.. screw the scales!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    the scale isn't a good indicator - the numbers on a scale have a lot to do with body composition, height, etc...

what is a better indicator is measuring key points of your body - if you are working out and eating right you may loose very little weight but see a big difference in your body composition. I like using a pair of too small pants...try them on every week - you may find they fit great after three weeks - but the scale only shows a loss of a few lbs...

with women it is hard to actually gain a lot of muscle as muscle production needs testosterone - something women don't have a lot of...but with diet and exercise you can burn fat - if you loose a lb of fat -it is only a lb - but a lb of fat takes up a lot larger volume than muscle...this is why say two people can weigh the same amount but one can fit in say a size 8 and the other wears a size 12 -
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what the scale says too much. It's really a poor measure of progress. If your jeans are more loose and you notice a better fitness level, that is way more important. You are definitely gaining muscle. Of course I say this and at the same time I am totally frustrated with the scale right now. Hypocritical, I know. :smile: My husband trains for triathlons and century bike races and while training he always gains before he loses.
  • _blackbird
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to stay positive... I think I'm just going to forget the scale for a few weeks and then try and weigh myself again :]