How do I count calories when eating out?

Options
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm going out for dinner for my sister's birthday on Friday and I want to track my dinner but I'm not sure how to count the calories in the meal. I've looked at the menu on the website and I was thinking of having a gourmet pizza or savoury crepes because they seem like the healthiest options.

Any and all help would be much appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• miss_p90x
    miss_p90x Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories are in the MFP database for majority of the main chain restaurants.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You definitely did the right thing. Checking ahead of time is great, a failure to plan is a plan for failure. Eat light through out the day and maybe get in a good work out if you dont feel you can stay within your calories. If you go over a bit, don't sweat it - we all deserve a bit of a cheat every once in a while and its a special occasion :)
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Just like you, I try to check out the menu online first. Sounds like you have a great plan.

Enjoy your dinner with family and friends!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If it's not a chain restaurant you'll probably have to estimate the calories. If you pick a relatively "simple" food you ought to be able to identify the likely individual components, estimate the amounts, and give your best guess. Keep in mind that most restaurant portions are much more than what a "normal" portion would be, so eating only half, a quarter, etc., of what you get might be a good goal. Do your best to not eat bread/oil, etc., or appetizers.

If I know I'm going to eat out and it's a reason for which I want t splurge a bit (not just that my husband feels like going out to eat), I eat more lightly during the day and exercise before or after (if there's time) to give myself some extra calories.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Check the restaurant's website to see if they offer nutrition information on their menu items. If not, check the MFP database and see if something similar is there.

I agree with the pre-planning. That is awesome! I have a smart phone and often search info while at the restaurant or on the way if I am not driving!

Enjoy your meal out! And whatever you choose... do not feel guilty. ENJOY your food and make those healthy choices that embody your new lifestyle. If you go outside the box, get back on track the next day! :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track by researching and making informed decisions. There's nothing worse than assuming...only to find out when you get home that what you've just eaten is 2x more than what you thought.
  • timinaus
    Options
    Enjoy the meal, and just estimate the calories. If its a healthy pizza with veggies on top, then most the calories will be any cheese and the crust. Go for tomato based sauce, as the creamy and pesto types are heavy. Then just check at the grocery for a figure on a handful or two of cheese and just check a pre made pizza crust the same size for an estimate on the calories for that.

Then divide by 7 and walk it off on top of any exercise you normally do. :happy:
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did check the MFP database but they only had the nutritional info on the pancakes, not the mains. My appetite isn't what it used to be so when I go out I usually don't eat heaps and heaps. My other sister never ever finishes a meal so maybe we can go halves in something. Thanks so much for the ideas:smile:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If it's not a chain, you have to guestimate a bit and add some salt and oil for good measure. However, it's just one meal - just find stuff in the database that is close and move on with your life.
  • p_funk
    p_funk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You also may be able to ask them if the provide the nutritional value of the dishes. Some places have the info, but it is not on the menu, you just have to ask them for it.