Extremely disappointed in myself

Options
Well, I moved back home in May so I could lose weight.

I started off kinda on a slow start with my diet and exercise routine, but I didn't know nearly as much as I do now. I weighed myself at a local gym and I was 387. That was in July.

Since then I have kicked up my exercise routine a big notch, started eating healthier, and getting regular sleep.

I weighed myself yesterday.

I weighed 390 according to the scale.

I was furious, and I don't get it. I have went from a 4x shirt to a 3x. 50 size pants to 46. I'm on the 3rd week of couch to 5k and can endure it easily.

I will admit, i would cheat every other day. Nothing extreme, but something that wasn't in my diet and it usually didn't go over my calorie goal. I realized one night I was eating like 500 extra calories and didn't even realize it.

Would this really cripple my weight loss like that? Just 500 calories extra at night?

I don't know what I need help with, but I just really needed to tell someone, or something, because it's pissing me off more and more. Any suggestions and help is extremely welcome.

Replies

• crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Scales are not our friends!!! I feel pretty much the same way as you do. I've been working so hard...yeah, I cheat, but not that much...and the scales have not moved in over five weeks...but I have lost inches.

So, I think you should just go by how the clothes are feeling and keep on working and trying to do even better. Surely the pounds have GOT to start coming off for us sometime!!!

We can't let those numbers get us down!! (Boy, do I need to hear that!)

Keep at it and don't give up and forget the scales!!!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Well, I moved back home in May so I could lose weight.

I started off kinda on a slow start with my diet and exercise routine, but I didn't know nearly as much as I do now. I weighed myself at a local gym and I was 387. That was in July.

Since then I have kicked up my exercise routine a big notch, started eating healthier, and getting regular sleep.

I weighed myself yesterday.

I weighed 390 according to the scale.

I was furious, and I don't get it. I have went from a 4x shirt to a 3x. 50 size pants to 46. I'm on the 3rd week of couch to 5k and can endure it easily.

I will admit, i would cheat every other day. Nothing extreme, but something that wasn't in my diet and it usually didn't go over my calorie goal. I realized one night I was eating like 500 extra calories and didn't even realize it.

Would this really cripple my weight loss like that? Just 500 calories extra at night?

I don't know what I need help with, but I just really needed to tell someone, or something, because it's pissing me off more and more. Any suggestions and help is extremely welcome.

Why would you cheat? It's pointless & doesn't help your goal.

500 calories a night, over a week, is a pound in a week. Every other night figure 2 weeks for a pound.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you didn't use the same scale, you won't know if you gained/lost or if the scales were calibrated differently.

It's very very easy to eat more than one realizes. Are you weighing your food (e.g., chicken), measuring (e.g., rice, juice, milk), and counting EVERYTHING you eat or drink? It's incredibly easy to mindlessly snack one's way to several hundred calories--a mini-candy bar, an extra pour of juice, a handful of nuts, etc. Grazing is very dangerous!

If you are losing sizes in clothes, then something positive is happening, so stick with it. Consider seeing a physician to be tested for other medical conditions, e.g., underactive thyroid, that could be contributing.
  • reidsurrett
    Options
    I realize that, but I give myself too much credit for burning 1000 calories that day.

I've been fat my whole life, and it's not something you just learn overnnight.

I know it's a total, I just didn't realize it was that effective.
  • cruise13
    Options
    You are also adding muscles with your work outs. Muscles weighs more then fat, so that may be why the weigh change. If you are feeling better and you clothes are loser you are definitely on the right track.
  • musicguy321
    Options
    You may also be gaining muscle. Muscle weighs way more than fat, so if you're shrinking, but the number on the scale isn't, that could be a factor.
    The 500 calories that you don't particularly need isn't helping you either. Instead of say, chips, have celery. Or instead of ice cream, have an apple. It's little things that make the difference, and FAT content is more influential than CALORIC content.
  • reidsurrett
    Options
    If you didn't use the same scale, you won't know if you gained/lost or if the scales were calibrated differently.

It's very very easy to eat more than one realizes. Are you weighing your food (e.g., chicken), measuring (e.g., rice, juice, milk), and counting EVERYTHING you eat or drink? It's incredibly easy to mindlessly snack one's way to several hundred calories--a mini-candy bar, an extra pour of juice, a handful of nuts, etc. Grazing is very dangerous!

If you are losing sizes in clothes, then something positive is happening, so stick with it. Consider seeing a physician to be tested for other medical conditions, e.g., underactive thyroid, that could be contributing.

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years now, and my parents don't seem interested in weighing and measuring. They will buy me the foods I need, but they still buy their own snacks and dinners and they offer it to me constantly. I know it's my choice to say no, but it's to some time.
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    If you're loosing sizes something good is happening. But, it also be a difference in scales, or depending on what exercises you're doing an increase in muscle. Keep doing what you're doing, but be careful with the cheating! If you are losing in sizes eventually the weight will come too.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    "Cheating" on your diet doesn't really make any difference if you are staying within your calorie goal. If you eat a piece of chocolate or ice cream or something and you are still meeting your goal/under your goal it's really no big deal.

500 calories over, 100 calories over adds up quickly. Everything over makes a difference in the long run.

But if you are losing inches, I wouldn't be worried with what the scale says. Scales lie and there are lots of different factors that can make the number on the scale be higher. You've lost inches, that's GREAT and that is progress. Focus on that. You're doing great.

Btw, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. 1 pound = 1 pound.
  • miss_p90x
    miss_p90x Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Its the muscle weight, you can tell from your pants and shirt sizes going down that you are losing inches. Muscle takes less space but weighs more or the same as fat. Just keep up the work, and pay attention to the nutrition combined with cardio you will get to your goals.
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    If you're exercising, eating healthier, and your clothing sizes are going down, then you're doing something right. Keep up the good work, and don't stress too much about the scale. It WILL move eventually.
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    your doing really well keep at it
  • geekymom57
    Options
    I've been unemployed for almost 2 years now, and my parents don't seem interested in weighing and measuring. They will buy me the foods I need, but they still buy their own snacks and dinners and they offer it to me constantly. I know it's my choice to say no, but it's to some time.
    You ned to weight, measure, etc., yourself--they won't portion it out for you. And even if they did, it wouldn't be the same learning experience for you, because this needs to become a life long change.

My husband is used to me taking the food scale to the dinner table, using a half-cup measure as the serving spoon/ladle, and logging my food immediately after I eat. It is the only way I keep myself accountable. I have a set of measuring cups at work, so if I take a serving of trail mix I know how much it is. It's a bit of a joke with one co-worker (she calls me the "Portion Queen") but it's what I need to do.

If you are really serious about this and learning the skills you need to resist the temptations that others put in front of you, , perhaps there is a support group such as Overeaters Anonymous in your area, or one that's available on-line. I have been overweight most of life, starting esp. around age 12, and it is very hard to unlearn decades of bad habits. But I know that this is all my decision and I am the only one who can control what I put in my mouth. It's not easy, and it's boring and frustrating, and tedious, but it's still my choice to stick with it or not.
  • fvincentelli
    fvincentelli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Life is not perfect, and one imperfect day should not make you give up. If you find yourself eating more one day, then enjoy it and work out a bit harder the next day. One thing I do a lot now, before I eat anything, is wonder how long it will take me to work it off on a treadmill or elliptical... A bagel with cream cheese looks a lot less appetizing when you realize it'll take you 40 minutes to burn it off...

At the end of the day, it's about calories, so make sure you are honest with yourself and track _everything_ you consume. Taking responsibility for your calorie intake is the first step on your way to losing weight.
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale. SO many things can effect the scale. The way your clothes fit is much more important. I'd much rather be a smaller pant size than a smaller # on the scale!
  • reidsurrett
    Options
    Life is not perfect, and one imperfect day should not make you give up. If you find yourself eating more one day, then enjoy it and work out a bit harder the next day.

Trust me, it's gonna take a lot more than that for me to give up.
  • geekymom57
    Options
    One thing I do a lot now, before I eat anything, is wonder how long it will take me to work it off on a treadmill or elliptical... A bagel with cream cheese looks a lot less appetizing when you realize it'll take you 40 minutes to burn it off...
    Absolutely! This can be a very effective tool. It's like thinking of your daily calorie goal as a debit card and everything you eat comes off it. YOu can exercise to put some back on it, but need to be honest about how much you are really putting back on so you don't over-draw your account.

I can't tell you how many times I"ve reached for something--sometimes even started to put it in my mouth--and then thought "Do I really want to spend a half hour on the elliptical to earn this cookie?" Or if I eat this, I can't eat that--which do I want more?

Finding what motivates you is a very personal thing, and some day the right motivator might just jump right out at you.
  • reidsurrett
    Options
    I want to say thanks to everyone who posted on this. I will keep everything in mind as I'm going through my day. Add me as a friend if you feel like it. I only have 1 on here. So yea, thanks again. More comments and suggestions are welcome too.
  • geekymom57
    Options
    To the OP--been wondering how the past few days have been and if you've tried any of suggestions people threw your way or if you're finding something else what's helping feel more hopeful about the benefits of sticking with it for the long haul.
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    Stop lying to him...muscle does NOT weigh more than fat, a pound is a pound. And don't beat yourself up, if you are losing inches then somethings working!