Any tips to get past the plateau?

Options
Hi, I'm Sabrina, new to the message boards. I have lost 24 pounds, but have been stuck at the same weight for months. I have recently decided to give the 17 day diet a try and am starting tomorrow, but I would love any suggestions or advice! Thank you!

Replies

• MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I wrote a thread on it, read through it and there is lots and lots suggestions/information, these are the things that worked for people on here that are also suggested online!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390579-ways-to-avoid-break-plateaus
  • wongwl
    wongwl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Sabrina,

24 pound is close to 10.5kg. That's a lot of weight lost.

I think at this point you will need to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1) Do you really need to lose any more weight,

2) What is your body type (entomorph/endomorph/mesomorph)

3) Is your diet too clean?

While it's good to be disciplined, I have learnt from experience that this can backfire once your have reached your target
    weight as you can easily slip back into your old eating habits. As such, I still continue eating the same food that makes me
    happy but find a way to work around them and still lose weight. Another reason may be you might also be eating too clean
    and your body might be in starvation mode already. Hence, locking up the ability for you to lose anymore weight.

Losing weight is awesome, but losing your morale is not.

Like you, I have also just lost 10kg and was in a similar situation for a while.
    What I did was to rotate my workout. Change the rhythm every 3 weeks.
    I do more weights now than cardio. I still did a lot of weights when I first started, mid-heavy weights at that.
    Light weights don't help much and frankly, it's rather pointless.

I used to do more cardio and at more even pace to burn the calories,
    but now instead of long jogs of 40mins. I do a 20min interval run session
    which is so much more exhaustive but effective and then follow it up by
    weight/strength training. My best tip to you is not to rest more 20 secs after each weight station.
    Do a quick stretch and carry on. Do not wait for people to be done, or wait for machines.
    Just find any vacant station and do your workout because you need to keep the momentum going.

After few 2-3 station, go for a quick water break and continue.
    Try to hit the gym 3 times a week at least if you can and an hour each time.
    This would really be sufficient if you are disciplined and don't slack off at any time
    in between your work outs. For extra research, find out which body type your
    body profile fits in and google training styles/methods.
  • beanrito
    beanrito Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, great info!! Thanks for posting!
  • Mastadonous58
    Options
    Yes, Get a garbage bag and cut out a head and arm holes then put on sweat shirt on and then the bag plus a regular shirt and take off some water weight this forces the body to release fat .... this is extreme but it works
  • wongwl
    wongwl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I hope it helped with your workout :)
    Remember to keep your spirits up, it's really important in order for you to continue this long term. Cheers!