Aches......

Options
Im mostly a newbie (two weeks) and in the past although iv dieted iv never really excercised tbh, but i know why you should so this time around im doing it the proper way and seeing results already :happy: but.... yesterday i knew i had done too much and i needed a rest day, so i took one. This morning i feel worse! Not only do i ache i also feel really stiff.
What can i do to help this?
Monday to friday i have to walk around 3 miles per day, so i will be doing that today and i was thinking of some yoga. But any other advice will be welcome because last thing i want to do is fall off the wagon :flowerforyou:

Replies

• snowpony
    snowpony Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just do a bit of stretching and you will feel your muscles feel better. Take it easy as well!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Light walking and mild yoga will help the stiffness and achiness.

Just make sure you are not pushing yourself too hard too fast. Exercise can be really fun :). But not if it feels so bad.
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Never felt bad at the time, i dont drive so i walk everywhere, so all iv done there is up the tempo a little bit and if i can, walk a bit further. Iv got a couple of fitness dvd's so if i wanted too i stuck them on, yoga as well. Oh and iv gone in for a few challenges on here, but they was realistic goals i can acheive more mental effort than what my body can do. Iv also listened too my body if it hurts i stop and if iv done too much i stop. Although i possibly have done too much, i do not feel as terrible as i have before after say one session of aerobics lmao just a bit stiff and achey, and seeing as im a novice just wondered if there was anything i can do :happy:
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The tendons in my ankles tend to hate me after some of the more strenuous workouts in my self inflicted torture sessions (lol)... and I've found that alleve works wonders. Not sure if it's available outside of Canada... but it's a muscle relaxant...

However, main thing is to ensure you are warming up before your exercise session and cooling down/stretching afterwards properly.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Warm up and cool down properly. It is really important ot stretch because you need to disperse lactic acid which builds up. You will probably find that gentle exercise relieves things but stretch after. The second day always seems to be worse and that is normal. It will just take your body a short time to adjust but stick at it.
  • daimoslain
    Options
    Usually a hot bath sometimes work . I can't drive due to medical condition, I walk almost everywhere then catch a train since my work is 3 stops away. 20mins both ways, then on my feet through the day.

would say I'm seeing result doing it for 4 days, got my partner to help although he's strict cause he wants me to succeed :p.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree with Snowpony and FB205, you can't beat (before and after) stretching to ease those achy muscles. Also, try to make sure you have enough water in your diet!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to just push through it because 2nd and 3rd day aches are always worse than the 1st. You tend to get more results that way too, but never overwork yourself. A little soreness is one thing but a pulled or torn muscle is quite another!