Sugar rant

Options
I know that there are a lot of these on here, and I know sugar is bad in large amounts, but I seem to be right at or under my allowed sugar intake just from regular foods alone. That in itself is a good thing, but what do I do if I want to have an occasional treat? I try to treat myself at least once or twice a week to something sweet, in moderation and always within my calorie intake, but I have no clue how to do that without going over my sugar. Not to mention that it doesn't help that even things that are supposed to be healthy for you like yogurt usually has about 26-30g of sugar in just 1 serving. On top of that, if you want to have a sweet treat, say a candy bar or some ice cream, you can usually get your whole day's worth of sugar right there. Then you have to spend the whole day trying to find foods with no sugar just to get the rest of your calories in.
This is hard enough, but I'm trying to gain weight in a healthy manner, so each time I go to the store and pick up anything with the words "no sugar added" or "sugar free" My mother-in-law takes it from me, says "You don't need sugar-free" and proceeds to buy me the most sugar-packed yogurt concoction that she can find.
Basically the bottom line or question is: Is it okay to go over on my sugars when I have my occasional treat as long as I'm in my calories (or if I'm at a birthday party/special occasion/holiday), and if not, what are some healthier options for me to enjoy my treats worry/guilt free. Thank you.

Replies

• EBurnham
    Options
    I know that there are a lot of these on here, and I know sugar is bad in large amounts, but I seem to be right at or under my allowed sugar intake just from regular foods alone. That in itself is a good thing, but what do I do if I want to have an occasional treat? I try to treat myself at least once or twice a week to something sweet, in moderation and always within my calorie intake, but I have no clue how to do that without going over my sugar. Not to mention that it doesn't help that even things that are supposed to be healthy for you like yogurt usually has about 26-30g of sugar in just 1 serving. On top of that, if you want to have a sweet treat, say a candy bar or some ice cream, you can usually get your whole day's worth of sugar right there. Then you have to spend the whole day trying to find foods with no sugar just to get the rest of your calories in.
    This is hard enough, but I'm trying to gain weight in a healthy manner, so each time I go to the store and pick up anything with the words "no sugar added" or "sugar free" My mother-in-law takes it from me, says "You don't need sugar-free" and proceeds to buy me the most sugar-packed yogurt concoction that she can find.
    Basically the bottom line or question is: Is it okay to go over on my sugars when I have my occasional treat as long as I'm in my calories (or if I'm at a birthday party/special occasion/holiday), and if not, what are some healthier options for me to enjoy my treats worry/guilt free. Thank you.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    While watching how much sugar you take in on a daily basis, once in awhile you just have to have a little (if you're not the type to completely reject it, as some of us are).

Yes it's okay to have a sweet treat. Sometimes, you're just going to be OVER. Indulge a little if you have that kind of self-control. If it really matters, stick to natural sugars like the ones found in fruit.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I don't really monitor my sugar intake TOO closely... I read somewhere that up to 40g a day is acceptable so I go by that, I'm usually uder. I gotta say, you need a new kind of yogurt. That seems like TOO MUCH sugar for one serving of yogurt. I eat Danone Silhouette yogurt, it has 5g of sugar per serving... I dunno maybe mine is further sweetened with chemicals? :huh:
  • EBurnham
    Options
    *phew* Thank you for the responses. I was so afraid that I was going to get a response that resembled a "You can't have sugar or else you will burn in fiery pits for eternity!" -type of speech.
  • TrainerAndrew
    Options
    Hey there,

I noticed the comment about the sugar content in yogurt. Standard brands are usually higher in sugar. Unfortunately that is what sells them to the general public. Not good! At least as far as the public is concerned. I suggest trying out Greek style yogurt. It is usually significantly lower in sugar. To sweeten it I usually add some stevia or you can try a sugar subsitute like equal (???) or just add some lower sugar fruit such as blackberries, blueberries, cantelope, etc......

Good luck with the jouney,

Andrew
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I agree. My favorite snack is low-fat Greek yogurt, plain, with blueberries. 8g sugar, 130cal in the yogurt. But we all need REAL sugar every once in a while! Don't worry about it.:flowerforyou: