James Krieger on obesity

Options
2»

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Put differently, you might spend 5-10 calories per minute of exercise. How many calories do you think you can shovel down your pie hole in a minute while eating?

A friggin buttload.
    Media always likes to look at things in isolation.

I liked your reply but I specifically think the above is a key item. It seems like a lot of bad habits are created from the above quote, whereas if people would look at the bigger picture, they'd save a lot of headaches and probably streamline things, so to speak.

James Krieger's sine-wave graph on insulin sort of serves as an example of this in a way-- looking at a snapshot you might think "I better control insulin" but looking at the big picture shows you otherwise. There's probably a whole slew of other behaviors or theories that people adapt, that get negated (or just become unimportant) when you factor in the big picture.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. Very wise words.

Soundbite science is what I call it. The media thrives on it. And consumers latch onto it for dear life as they're looking for The Answer. At the end of the day though, I don't really care what people try or believe. If they want to try leap-of-faith diets, so be it. What I wish people would do more often is objectively critique their experiences with these gimmicks.

Fail or succeed, people need to start being honest with themselves. It's funny... almost as if when they decide to try a product or program, they fully marry themselves to it. They invest every ounce of belief they have into it. This needn't be about belief though. It needs to be about common sense and critical thinking. It needs to be about objectivity and respect for individualization.

I suppose it's the desperation for success that drives the irrationalness. Nonetheless, objectivity goes out the window, and even when it's beyond obvious that the product is bogus or that it's simply not a fit for the individual, they force it. They've invested too much emotion into it. They've sounded off about how great it is to too many people before actually trying it entirely. They even blame themselves or their bodies before blaming the product or concept.

Like priests or football coaches who divorce themselves from moral obligations in favor of maintaining the sanctity of their given 'gods,' these folks will go down with their burning ships before ever considering trying something different.

Trends come and go in this industry. And from my vantage point, it's really unbelievable. The obesity rates continue to rise, but with each passing trend that comes in like waves slamming the beach, a new flock of disciples are born that will fervently defend their respective dietary/fitness beliefs. There's always an Answer. Never mind the fact that it changes all the time based on how marketers are using it to fatten their wallets.

This isn't religion people.

It's your body.

And your body - from it's physiology to it's psychology - is unique. The only Answer is the one that matches your individual set of variables.

Leave the hype for the gullible and the get-rich-quick scammers.

Be a skeptic. Treat these things like a good scientist would - work to disprove your given hypothesis regarding whatever concept you're looking at. If nothing else, I think you'll save a lot more money. I think you'll also have a lot more success - or at least a lot less frustration.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Great post.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Up you go!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Bumpity bump
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, in particular, the insulin articles.

Thanks
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Yea, those insulin articles were great. They should be stickied on this forum, haha.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Yea, those insulin articles were great. They should be stickied on this forum, haha.

Indeed. For those that are unaware:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    He had a great piece on fructose too:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=984
  • stroutman81