Females- Do you do this?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
I listen to talk radio a lot when I drive and while scanning a station I happened on a conversation of nutritionist as a guest host on the show. Here's the statement that caught my attention.

"Women will do almost everything right when it comes to keeping their family safe, ensuring their family's health, and listening to doctor's advice on their own health, BUT completely IGNORE the dangers of any FAD DIET as long as they lose 5, 10, 20lbs in a short period of time."

So was she right or wrong?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Obviously anything that says that all women do a certain thing is going to be false. Do most women do this? I don't know. I doubt it's based on anything but her own experiences. Personally I've never done a fad diet.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    I've seen a lot of girls, never guys, doing fasts on here. I personally, stay away from them. I like to do it the healthy way :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    No I don't do this.. but I have friends that do.

I have one friend that went on a diet that was something like she could only eat sirloin or high grades of beed, certain vegetables and fruits, certain grains and no alcohol. If I remember correctly there were different rounds to this diet, and she was on it for quite a bit. Not even sure how much weight she lost but I want to say it was 20 or 30 pounds in like 3 or 4 months.. and if she kept it off or not I don't know.

I personally feel fad diets are stupid... and if you can't commit to a healthier life style, then you should hold off trying to lose weight till you can. I knew in college that I couldn't lose weight because of my lifestyle.. and I wasn't ready to change. Now that I'm out of college though, it's a totally different story.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I don't think the women on here are as likely to have done that as a more general collection of women.

But, no, I've never done a dangerous fad diet, although I did some dumb stuff when I was a teenager, nothing since I've been an adult. I did try South Beach for a while but that was recommended by a doctor and I wouldn't qualify it as "dangerous".
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I've seen a lot of girls, never guys, doing fasts on here. I personally, stay away from them. I like to do it the healthy way :)

Fasting is not always unhealthy, and I've actually seen more males fasting than females here.

To OP, I think that statement is way too generalized but it's probably true for many women. Most women? I don't know. All women? Def not.
  • I've never gone on a diet.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    I think it's just that women are more likely to believe in Fad diets; but all of us on here know that they are useless.
  • i have to put my hand up :blushing: and admit i went on celebrity slim for couple of months to shift weight fast as holiday was coming up.

would never do it again though as i now know i'm stronger than i thought i was and can just eat sensible amounts and still loose it without worrying about carbs etc
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member

Guys do it to, they are just more secretive about it.

Although I know quite a few guys into steroids but I don't know personally any women who use them unless its used to treat a condition. I know there are women who use them but I think it would be safe to say more men than women use Steroids. I know they don't help you lose weight but as for "unsafe practices" its more of what some males would do.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Unforunately, I think the host was right. Of course, it's not ALL women. Most of the girls here and the ladies that have replied to this thread have their heads on straight. But a lot of my friends, family members, and coworkers have made me scratch my head. If you're going to go on some juice fast or liquid diet and promise to "eat healthy afterwards" to keep the weight off,why not just start now and get used to those healthy changes? If you're planning on keeping the weight off for life, then who cares if it takes a couple extra months to lose the pounds? It's really puzzling to me.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Yep it's true Women in general are weight obcessed especially here in the states. I see so many women that are skinny but still constantly dieting .. even when we loose wieght we are not satisfied..we are still trying for that next 10lbs. We are sent the message early in life as little girls that thin =equals beautiful by family, friends, tv, movies, magazines even toys tell us if we want to be accepted and liked we must be that perfect size 2 - Barbie anyone? etc /..it's everywhere .. We have gotten the idea that we must do anything to achieve the perfect body , so we do.. That was me for a long time.. but not anymore.I want to loose weight but my goal is no longer a 5 but whatever size I feel fit and healthy at.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    For the person who mentioned fasting ... that is not a fad diet, nor is it dangerous unless you have certain medical conditions like diabetes or hypoglycemia. There are many people, male and female, on this site who fast as part of their diet and fitness routine. I am one of them (twice a week for 24 hours). Starving yourself is not the same thing as fasting.

As for the crazy "drink this really ridiculous concoction for 7 days and lose 20 lbs" nonsense, yeah, there are a lot of women who will do (or attempt to do) stuff like that because they are looking for a quick fix. I think most of them understand that they can't use methods like that over a long period of time, but those people generally don't intend to diet for a long period of time. I find that they typically believe they can lose weight by systematically starving themselves and then go right back to eating the way they always did, as though crap food only makes you fat if you're already fat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I listen to talk radio a lot when I drive and while scanning a station I happened on a conversation of nutritionist as a guest host on the show. Here's the statement that caught my attention.

"Women will do almost everything right when it comes to keeping their family safe, ensuring their family's health, and listening to doctor's advice on their own health, BUT completely IGNORE the dangers of any FAD DIET as long as they lose 5, 10, 20lbs in a short period of time."

IDEA Fitness member

For me: no, I don't really fad diet, but I've tried twice. I've never stuck to a fad diet or weightloss program, I'd get a week into it and realize the rediculousness of it. For example I bought hydroxicut, used it for a week as recommended, read the label part where it said "in conjunction with a diet and exercise program" and thought, "well duh, anything will work in conjuction with eating correctly and exercising" and used it as a paper wieght in my kitchen until I bought a giant bottle of advil to take it's place. Adkins, did it for 6 weeks before I got married, realized I was eating about 900 calories a day trying to eat just fats and proteins and stopped. I've been ana, never want to go back there again. When I had my son 2 years ago I realized that even more than "getting my weight under control" I had other priorities. First it was lactation, after he weaned it became trying to teach him a healthy relationship with food, exercise, and his body. I now live by example and not by desperation.

Women in general: I think they're simply more likely to talk about it, complain about it, and admit to it than men, but men are just as likely to actually do it. Women are just more likely to be vocal about it. I think that these fads, pills, etc are promoting a quick and easy way out in a world where most things come quick and easy (shopping, food, blah blah blah), they also give the user a scape goat when their "plan" doesn't work out, which of course is also very appealing.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    No I don't do this.. but I have friends that do.

I have one friend that went on a diet that was something like she could only eat sirloin or high grades of beed, certain vegetables and fruits, certain grains and no alcohol. If I remember correctly there were different rounds to this diet, and she was on it for quite a bit. Not even sure how much weight she lost but I want to say it was 20 or 30 pounds in like 3 or 4 months.. and if she kept it off or not I don't know.

I personally feel fad diets are stupid... and if you can't commit to a healthier life style, then you should hold off trying to lose weight till you can. I knew in college that I couldn't lose weight because of my lifestyle.. and I wasn't ready to change. Now that I'm out of college though, it's a totally different story.

Was it the South Beach diet? I did that, still kind of am doing it actually, but once you get out of the first phase it's pretty easy. It is pretty much just teaching your body to eat right. You start out by only eating meats and veggies and then 2 weeks later gradually add in fruits and grains. I don't follow their guide, day by day but I know what foods to avoid, and I avoid them. The first time I did this, I just did phase one for 3 weeks, and lost 20lbs, right after having my son. I kept it up easily. Then last month I started again, and I've lost 16lbs total since I have started it. (3lbs since being on this site), so now I just kind of follow that guideline, I don't really have to even think about it much anymore, and log my food and exercise in here, so that I'm not over eating. This system seems to work for me.
    As for fad diets, I've tried them..*most* everyone has at one point. The most ridiculous one I did was the 3 day diet, where you eat hardly anything and what you do eat isn't even good for you (ex:a hotdog), but sure enough..I lost 5lbs and then 2 days later, I gained it back..lol.
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member

IDEA Fitness member
    Yes, i think ppl are evading the question, yes, this is a women in general, i think this statement says alot about who and how much we women will handle ours when need be or just period."Women will do almost everything right when it comes to keeping their family safe, ensuring their family's health, and listening to doctor's advice on their own health'< this is a women, a mother, a care taker, whatever you want to call her. BUT completely IGNORE the dangers of any FAD DIET as long as they lose 5, 10, 20lbs in a short period of time."<This may not be alot of us, but trying to get that extra weight off or,I dont know,quick fix? We will, or anybody else who wants this will do. But my opinion,..lol..WE ARE THE SUPER HEREOS OF THE HOUSEHOLD!..HANDS DOWN!!!!:drinker: :bigsmile: :tongue: :wink:
  • tiffanepiphany
    tiffanepiphany Posts: 58 Member
    Disagree. Many women have probably tried a fad diet at some point, but I don't like the generalization that ALL women ignore the dangers.
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    I don't get why this is labeled as a woman thing, as if men aren't desparate to lose weigh as well sometimes. I've always hated things like this that assume things about everyone based on what some people do... it's like saying the average person eats 11.7 lbs of baby bunnies a day so you probably had one for breakfast.

Edit to add: I never even thought about fad diets and went straight to "eat 500 calories less, healthier food, and exercise".
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 628 Member
    I've done fad diets in the pass and loss up to 20-25lbs; but obviously I didn't keep it off... Which is why I'm on here now.. I want to lose weight the healthy and right way... I will admit that at times I do get discouraged and want to go back to my old ways, but I push forward with trying to do it the right way....
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Pretty accurate Id say. I cant even tell you how many fad diets, pills and gadgets Ive tried over the years. I KNEW they were too good to be true but "what if!" always got the better of me. Men do it too though.
  • "Women will do almost everything right when it comes to keeping their family safe, ensuring their family's health, and listening to doctor's advice on their own health, BUT completely IGNORE the dangers of any FAD DIET as long as they lose 5, 10, 20lbs in a short period of time."

i take her use of the word 'women' to mean "in general", and not "all".

and yes, i can see how its true --for the most part--.

maybe this is not true for the mfp community, because anyone who is here obviously has a high priority for their own health. however, in the general population, im fairly confident that you would find scads of ladies skipping meals, eating junk, smoking, popping diet pills, and not exercising. you would find lots of ladies relying on cleanses and fasts to drop weight for special events. etc, etc.

especially working ladies or moms who work outside the home, and moms who stay home. moms[in general] are notorious for having a martyr mentality [raises hand] and put themselves last on a regular basis. nutrition and exercise go by the way side so kids can get to practice, laundry gets done, etc. fad diets promise a lot and are alluring. its a temptation.