Self-Esteem and weight loss

Options
As I read many of these posts I see how weightloss does not really have to do much with true self-esteem. Part of working on feeling better doesn't only have to do with the physical aspect (our body), but it also has to do with working on how we THINK about ourselves. I have many of the same negative thoughts about myself as many of the people here, but I am working on changing those thoughts too.
Has anyone read Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy? Or have any of you worked on not only changing your body, but also your way of thinking about yourselves? Anything that has worked for you?

Replies

• gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I totally stand behind the idea that true transformation starts from within. My philosophy is that it all starts from self-love, or at least learning to love yourself and wanting the best for your body and your spirit. That's when we start shedding toxic "friends," toxic habits like eating junk food or smoking or comfort eating... Weight-Loss can help to increase your self-esteem, but you need self-esteem to start it and keep going.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I believe that the mind, body and spirit are a dynamic relationship. For example, feeling good can help you say no to a dessert helping you lose weight, while at the same time losing weight can make you feel good that you're accomplishing your goal. Although people use spirit as a last resort, praying only when in dire straits, I believe it should be more of a first step, trusting that I'll be provided for in my next meal and not feeling I should tank-up because anything could happen between now and then.
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My son has used that book, Feeling Good, The New Mood Therapy and it has helped him tremendously.
  • Yadib317
    Yadib317 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like this...shed the toxic in your life. Toxic thoughts, friends, habits! You got me thinking!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All I can say is losing weight has helped my mental state and confidence tremendously. I also think its due to the exercise program I have going on, because of the endorphins and the fact that I am pushing myself to do things I've never done before. I think it all goes hand in hand. I wish I"d done it years ago.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I totally think you need to work on the 'inner' as well as the outer. If you don't learn to love yourself for the person you are, no matter how much you weigh, it won't matter how much weight you lose. You will prob end up gaining it all back. For me, this journey has been more about healing what was broken on the inside and really learning to LOVE myself for who am I am right now. It hasn't been easy. For me, that part of this journey has been the most difficult. Losing weight is easy compared to facing your inner demons and past hurts. I'm doing it though. =)
  • Yadib317
    Yadib317 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree...losing weight is comparably easy...I know that calories in have to be less than calories out in order to lose weight, but how do I learn to love myself? I haven't come across an equation that can solve that problem for me. How have you learned to love yourself?