Weekly or Daily Calorie Intake? That one big meal...

SuzieB
SuzieB Posts: 7
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a newbie, and searched around for this but didn't find anything. I have never been on a "diet" before, just tried to stay healthy, and right now would like to lose 8 pounds. Problem is, I am a total foodie! I can definitely be disciplined and regulate what I eat and keep to the program on here for most of my week, but there will come a time (about twice a month) when I go to a nice restaurant. Tomorrow night, in fact, we're going to a really great French restaurant! What to do?

Do I lower my calorie intake over the course of the week to try and balance things out? I keep reading about how going under 1200 calories a day is bad, so I am wary of that. But mentally, I think this is what I would normally do.

Do I just exercise like crazy the day of the big meal? Even then, I will probably go over my calories.

Do I just let that one day "go" and not worry about it? Maybe by being on the diet most of the time, I will still lose my 8 pounds.

I don't think I am ready for a total lifestyle change (no eating out)...that would definitely make me unhappy. Is there a way to make this work?

Replies

• I am a newbie, and searched around for this but didn't find anything. I have never been on a "diet" before, just tried to stay healthy, and right now would like to lose 8 pounds. Problem is, I am a total foodie! I can definitely be disciplined and regulate what I eat and keep to the program on here for most of my week, but there will come a time (about twice a month) when I go to a nice restaurant. Tomorrow night, in fact, we're going to a really great French restaurant! What to do?

Do I lower my calorie intake over the course of the week to try and balance things out? I keep reading about how going under 1200 calories a day is bad, so I am wary of that. But mentally, I think this is what I would normally do.

Do I just exercise like crazy the day of the big meal? Even then, I will probably go over my calories.

Do I just let that one day "go" and not worry about it? Maybe by being on the diet most of the time, I will still lose my 8 pounds.

I don't think I am ready for a total lifestyle change (no eating out)...that would definitely make me unhappy. Is there a way to make this work?
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    I think it is important to have a "cheat" day every once in a while. Eating bad 2 meals out of the month isn't what brought any of us to this point and won't slow things down too much. Just try and keep it with in moderation, and if you add a workout that day to help compensate then great... but if not twice a month of anything isn't going to derail you as long as you get right back on track.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    I have a free day once a week, and eat what ever I want. And don't count the calories. I usually don't adjust the rest of my week for that day. However if it looks like I'm going to be under on calories the day before or the day after I don't hunt around trying to find something to fill those calories, I just go under.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    I agree with everyone else.

Eat normal during the week, enjoy yourself occasionally without over doing it, and then get back into your routine.

You'll be surprised at how your body will adjust to this and still lose the weight.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I dont have cheat days I just eat everything in moderation and account for it..in regards to carbs,calories,sugars,protein etc....I really stick to 1200-1400 per day in regards to calories and if I know there is going to be an event I just do extra excercise not so I can eat more but so I wont have the guilty feeling .and it never hurts to challenge yourself......Good luck...
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    I'm like you - I have (now) less than 10 pounds to lose. I give myself every Sunday to take a break and not count calories. Most of those Sundays I do go above my calories. So far, I've still been losing about a pound a week. Try not to go above your calories the rest of the week and get your excersice in.

BTW, I saw an interview with Bob - the trainer from Biggest Loser - and he said they even give the contestants in the house one day a week to eat what they want. He said it's a way to jump start their metabolism and help them not go crazy.
  • Just remember: What your daily goal for calories is for it LOSE weight. When you first input your info, you are shown what you normally burn/day to MAINTAIN your weight. I usually have 1 day/week that I splurge, I do keep track of my calories no matter how awful it may look. It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. If you burn 1900 calories/day normally, and you end up eating 2200, your not going to gain a pound. Don't undereat the next day, just try to burn off that extra 300 calories throughout your week.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I don't have cheat days either. If I am going out for a meal I exercise a lot and cut down on the other meals of the day. When I am out, I pick healthier choicessuch as vegetables instead of fries, salad dressing on the side and don't get fried food. I can still keep under my calories if I do that
  • Wow, thanks all. That makes me feel better! As you can tell, I don't want to give up my foodie habits, and now I see that this should work out ok. Here we go! 8 lbs and counting!

Oh, and tomorrow before the restaurant I am definitely going for my run and will probably put in a little extra cardio (and not overeat during the day). Cheese plate here I come! :happy:
  • Oh the will power of you all!! If I go out, I know I will go over my calories. It is all right there in front of me and I grab it!! However, like tonight, we're going out so I am filling myself up on fruits and veggies all day so to not be STARVING when I get there, but hopefully be full enough so I don't over-indulge.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    A cheat day won't kill you. If you can, work out that day (a little extra if you have the energy) so you can feel good about going "armed" with exta calories.

Occasionally if I have had a bad week (like cheating and going over real bad two or three days) I will try to eat less the other days, or work out more but not eat the exercise calories. This is not a routine, just occasionlly like at christmas and such.
This discussion has been closed.