Chia seeds?? Ideas??

Options
I bought chia seeds on someone's advice. Now I have no idea what to do with them...besides make a chia pet. Do you use them? If so, how? Recipe ideas?? Thanks!!

Replies

• abigailmbennett
    Options
    I put 1 - 2 tablespoons in my smoothie. Great for recovery from a hard workout!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I mix a Tbsp in with a container of greek yogurt and a half cup of original fiber one cereal.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I mix mine in Chobani yogurt. They don't dissolve as I thought they would. They look like poppy seeds mixed in the yogurt. My doctor suggested that I take them in the AM however I've found that if I put them in the yogurt in the early afternoon it gets me through the late afternoon hungry hungry horrors.

It does help keep things MOVING too. :) If you catch my drift.

Good luck!
    Stacy
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    I love Chia Seeds. I haven't cooked with them yet, but I know there are a lot of recipes for them on the internet. My favorite thing to do is to add them to flavoured water, shake them up, let them sit for in there for about 20 minutes, shake them some more, and then drink them. I love the texture. I have 2 TBS per day.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can put them in your oatmeal.
  • manifestinghappiness
    Options
    I soak a tablespoon of them in about 1/2 cup of juice. Soak for 10-15 minutes and then drink. Great way to start your day. They are also used in a lot of "raw" food treats. google chia seed gel or something along those lines, and you'll get some other ideas.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You can a seeds IN ANYTHING! I use them pretty much every day. Great in smoothies, salads, yogurt, oatmeal... You can even put them in plain old water -- but if you're going to mix them in a beverage like juice or water, you should soak them for an hour or so first -- they puff up, almost form a water pocket around them which kind of creates a gel, pretty cool, but then they don't taste as nutty when in something you're just going to drink.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I don't have chia seeds, but I do have flaxseed meal. What I have been doing is stirring it in my oatmeal or adding it to my smoothie. I think you could do the same with the chia seeds.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can do so much with them- make mock yogurts, use them as an egg replacer, etc. I jut blogged about them a couple weeks ago and have a couple recipes posted as well on my cooking blog. Feel free to check it out!

http://squarepegs.typepad.com/whats_cooking/2011/10/lets-talk-about-chichichichia.html
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I make chia seed pudding - YUMMY
  • cookingwithtrace
    Options
    I add 1 ounce of chia seeds and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to a 20 ounce bottle of water and let it sit overnight. Then I add it to brewed tea with stevia, and ice (about 56 ounces total). it makes a fun bubble tea and by soaking the seeds longer they release more of the omega 3 and 6.

i have also added them to soy protien vanilla chai (8 ounces chai and 2 tbls chia) let set in the frig overnight for a yummy tapioca pudding.
  • 007DIVA
    Options
    I love Chia seeds! I make a gel with mine by putting 1/3 a cup of seeds with 2 cups of water into a container with a good lid on it. I then shake the liquid and put it into the fridge and in 10 minutes of have chia seed gel. I find the gel keeps me fuller longer then just using the seeds. I put the gel into my oatmeal in the morning and in my greek yogurt after my workouts, I also put it into things like salsa, guacamole, smoothies ect. My friend puts a tablespoon or so of the gel and puts it in her juices and drinks it.

I hope that helps

P.S. if anyone ever tries to tell you that the white seeds are better then the black or mixed seeds, they are lying. The only real difference is that the white seeds or more expensive.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    Out of eggs or allergic to eggs - When mixed with water, chia seeds, are high in soluble fiber and form a thick gel. Place 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in a cup and add 3 tablespoons of water. Allow the mixture to sit for about 15 minutes. 1/4 cup of hydrated chia seeds equals approximately 1 egg.

I add chia seeds and flax meal to almost everything I bake. Start with a teaspoon the first time and increase it the next time. Keep track so eventually you come up with your perfect recipe for your taste buds.

I add chia seeds and flax meal to my energy bars when I make them.

I follow a gluten-free diet, so chia seeds and flax meal add fiber and nutrients.

Sprinkle chia seeds on a salad - use them like you would poppy seeds for decoration.

Be sure to store them in the freezer. They are high in oil content - omega-3's and you don't want them to spoil.
  • ChiaMom
    Options
    Hi, I add Chia seeds (ground) to my yogurt. You can get the ground at runningfood.com. It looks like pepper but has no taste. I put 2 tbsp in my morning yogurt. Sometimes in the afternoon I'll throw them in a little yogurt at work for a pick-me-up. Also, when I make a casserole I'll throw some in for thickerner too.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! Great ideas! Now, I'm off to experiment!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I bought chia seeds on someone's advice. Now I have no idea what to do with them...besides make a chia pet. Do you use them? If so, how? Recipe ideas?? Thanks!!

I put a tablespoon in my Shredded Wheat, Grape Nuts, oatmeal, or whatever I'm eating for breakfast. You can put it in casseroles, salads, smoothies, etc. I usually just put it on cereal every day along with my almond milk. Your mileage may vary. :o)
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Bump
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I link back to this website so often you would think I wrote for it, but her recipes are amazing!

You can use the chia seeds in her Vegan Overnight Oats: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/08/easy-vegan-overnight-oats/
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love Chia seeds! I make a gel with mine by putting 1/3 a cup of seeds with 2 cups of water into a container with a good lid on it. I then shake the liquid and put it into the fridge and in 10 minutes of have chia seed gel. I find the gel keeps me fuller longer then just using the seeds. I put the gel into my oatmeal in the morning and in my greek yogurt after my workouts, I also put it into things like salsa, guacamole, smoothies ect. My friend puts a tablespoon or so of the gel and puts it in her juices and drinks it.

I have also made the gel and use it to "dilute" things like salad dressings. So I would have 1T of a full fat dressing and mix it with 1T. of chia seed gel which has almost no calories for that small of an amount....and it's like getting 2T of dressing to spread on your salad. You can also use the gel as a fat replace in recipes (like applesauce can be used for oil).

Most of the time I eat my chia seeds raw/crunchy and put them on my cereal, in my oatmeal, in my yogurt or even sprinkled on toast.

My 6-year-old likes them sprinkled on top of peanut butter toast. The other way he likes them is if I put a little pile (1/2 tablespoon or so) on a plate and he dips a banana in it. I sort of like that, too. :)