Waist to Hip Ratio 5'4 132lbs

Options
I am just curious, I have seen many ladies on here who are the same height and almost the same measurements. My waist is very small...But I seem to have bigger hips...lol. Here are my measurements
Hips 34
Waist 26
Current Weight 132
Goal weight 121.

So my question is, for those who have similair height and weight what are your hip measurements? I have lost some inches but I want my love handles to be GONE already!

Replies

• B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    5'3"
    Wt-122lb
    Waist-25"
    Hips-34"
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Let's put this in perspective, my dear:

Marilyn Monroe, considered one of the most beautiful women who ever lived, had measurements of 36-23-37. That' s awful darn close to yours!

If that profile pic is really you, then you are gorgeous. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you feel like you need to lose more weight in order to be as healthy as you want, that's cool, you're the best judge of that. But I certainly wouldn't worry about those proportions! Va-va-voom!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Let's put this in perspective, my dear:

Marilyn Monroe, considered one of the most beautiful women who ever lived, had measurements of 36-23-37. That' s awful darn close to yours!

If that profile pic is really you, then you are gorgeous. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you feel like you need to lose more weight in order to be as healthy as you want, that's cool, you're the best judge of that. But I certainly wouldn't worry about those proportions! Va-va-voom!
    Considered by whom?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Your hips are meant to be wider than your waist. I think 10 inches is about the average difference. Have a look at this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/hip_to_waist/hip_to_waist.shtml
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If your hips and waist were the same size you would look like a board. Even men have a difference between hips and waist.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of your trim waist!

My stats are:
    height - 5'5"
    weight - 123
    waist - 28.5"
    hips - 36"
  • megcalvert
    megcalvert Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am not complaining at all. I am just wondering if it is average to have this size. I know they are suppose to be wider but I was wondering what other women around the same measurement as me looked like, and if they were similar. Yes, thats me in the pic, and I am only trying to live a healthier lifestyle...kinda let myself go when I got comfortable in my relationship!
  • lmkram1
    Options
    The Ideal Waist to Hip Ratio as an indicator of physical attractiveness is fascinating to me. Its roots are in evolutionary theory and there is lots of scientific research data that support the theory. The Ideal WHR for female attractiveness is .8. 40"hips x .8 = 32" waist. Modern man's earliest ancestors passed onto them an extinct that psychologists believe is in use today. Across any culture, when a male is looking to extend his gene pool, he targets a breeding mate with this ideal or close- to-ideal WHR in order to increase his odds of a successful reproductive outcome. Medical science has strong evidence to support that this is a good strategy. Even today, WHR is considered a fairly accurate bodily indicator of a woman's reproductive status & general heath. That is, is she pre-pubertal, post-pubertal, menopausal, possibly infertile, pregnant, para 1, para 2, para 3, physically able to nurse, mentally able to care for offspring) Women with Waist to hip ratios outside the range of say ~.7 to .9 have increased risks for infertility, complications in childbirth, general as well as psychological health issues. So men like curves not straight boy bodies.
  • Memswa
    Memswa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Height: 5"3
    Weight: 118 lbs
    Waist: 27 inches
    Hips: 35 inches
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    edited May 11
    Options
    lmkram1 wrote: »
    The Ideal Waist to Hip Ratio as an indicator of physical attractiveness is fascinating to me. Its roots are in evolutionary theory and there is lots of scientific research data that support the theory. The Ideal WHR for female attractiveness is .8. 40"hips x .8 = 32" waist. Modern man's earliest ancestors passed onto them an extinct that psychologists believe is in use today. Across any culture, when a male is looking to extend his gene pool, he targets a breeding mate with this ideal or close- to-ideal WHR in order to increase his odds of a successful reproductive outcome. Medical science has strong evidence to support that this is a good strategy. Even today, WHR is considered a fairly accurate bodily indicator of a woman's reproductive status & general heath. That is, is she pre-pubertal, post-pubertal, menopausal, possibly infertile, pregnant, para 1, para 2, para 3, physically able to nurse, mentally able to care for offspring) Women with Waist to hip ratios outside the range of say ~.7 to .9 have increased risks for infertility, complications in childbirth, general as well as psychological health issues. So men like curves not straight boy bodies.

This is from 2011 but it was bumped. To create a sense of balance this is what I found about men:

Research shows ideal shoulder-waist ratio is 1.6 for men.

Shoulder length = longest points between your shoulders

Waist length = shortest points near the area around your belly button. Waist length is not your hip length.

https://www.pivotimage.com/blog/2017/1/17/the-perfect-body-according-to-science?format=amp

* I don’t agree or disagree with either measurement*.

For every time women receive an attractiveness analysis of our bodies it should also apply to men.

I do find the original topic interesting though.

Personal:
    Weight: 120-125 lbs
    Bust: 34 inches
    Waist: 24.5 inches
    Hips: 34 inches
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Can we not bring this back? I really don't think it's healthy. At all. To compare waist sizes like this. The only people who comment are people with almost ideal ratios... because... well, we all know why. Personally, I got down to 80 pounds trying to get a 25 inch waist. And I never did. Even at 80 pounds. In my opinion, this should really go away. Nobody else needs to know how tiny or big someone else's waist is.

Endorsed. My waist will never be small either, and - to be crystal clear - I'm fine with that. My body proportions include a relatively small space between the lowest edge of my rib cage and the upper edge of my pelvic bones. There's gonna be no way in that short a vertical distance to horizontally pull in the amount of body tissue there. That's fine.

I'd like to see everyone, men and women alike, celebrate and even optimize the body they actually have, not go pining sadly for someone else's body. We get just one. Use it to have a good life. Hating it won't help.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You know what, that’s really valid. The thread was bumped and there’s an article critiquing women’s bodies and not men’s. I just don’t get either one. Knee jerk reaction to add the men’s. To stick with the OP, added my measurements because I actually know them for once. That’s been my main focus for the past 8 months more than the scale. The last thing I want to do is make anyone feel bad.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,157 Member
    Options
    When I was young 5'10", 140-160, 35-23-39
    Now 5'8", 175ish, 39-36-41.
    Accept both completely and totally. I always had a lot of estrogen when I was younger, after menopause and hysterectomy, pretty much zero. Sure made a lot of difference in my figure. I accept that it's another stage in my life, nothing more.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Can we not bring this back? I really don't think it's healthy. At all. To compare waist sizes like this. The only people who comment are people with almost ideal ratios... because... well, we all know why. Personally, I got down to 80 pounds trying to get a 25 inch waist. And I never did. Even at 80 pounds. In my opinion, this should really go away. Nobody else needs to know how tiny or big someone else's waist is.

100% agree also!
    For the reasons @AnnPT77 mentioned, but additionally because beauty and attractiveness is culturally reified.
    Which is a fancy way of saying tastes in what is a desirable body type are not the same from one era to another, or from one culture to another.

An eye opener for me was the book
    Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia by Sabrina Strings

It’s a scholarly book, well written and researched. The point I’m trying to make is that there is no solid evidence that one body type is “more attractive” to all people, at all times, in every culture.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    You know what, that’s really valid. The thread was bumped and there’s an article critiquing women’s bodies and not men’s. I just don’t get either one. Knee jerk reaction to add the men’s. To stick with the OP, added my measurements because I actually know them for once. That’s been my main focus for the past 8 months more than the scale. The last thing I want to do is make anyone feel bad.

No worries, I wasn't trying to call you out specifically, your posts are always well considered and I know that wasn't your intention at all. It's more for people in general who, like me, tend to hyperfixate on particular aspects of our bodies.