Personal trainers, why?

Options
Over and over again i read on here about how people will only take the advice of their personal trainer and they follow it like the gospel truth even if it means eating 1200 calories a day, burning 600 and having a net of 600.

From a bit of research it seems anyone can become a personal trainer by doing a little studying, taking an online exam and passing a written test.

So why are people so willing to take their advice and never question it?

Now i'm not saying every personal trainer out there is a sham but it seems nobody ever questions where they got their certification from or how much knowledge they actually have.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Over and over again i read on here about how people will only take the advice of their personal trainer and they follow it like the gospel truth even if it means eating 1200 calories a day, burning 600 and having a net of 600.

From a bit of research it seems anyone can become a personal trainer by doing a little studying, taking an online exam and passing a written test.

Now i'm not saying every personal trainer out there is a sham but it seems nobody ever questions where they got their certification from or how much knowledge they actually have.

I enjoyed the hell out of this post, but perhaps it's because I'm not a personal trainer? Lets see what ninerbuff says. (He's a PT I believe, and also a quality poster on these forums).

EDIT: However, I should add one thing: If someone is PAYING a trainer for information, it would make sense to take that persons advice. If I were a trainer, which I'm not, it would irritate the shyt out of me if my client was taking random internet advice because it would interfere with my process with that client.

What I find annoying is when someone posts on this site asking for advice, but only taking advice from people who have certain certifications.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer has a college degree in physical education, he's given some really useful advice so far about stretching and nutrition etc.
    I'm just doing some running so i could do without but having a trainer is very motivating. When i lose some more weight my trainer is going to work out a fitness plan for me, really looking forward to that.

Over here in Europe personal trainers aren't all that common so there's not much unprofessional people to give the profession a bad name.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options

This is true. I've dealt with many a "new" Personal Trainer and know for a fact that many of them are clueless when it even comes to designing programs or how to actually motivate a person to working out.
    Usually the most reliable ones have had a fitness background for several years, went to college and majored in kineosiology and/or nutrition and just didn't "decide" they wanted to become a personal trainer. It's the one's that just decide, "I think I want to be a personal trainer" that usually are the culprits.
    I especially am perturbed about all the "functional" training going on right now as a standard. Stability balls, unstable surfaces, etc. are the rage and I guess it makes it less a "manly" workout if you use them then plain old free weights on a bench. Eh, as long as I'm doing it right and not giving out junk info, I just gotta roll with these newbies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    What kind of trainer? If you are morbidly obese and get a standard trainer offered at the local gym, almost anything they tell you to do with your diet plus exercise is going to work better than what was being done before....nothing. But if you already know a lot and are in great shape and want to get even more muscle or cut up, a more advanced trainer with actual degrees might be in order.

From personal experience, I've done this both with a trainer and without. The benefits of having one is he usually makes me do stuff I am unaccustomed to, things that move me out of my comfort zone. Plus, it's sort of fun to have someone to check in with, record my progress, and notice when I'm trashing my form.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think it's like anything else. You have to do your research. My personal trainer is someone I know. He played in the NFL & did the tv wrestling thing. The proof is in the pudding. He's in seriously good shape himself & I've seen the results of the women he's worked out with. However, with that said, I still do my own research on things he recommends, such as supplements. But I think that's just my nature. If I'm going to do something, I have to know why. I keep going back because I'm getting results. He has provided me with invaluable education about diet & exercise. It's definitely been worth it for me, but I follow no one blindly. :)
  • IrishGuru25
    Options
    I would like to post FOR the personal trainers...I have had nothing but a great result from my experience with a PT. I had a 24 session plan projected over time and tailored to my individual needs. My trainer has a 4-year degree with several certifications and is actively engaged in marathons, PT events and general lifestyle improvement. All in all, I would say to research your choice carefully. Check credentials and even ask for a trail session to see if this is a path you would like to journey down.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I would like to post FOR the personal trainers...I have had nothing but a great result from my experience with a PT. I had a 24 session plan projected over time and tailored to my individual needs. My trainer has a 4-year degree with several certifications and is actively engaged in marathons, PT events and general lifestyle improvement. All in all, I would say to research your choice carefully. Check credentials and even ask for a trail session to see if this is a path you would like to journey down.

See, that's awesome.

That's why i said not every PT is a sham, I know there are some great ones out there and they'll give you great results.

I was just trying to point out that people are too willing to pay a PT and take their advice without looking at their credentials. I think some people think "hey they're a PT they must know what they're doing" but it's not always true.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I'm studying to be a PT right now. I do not have a college degree. I have taken college nutrition classes and been a workout freak for years. I am also shadowing a PT (plus his two trainers that work for him) while I study. (And probably driving him crazy with my million questions!)

If you put in the study time, yes, all you have to do is pass the test. But I'm guessing that if you pass the test without any background in a gym, you're going to fail as a trainer. Which is exactly what you are describing. I think checking out creditials, workout background/experience, degrees, and references are all a must before signing up with a trainer.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My former PT trains the local Fire Dept, so thats enough proof if he has to train the people that saves lives. Ive also seen other people that he trained in the past that lost tons of weight from him. He taught me not only to exercise effectively but also how to eat, in fact, he's the one that told me about MFP.
  • Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Some people need them for motivation. Works for some, isnt necessary for others. I have my 4 year degree in Kinesiology and HAD my Personal Training cert., worked as one. Trainers are in a gym 24/7, around fitness culture, usually play/ played sports, are up to date on info so they can be helpful especially for someone who has never exercised before or are in a rut.