BMR Cals vs MFP Recommended Cals

Options
So I've been doing some research concerning how many calories I should be consuming because my weightloss seems to have plateaued. I've looked through my diary and what strikes me the most is 1) I'm eating too much salt! and 2) I don't net 1200 calories a day. Based on BMR calculations I should be consuming approximately 1360 calories a day which seems a bit high so I'm just going to try and net 1200 calories a day for now, lower the sodium intake and see what happens.

For those of you that follow the BMR calories recommended have you had success? Do you feel its more accurate than MFPs recommended calorie intake? Suggestions/comments appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The MFP formula uses your BMR + daily activity and then subtracts calories based on how much you want to lose. You should be meeting the daily calorie goal that MFP sets for you.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    BMR is the calories you would burn if you basically laid in bed all day. It's what you need for your body to survive even if you have no activity at all. MFP takes your BMR and then multiplies it by something (can't remember) based on the activity level you listed, which gives you a number closer to what you actually burn on a 'regular' day of not laying in bed all day. Then if you tell MFP that you want to lose 1 lb per week, MFP takes the number for a 'regular' day and subtracts 500 calories off of that, and that's how you get your MFP calorie goal.

Some people stick with the MFP goal even if it's below their BMR, some people prefer to eat at least their BMR calories (since having a goal of eating for BMR would still put you at a deficit for weightloss, since nobody lays in bed all day, it would still result in weightloss - something think slower, some think faster b/c they feel their body will function better, it's all very individual).

I've been sticking close to the MFP recommendation (1200-ish net -sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower) and I eat back my exercise calories - so far it's worked beautifully for me, 25 lbs in 3.5 months and way more energy than I used to have before starting. Try it one way, and if you're not sure that it's working well for you after a few weeks, then consider tweaking a little bit. Everybody has an opinion on this as to what works best for them. :-)

ETA: And remember, as you lose weight your BMR gets lower b/c your body needs less energy to sustain a smaller body. That's why MFP will ask you to re-evaluate your goals after you lose 10 lbs. When it asks if you want to change your goals, go ahead and say yes. :-)
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and after I played around with my numbers some I did go back to eating my suggested BMR calories. I also make sure I eat back a substantial amount of my exercise calories. Changing this and investing in a HRM is what got me off my plateau. I'm back to losing now. Very slowly but I am losing. I eat mostly a clean diet so I do not have a sodium problem but lowering this and changing up your workouts should help as well.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing some research concerning how many calories I should be consuming because my weightloss seems to have plateaued. I've looked through my diary and what strikes me the most is 1) I'm eating too much salt! and 2) I don't net 1200 calories a day. Based on BMR calculations I should be consuming approximately 1360 calories a day which seems a bit high so I'm just going to try and net 1200 calories a day for now, lower the sodium intake and see what happens.

For those of you that follow the BMR calories recommended have you had success? Do you feel its more accurate than MFPs recommended calorie intake? Suggestions/comments appreciated. Thanks!

BMR should not be used to calculate a deficit. This is the amount of calories your body uses to keep itself functioning --- this amoutnw ould be used if you laid in bed all day and didn't eat or wiggle a pinky. It is a good idea to eat at least your BMR.

If you have hit a plateau, it's probably just because you have very little weight left to lose. If you are looking at less than 15 lbs, you should be shooting for a half pound loss per week in your settings. This number is going to look very high to you. It is not. Instead of BMR, let's look at your estimated Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Google search a TDEE calculator. My guess is your TDEE is close to 2000 calories. I can't say because I don't know your height, weight, or daily movement.

Keep in mind that when you create these massive calorie deficits, you are really doing yourself a disservice. Your body is going to be catabolizing muscle for energy, as well as fat. If you body starts eating its muscle, then you are going to burn less calories in a day and, therefore, you will need to eat less and less just to maintain. Nobody wants that.

To break a plateau, I recommend upping your calories to at least 1600 NET per day and adding some strength training 3 days per week.

For the record, I eat 1900 calories everyday. I should probably be eating more, but I am working my way up. My TDEE is approx 2300 calories. Meaning I could eat this much and not gain weight. And I can testify that I am losing inches on 1900 calories (and some lbs. too, but as I am within 15 lbs of my goal, these are slow going).
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had this issue as well and went to a nutritionist. She said MFP, like some other sites, sometimes accidently puts you at a too low calorie limit. I bumped up from 1460 to 1600, and I'm back on track
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

BMR should not be used to calculate a deficit. This is the amount of calories your body uses to keep itself functioning --- this amoutnw ould be used if you laid in bed all day and didn't eat or wiggle a pinky. It is a good idea to eat at least your BMR.

If you have hit a plateau, it's probably just because you have very little weight left to lose. If you are looking at less than 15 lbs, you should be shooting for a half pound loss per week in your settings. This number is going to look very high to you. It is not. Instead of BMR, let's look at your estimated Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Google search a TDEE calculator. My guess is your TDEE is close to 2000 calories. I can't say because I don't know your height, weight, or daily movement.

Keep in mind that when you create these massive calorie deficits, you are really doing yourself a disservice. Your body is going to be catabolizing muscle for energy, as well as fat. If you body starts eating its muscle, then you are going to burn less calories in a day and, therefore, you will need to eat less and less just to maintain. Nobody wants that.

To break a plateau, I recommend upping your calories to at least 1600 NET per day and adding some strength training 3 days per week.

Should've looked above me. THIS is what the nutritionist said. I figured my BMR was 1580 at the moment, my TDEE was over 2000, so I bumped up to 1600, but I actually will eventualyl aim for 1700. I'll still lose
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I had been eating 1200 cals a day for three months. (my BMR is 1298, my tdee is 1600 something) I found that eating MORE actually helped me break my plateau and better fuel my workouts. I went up to 1400 cals a day and I've been losing for two weeks now. I'm still eating on a deficit just a much smaller one. :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Question for those that set your goal to your BMR or close to it - do you still eat back your exercise calories or no? My BMR is only about 1343 iirc, my TDEE is 1710 I think so I've been sticking with the 1210 goal MFP gave me and then eating my exercise calories. I've felt great and had continued success so far, but I'm thinking if I stall out I may bump my goal up to BMR. The thing is, I usually eat most of my exercise calories, sometimes all but at least half, I'm wondering if I kept doing that how much difference it would really be bumping up my calories by 130. It seems like for me personally it might kind of come out as a wash just depending on how many exercise calories I eat that day. Thoughts?
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info all. It might help to tell you I'm 5ft6in, I weigh 158 and I exercise about 4-6 times a week, burning anywhere from 350-600+ calories each time. I work at a desk job so I'm sitting most of the day. Thanks again!
    Also, just want to mention I try to eat as clean as possible and or organic. Most meals in my diary are homemade.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info all. It might help to tell you I'm 5ft6in, I weigh 158 and I exercise about 4-6 times a week, burning anywhere from 350-600+ calories each time. I work at a desk job so I'm sitting most of the day. Thanks again!
    Also, just want to mention I try to eat as clean as possible and or organic. Most meals in my diary are homemade.

@elo83 - What I meant by eating a "Clean Diet" was eating a plant based diet with lots of fruits, veggies, greens, beans , and legumes. I do eat fish and eggs but no red meats, ham, chicken or beef. I stay away from dairy products, processed sweeteners, coffee, soda, and am in the process of eliminating processed food all together from my diet.

Try removing these things from your diet and replacing them with more fruits, veggies, greens, and beans.

1. Splenda
    2. Ham & Sausage
    3. Cheddar Cheese
    4. Coffee
    5. Pretzels
  • bev1017
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new here....can someone please explain the acronyms BMR + MFP?
    Thanks!!